GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

It's not about numbers, Tony. It's about irrational obsession.

I need to change my handle name to that. Explains me pretty well.

Speaking of which, my PL7 arrived. Sweet little camera. 3-axis is a nice up from the 2. Build quality is nice.
I got it in a bundle and wasn't sure if I was going to keep it or not. I think I will.
Thanks for the recommend Matt @MoonMind.

Do you have the PL7 Steve?

I'm thinking very strongly after this month is over, I'm going to reduce my gear to one (1) camera, and it's not one of my current 3. I'm buying a Panasonic G95. I previously owned a 16 MP G80 (shipped to me from the UK), and now I want to try its 20 MP successor. The Pen-F, X-E2, and X30 will all go. I'll mount the P 45-150 on the G95, and that will be my walk-around (or bike-around) combo. If I need more reach ever, I'll crop as much as the image resolution allows. My O 45/1.8 will be my low light option, or the O 17/1.8 if I need wider. The film Pen F 38/1.8 will be retired to my display shelf with my small collection of old film gear. I'll use the rental FZ1000 II for a week, and send it back. I've been thinking as I get older I just have too much stuff; this is one area where I can cut some clutter.

I just ordered the G95, and I'm really going to work on making it my last camera purchase for a long time. As I finalized the deal, I was reminded of a conversation I had a couple of years ago with the lady photographing our granddaughter's 1st birthday. She was a single mom, photographing family events and portraits to supplement her regular job. Her camera was a Canon DSLR (don't remember the model), and she owned a single lens. It was a gift from her deceased husband, and she had had it for several years. She had no desire to sell it, trade it, or upgrade it in any way. In fact, she specifically said it was her most treasured possession.

The conversation made me feel a bit chagrined, as for a long time I haven't been shy about swapping gear when I was interested in something different. A couple of times I have let the gear hoarding get out of hand, and had to dial back the gear grab. Now I'm back to the point that I'll have one camera only within a few days. It is my hope to keep it that way. And that is my small GAS desire . . . to not have GAS.

Ha, I’ve done that before as well - like buying a lens for a mount you don’t currently own, giving you the only option but to buy that camera 🤣
Wasn't my first time either – I have bought adapters for lenses I didn't own, most recently an adapter Exakta bayonet -> Sony E-mount when I saw some nice Exakta lenses; still have to buy my first Exakta lens but that's only a matter of time :).

cams.jpg

Pentax KP auction closes in 9 hours. I *really* don't want to win! :D I've been in a spot where I don't have big compulsions spending money on gear, would like to keep it that way.

But if I do win, I'll be paying for it about the same I did for Fujifilm X-T1 3 years ago.

No good Nikons on the used market right now so that GAS is at bay. I have my two Nikkors ready to go, it's a tough spot.

Leica SL is always there in my heart. Whenever I check out LUF threads on photographing with older lenses, I get a mad craving. No need to worry about mechanics or coupling or focus shift even. If the lens transmits light, it's good to go on the SL.

I put a bid in for a Canon EF 85mm F1.2 today. Haven't even got a Canon DSLR:LOL: But the starting bid was low and it's obvious a lens like that is going to create magic so I'd be quite happy for it to sit there if the price is low. Missed out by $20.

My latest desire is the Leica Q. Used prices have dropped to somewhat manageable levels and I think it could be my main travel/family camera. Smallish size with FF goodness, in a camera that makes you want to bring it with you.

But, my fear is that many say it’s a gateway in the Leica system and I for one, do not have the budget for the SL or M cameras/lenses.

I do think the Q could cover about 90% of my needs, but I’d still need another system for long focal lengths for stuff like portraits or kids sports.

This will only happen if the right deal comes up. I am also eagerly awaiting Sony’s “budget” FF announcement that should come next month. If they drop the FF sensor in something like the A6600 body, I think I’d be set for a long time and finally upgrade on my A7ii.

I do admire that. I'm trying to get there, but I seem to change my mind about my gear almost as much as I change my socks. :D

LOL - this is me as well. I want to simplify, and have done some for the most part (only have one system now), but I am tempted by some of the great camera options out there. See above temptation reference :roflmao:

My big desire these days is the desire for time to go out for several hours of shooting for fun without work or personal commitments looming over me.
Do that almost every day now that I'm retired. The fact that I don't have to answer to anyone about my photography (or most any other things) has been a great relief and keeps me enjoying it.

But, my fear is that many say it’s a gateway in the Leica system and I for one, do not have the budget for the SL or M cameras/lenses.
It absolutely is. You may get infatuated with the accuratest-ever autofocus and wish for SL, or the lens characteristics and image quality and jump for M. Both mean serious money.

Q alone is such a serious camera, the lens is fantastic, the compact dimensions for a FF camera, fast action. Image stabilization, that you can set to activate when shutter speeds frop below 1/60 sec. This camera is a night time monster and a street/travel camera to the highest degree.

Now that the Pentax deal missed me by mere inches, I consider myself lucky and saved a grand or so (the new camera would surely need lenses!).

I'm back to thinking about SL. 2000 € buys a used one with 1 year of warranty.

But this desire is easy to fight off. The body is bulky and everything. The Nikkor lenses for example could be autofocused if I leaned towards Nikon.

Then again, why not scratch the itch... These AF-D lenses can be traded to Ai lenses or even Olympus/Canon/younameit MF lenses and even save a bit money in the process.

I always took a looong time to commit to any purchase, especially when it was a camera body.
I would pick the core set of lenses I would use with it. Not that I would buy everything at once!
It worked out well for me and I found going through the decision process even fun.
Up till this day, I've never resold anything :)

I did sent back one lens though even though the seller had marked 'no returns accepted'. Luckily he was an honest person and was shocked when I told I saw traces of fungus.
We agreed on me sending the lens back and getting a refund.

I am "looking forward" towards retirement as I hope for more time again for photography then, like @Ad Dieleman.
(between quotes because that's still 4 years away and that's too long to start counting down :rolleyes:)

I do admire that. I'm trying to get there, but I seem to change my mind about my gear almost as much as I change my socks. :D

New entry level Panasonic is coming in Fall, hopefully smaller than the current ones and not crippled like G100:

It absolutely is. You may get infatuated with the accuratest-ever autofocus and wish for SL, or the lens characteristics and image quality and jump for M. Both mean serious money.

Q alone is such a serious camera, the lens is fantastic, the compact dimensions for a FF camera, fast action. Image stabilization, that you can set to activate when shutter speeds frop below 1/60 sec. This camera is a night time monster and a street/travel camera to the highest degree.

Back