GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

It absolutely is. You may get infatuated with the accuratest-ever autofocus and wish for SL, or the lens characteristics and image quality and jump for M. Both mean serious money.

Q alone is such a serious camera, the lens is fantastic, the compact dimensions for a FF camera, fast action. Image stabilization, that you can set to activate when shutter speeds frop below 1/60 sec. This camera is a night time monster and a street/travel camera to the highest degree.

Thanks for confirming some of the warnings I heard, while also balancing it out with some gas to keep the flame alive 😆

As mentioned, it would have to be the right deal for me to jump on one. Like your Pentax bid, I’m kind hoping that doesn’t happen. Lol

After some Leica SL lust (last had in January) I believe I'm gradually back to considering the Nikon Df.

So interesting to consider how these cameras are worlds apart in UX.

If only Panasonic came up with a GX8 Mark 2 to "help" things out.

And *sigh* now there are some Leica deals to be had.

LEICA FRANKENFINDER for example. I don't see 28mm lines too comfortably on my M, which is a considerable part why I am even lusting after TTL cameras in the first place. Frankenfinder would offer those lines, alongside 24, 21, 18, and 16. I sure have my EVF (Olympus VF-2) and my crappy all-plastic Leica 21mm one (they cost the same, the atrocity lol).

Secondly the long-lusted-for SUMMILUX-M 21 is available for some 3700 €. It would come with another plastic Leica viewfinder. Does this speciality lens make any sense whatsoever when there's the new charactermatic (it's a new word) TTArtisan 21/1.5 for 450 €...

I don’t know how this happened but I’ve started to think about EOS RP to complement my Canon gear, 5D mark III + 35&50mm L lenses 👀

Fingers crossed that I don’t find a good deal. I would need to trade in something to finance this nonsense …
Just place a bid and spend the next few days sweating that you might win. No one on this forum knows what that's like. :rofl:

As a GAS suppression technique, it might be a good idea to just list everything you've bid on over the last year or so, read it, then give yourself a slap. My gear's under control and has been for a while, but just thinking over the the gear I've bid on but either lost or won then pulled out of after the brain knocked the heart into sense: Sony A7RII, Pentax K200D, Nikkor 85mm F1.4D, Nikkor 135mm F2 DC, Summicron 50mm F1.4 (APSH and pre APSH), the Canon 50 & 85 F1.2s, Canon 135mm F2, Zeiss Flektogon 35mm F2.4, Canon 6D Mark II (and not forgetting my beloved GRII which prefer to my III). And there's definitely more. Not even funny. But as I said, it's all under control. Currently.

Last edited:
Here is one I won’t buy any time soon but still fascinates me: the new Sony A7Siii. I don’t shoot video and still wouldn’t, but I wonder about it as a stills camera. I’m fine with the A7 bodies ergonomically, especially after I discovered those stupid little plates that extend the grip just enough to catch the pinky. I just spent a month using first Gen Pens so I’m back in the zen of the 12 MP sensors. I can’t help but wonder what it would be like to stick on the Sigma 45 with better AF, better EVF, good IBIS, and a 12 MP sensor that can produce results at ISO = 10^5. It just brings out the photo-vampire in me. I looked at the older models but even version II is too spendy. The IBIS-less A7S is getting there if I had an OIS lens. 🤓 No point here, as I’m sure the A7Riii could down sample to a similar result. I love the idea, however, of a bullet-proof 12 MP camera.

Last edited:
Here is one I won’t buy any time soon but still fascinates me: the new Sony A7Siii. I don’t shoot video and still wouldn’t, but I wonder about it as a stills camera. I’m fine with the A7 bodies ergonomically, specially after I discovered those stupid little plates that extend the grip just enough to catch the pinky. I just spent a month using first Gen Pens so I’m back in the zen of the 12 MP sensors. I can’t help but wonder what it would be like to stick on the Sigma 45 with better AF, better EVF, good IBIS, and a 12 MP sensor that can produce results at ISO = 10^5. It just brings out the photo-vampire in me. I looked at the older models but even version II is too spendy. The IBIS-less A7S is getting there if I had an OIS lens. 🤓 No point here, as I’m sure the A7Riii could down sample to a similar result. I love the idea, however, of a bullet-proof 12 MP camera.
Only 12 megapickels but some of the images I've seen from even the first version of that camera taken in the middle of the night look quite remarkable, regardless of the lens used. It does seem unique.

Yesterday watched a video comparing Olympus E-M1.2 to Fuji XT2. He gave glowing praise to Fuji XT2's direct controls, only I treated the XT2 in the video as a proxy for Nikon Df since it operates similarly. So it was a win for Nikon Df!

Only in the same video he complained about the weight of his older Canon DSLR setup so right back at me!

LEICA FRANKENFINDER for example. I don't see 28mm lines too comfortably on my M, which is a considerable part why I am even lusting after TTL cameras in the first place. Frankenfinder would offer those lines, alongside 24, 21, 18, and 16. I sure have my EVF (Olympus VF-2) and my crappy all-plastic Leica 21mm one (they cost the same, the atrocity lol).

Secondly the long-lusted-for SUMMILUX-M 21 is available for some 3700 €. It would come with another plastic Leica viewfinder. Does this speciality lens make any sense whatsoever when there's the new charactermatic (it's a new word) TTArtisan 21/1.5 for 450 €...
Some madman actually went ahead and bought both items (not necessarily the same madman).

I don't know if I should be relieved or saddened.

21 Summilux-M, that one I'm not overly heartbroken. It's a terrifying amount of money for a FL that gets so little use in my toolbox. Plus the few ways how UWA and rangefinder don't mix and match, one'd have to be a regular lottery winner to get into that.

The Frankenfinder, on the other hand, is still with my thoughts. It's just so big and bulky.

A new Deep Parabolic Softbox
1597054529239.jpeg

I don't remember which thread it was here but one of them started me looking(again) at the EOS R/Nikon Z systems. Been round and round on all the other systems so this is quite exciting.

The Z5 looks amazing especially since I have Nikon roots but cost of the RP is very appealing. I think the RP lack of actually works well in my favor as it excludes some of the stuff that don't need.

So, this morning I stopped by the local bestbuy to take a look.
Luckily they had an RP. A half hour later and I left with a very positive impression. I think it will work out very nicely.

Which is a good thing because I found a NIB private party for $300 off list and ordered it a few days ago.
I have an RF 351.8 on the way as well and will be waiting very impatiently for the RF 85F2 for release.
I also plan on getting an EF to RF adapter and probably at least a few EF lenses.

Back