GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I don't remember which thread it was here but one of them started me looking(again) at the EOS R/Nikon Z systems. Been round and round on all the other systems so this is quite exciting.

The Z5 looks amazing especially since I have Nikon roots but cost of the RP is very appealing. I think the RP lack of actually works well in my favor as it excludes some of the stuff that don't need.

So, this morning I stopped by the local bestbuy to take a look.
Luckily they had an RP. A half hour later and I left with a very positive impression. I think it will work out very nicely.

Which is a good thing because I found a NIB private party for $300 off list and ordered it a few days ago.
I have an RF 351.8 on the way as well and will be waiting very impatiently for the RF 85F2 for release.
I also plan on getting an EF to RF adapter and probably at least a few EF lenses.

Ah, so you pulled the trigger! Did you get that $700 RP on FM? I thought I saw one listed there. I'm also eyeing the 85/2. But first, I need to answer my own question about -- what's an m43 20MP body w/the 17/1.2 like vs the RP with the 35/1.8.

Yesterday I went out with the RP + 35 and G85 + Sigma 60. That was a nice pairing.

Ah, so you pulled the trigger! Did you get that $700 RP on FM? I thought I saw one listed there. I'm also eyeing the 85/2. But first, I need to answer my own question about -- what's an m43 20MP body w/the 17/1.2 like vs the RP with the 35/1.8.

Yesterday I went out with the RP + 35 and G85 + Sigma 60. That was a nice pairing.

I did.
Wasn't that one. I got one with the slow 24-105.
The size and price seem like a good tradeoff for it's slow F7.1.
Should work well with the 35/85.

I got to handle the 24-240 in Bestbuy. Handles nice for FF lens with that range.

Have you decided which 20mp? G9 or G95?

C stands for the heavier lights and a boom arm/clamp kit since I need a second boom arm.
1597576462033.png

1597576473805.png

While I promised to hold still wrt Leica purchases, I foolishly promised nothing on other camera gear! :dash2: So here we are.

Panasonic G9 is almost a done deal. Almost. The body commands a pretty darn good resale value when you think that the camera went quite fast (in six months or so) from $1800 to $1000 and then bounced back up to above. These days it still seems to draw 600+ euros in the EU and $800-$900 in the US. Not bad if you bought it brand new for 990 euros in early 2019.

But I stop and think, what about that older G80 then. Pros: much cheaper (~250 €) and has the same sensor as my GX80: a pleasant grain like noise is a known thing.

Plus my reasons to even buy a larger body are a little silly.

But anyway, 250 euros on G80 or 600+ euros on G9.

My Nikon Df of course mixes things further up because it exists, I own one and it performs tremendously well* in low light, and Nikon glass is much cheaper than equivalently fast M4/3 glass. *(Except when autofocusing.)

--

There was a time, a couple of years back when I resisted the idea about having two systems because I would be splitting my time and effort between systems instead of mastering one. Then I adapted to dual system because financially it makes sense. Now I'm seriously looking to expanding to three-system usage, I would like to draw my line to two, just like I drew the line on one 3 years ago.

I've gone pretty deep now. Even downloaded sample raw files to check how the files look on my photo developer. This is usually well past the point of no return. (On a related note, ISO 12800 looks really good, whaaat?)

And I've also spent a good minute or two exploring the various speed boosters and tilt/shift adapters too.

An 85/1.8 becomes a 135/2.8 once speed-boosted and adapted to M4/3. (It'll gather light much better though.)

This " fast 135" thing is a new obsession and I'm constantly thinking if I can have a similar option for M4/3. The native lenses are costly (CV 60/0.95 and Oly 75/1.8) compared to my 125 € purchase. Speed boosters could aid here. Yet I have to question my own needs here for a bit better.

I went to see G9 again in person. The battery was dead and the salespeople were busy with people who were more willing to part with their money so I didn't bother them to ask for a replacement.

Now I had a chance to see the Z6, R5 and R6 in person. Very compact and beautiful bodies. Z6 had a f/4 zoom on it and the first glance through the EVF didn't leave any favorable impressions though. It was laggy in a way EVFs get in dim light. Imagine being a life-long Nikon shooter and OVF fan and then going to see that travesty as the first dip into mirrorless.

I did like the overall presentation and focusing action but actually didn't pay any attention to any of it because I forgot I was supposed to desire one yesterday. :D

Canon R5 had a dead battery but R6 was alive and well. That EVF is lower specced than that of R5 but on par with Z6. What beautiful optics in it though! The camera was wielding the compact RF 35 mm f/1.8 so it had a 2.33 stop advantage but frankly I think the Nikon should have boosted the view using ISO. Perhaps it was in M or something, I should've really paid more attention. But I didn't because in my tunnel vision the Panasonic G9 was the only target I had.

Canon R6 might be the power tool to kill Sony once and for all (hardly) but what a computer LOL. Just looking through that big and beautiful viewfinder any little movement elicited a flurry of focus boxes and face recognition boxes of different color and frankly it looked like I was watching a Star Wars movie for a moment. I imagine that camera also has a trusty "one focus box" type of AF mode but then I'd spend my hours wondering if the camera was actually an overkill for my modest needs.

But wow, what an EVF in it. The resolution and refresh rate of the panel used is only a small part of the story: optics matter. The same story with G9 really even though this time I couldn't experience that.

It would just be nice to hold a camera before I buy it. We talk so much about ergonomics, but it's really difficult to try different bodies online. I suppose you can rent, but that's more expensive than just saying "can I try that one?". OTOH, I'm sure @mike3996 is absolutely right about GAS when the camera is i your hand and someone is there to encourage you.

It would just be nice to hold a camera before I buy it. We talk so much about ergonomics, but it's really difficult to try different bodies online. I suppose you can rent, but that's more expensive than just saying "can I try that one?". OTOH, I'm sure @mike3996 is absolutely right about GAS when the camera is i your hand and someone is there to encourage you.
In my city there are 2 serious camera stores and a more general electronics store where I can freely handle various cameras, albeit not the top-of-the-line models. In my experience handling cameras works both ways GAS-wise: however much I tried, I never managed to like a Fuji camera; I just abhor Olympus cameras; I fell in love with the Canon M5 but didn't buy it because of specs; I tried the Sony A7m3 but didn't like its AF speed enough to ditch my Sony A7Rm2; etc. etc. I was trying a Sony A7Rm4 to see how the finder would work with my beloved Zeiss Loxias and was impressed by its AF speed, enough to get it. In short, yes, it helps tremendously in picking a camera and it can spur GAS as well as kill it.

In my city there are 2 serious camera stores and a more general electronics store where I can freely handle various cameras, albeit not the top-of-the-line models. In my experience handling cameras works both ways GAS-wise: however much I tried, I never managed to like a Fuji camera; I just abhor Olympus cameras; I fell in love with the Canon M5 but didn't buy it because of specs; I tried the Sony A7m3 but didn't like its AF speed enough to ditch my Sony A7Rm2; etc. etc. I was trying a Sony A7Rm4 to see how the finder would work with my beloved Zeiss Loxias and was impressed by its AF speed, enough to get it. In short, yes, it helps tremendously in picking a camera and it can spur GAS as well as kill it.
Part of me knows I should never touch a Nikon.

A funny story. In 1973 (I was 15), I had an older friend of mine drive to a camera store armed with $150 of my money to buy me a camera. On his suggestion, he was going to buy a Nikkormat. Instead, he came back with a Pentax SP 500 because he got a better deal. I then used only Pentaxes for the next 30 years. I always wondered what would’ve happened if he come back with that Nikkormat.

I think that in spite of all the possible shortcomings of the Sony A7C, it may be my best move *should* I decide to keep the FE mount around.

I briefly thought about the Nikon Z 7 II, but I simply don't believeI would ever use that camera to its full potential. Better keep culling the herd ... Maybe later (third generation, perhaps - or lower prices ...).

On that note, I think it's become clear already that the little Z 50 has grown on me considerably - to the point that even though I still prefer the output (and the gestalt) of the Fujifilm X-E3, I prefer the Z 50 in the hand and on the go (the kit lens is a real charmer!). Nothing's perfect, of course - after using the Z 6 again, it's even more of an annoyance that the Z 50's front dial isn't as tactile as its bigger brother's. Sigh ... However, I hope Nikon gets its act together on the 40mm and 28mm Z primes soon (both small, pancake-like designs) - I'd love to have the Z 50 as well as the Z 6 in an even smaller package (thank to their great handling, I don't mind them in bigger setups, but I prefer to go small and light). Who knows what may happen in that case ... However, I adore what the Fujifilm 18-55mm, 27mm, 23mm f/2 and 90mm f/2 bring to the table - they're just such fine lenses for their size (except the 90mm) and price (especially the 90mm!). Fujifilm may be an acquired taste for some (it certainly was for me), but it's pretty addictive ...

M.

I think that in spite of all the possible shortcomings of the Sony A7C, it may be my best move *should* I decide to keep the FE mount around.

I briefly thought about the Nikon Z 7 II, but I simply don't believeI would ever use that camera to its full potential. Better keep culling the herd ... Maybe later (third generation, perhaps - or lower prices ...).

On that note, I think it's become clear already that the little Z 50 has grown on me considerably - to the point that even though I still prefer the output (and the gestalt) of the Fujifilm X-E3, I prefer the Z 50 in the hand and on the go (the kit lens is a real charmer!). Nothing's perfect, of course - after using the Z 6 again, it's even more of an annoyance that the Z 50's front dial isn't as tactile as its bigger brother's. Sigh ... However, I hope Nikon gets its act together on the 40mm and 28mm Z primes soon (both small, pancake-like designs) - I'd love to have the Z 50 as well as the Z 6 in an even smaller package (thank to their great handling, I don't mind them in bigger setups, but I prefer to go small and light). Who knows what may happen in that case ... However, I adore what the Fujifilm 18-55mm, 27mm, 23mm f/2 and 90mm f/2 bring to the table - they're just such fine lenses for their size (except the 90mm) and price (especially the 90mm!). Fujifilm may be an acquired taste for some (it certainly was for me), but it's pretty addictive ...

M.
Many derided the A7C and I think Sony is going to sell a bunch of them. I suspect it's not a camera for purists but rather for pragmatists. Sony's output, like Olympus, is very "clinical" but the hit rate is also very high. The videos of the tracking AF-C on the A7C are amazing.

Last edited:
Agree with the comments on the A7c - it’s a strong offering and Sony will sell a ton of them.

It’ll likely be in my hands by year end if I know myself well ;) , I just want to see if I can test out the EVF in person, before ordering one. Or at least get some opinions from real users (not the hype machine reviewers).

Back