GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Agree with the comments on the A7c - it’s a strong offering and Sony will sell a ton of them.

It’ll likely be in my hands by year end if I know myself well ;) , I just want to see if I can test out the EVF in person, before ordering one. Or at least get some opinions from real users (not the hype machine reviewers).
I'm hoping to resist by buying the Fuji X-S10. :rofl:

It's possible that I'll pick up a Sony A7c. But, I think if I were starting over and had no systems at all, I'd probably get a Fuji X100V, a Sony RX10 IV... and if I was really flush with cash I would also pick up a Leica Q2. And that would be it - no interchangable lenses at all. Frankly, those three cameras would probably cover all the bases for me.

How about an X100 series camera with basically the guts of an X-T200 - including Bayer sensor? If Fuji put out something like this for under a grand, it would bring the house down.
Fuji started the series out with bayer sensor. Then moved to the X-trans. You are right that a lower cost bayer sensor version would bring the house down.

An APS-C version of the Fuji X30, kept to the size of the X-T2, with WR thrown in. And the glass must be fast, say f2.8-4. I'd be OK with reducing the FL somewhat to keep the size down. Say 28-75 or 90mm. Manual zoom only, like the X30. If Fuji could do that, such a camera would be my forever camera.

Agree with the comments on the A7c - it’s a strong offering and Sony will sell a ton of them.

It’ll likely be in my hands by year end if I know myself well ;) , I just want to see if I can test out the EVF in person, before ordering one. Or at least get some opinions from real users (not the hype machine reviewers).

I think Sony intentionally priced it high for early adopters. I think this camera will eventually sell in the $1499 and under price range, which puts used prices closer to the $1200 range! :D

I think Sony intentionally priced it high for early adopters. I think this camera will eventually sell in the $1499 and under price range, which puts used prices closer to the $1200 range! :D

Yeah, depends how well it sells. I agree that it should have been priced lower in that $1500 - $1600 range, but Sony really has no direct competition due to the size. Also, the A7iii off which it’s based has stayed with a steady MSRP of $2k since launch, because it’s that good of a camera, with no threats pushing it down - even in a world with $1300 RP’s.

The Techart TZM-01 M-mount to Z AF adapter is in the works! This is an early pre-production unit, but I'm thinking the larger diameter Z-mount might improve on some of the issues the Sony E-mount version had with heavier lenses. Now I'm thinking it's time to get a Nikon Z body! :D

I *am* keen to see how these new Nikon or (Canon for that matter) mirrorless cameras render images from the FD/AI-S/M/M42/S mount lenses using these adapters, one would assume/ hope the character of the lenses remain, different to the native lenses.

I *am* keen to see how these new Nikon or (Canon for that matter) mirrorless cameras render images from the FD/AI-S/M/M42/S mount lenses using these adapters, one would assume/ hope the character of the lenses remain, different to the native lenses.
In my opinion, Sony is actually the worst physical mount to adapt lenses to. I think either Canon or Nikon are better suited for adapting due to wider diameter mounts (less chances of vignetting) and thin sensor glass stack on both R and Z mounts (better corners especially with wide angle lenses). In Sony's favor though is an open license to create adapters and lenses for the E-mount. With Canon and Nikon everything needs to be backwards engineered.

A funny story. In 1973 (I was 15), I had an older friend of mine drive to a camera store armed with $150 of my money to buy me a camera. On his suggestion, he was going to buy a Nikkormat. Instead, he came back with a Pentax SP 500 because he got a better deal. I then used only Pentaxes for the next 30 years. I always wondered what would’ve happened if he come back with that Nikkormat.
You'd end up struggling with your conscience when shooting with Canon 5D M3 instead of Nikon Dƒ, like me :whistle: [Nikkormat EL was my first own camera]

Last edited:
Well I already have the F1, F2 and F3 so what came next?

Nikon F4 02.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An APS-C version of the Fuji X30, kept to the size of the X-T2, with WR thrown in. And the glass must be fast, say f2.8-4. I'd be OK with reducing the FL somewhat to keep the size down. Say 28-75 or 90mm. Manual zoom only, like the X30. If Fuji could do that, such a camera would be my forever camera.
That would be perfect. It’ll never happen!

I was thinking the best you could do for the original size would be a 1” sensor. Then I looked up this:
The question is how big that original zoom would have to be to go 28-112 mme. it would at least have to be slower. I still would love to see an x40 with a 1” XTrans sensor. I think the zoom compromise would work better, like the RX100 series. I’ve been using the X20 lately since the size is perfect for daily carry, so I’d want a similar size.

Last edited:
While I was at the camera size website, i noticed they have a size for the X-S10. It turns out it is essentially the size of the X100V:
It you go the the bottom view with lenses, you realize the grip extends about as far as the 27 mm:
It only weights 80 g more, and that is essentially the lens.

While I was at the camera size website, i noticed they have a size for the X-S10. It turns out it is essentially the size of the X100V:
It you go the the bottom view with lenses, you realize the grip extends about as far as the 27 mm:
It only weights 80 g more, and that is essentially the lens.
You're going to buy an X-S10. I just have a premonition.

Back