GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

B&H has a used silver body for $1474 & 2 with kit lenses:
Used a7c | B&H Photo Video

It will be a small combo with the new Sigma lenses:
LEAKED: First images of the new Sigma 24mm f/3.5, 35mm f/2.0 and 65mm f/2.0 DG DN FE lenses! - sonyalpharumors

Good deal for sure. Being in Canada, I have to factor in the exchange and lack of warranty. Spending this much, I’d prefer to just got new with a “Canadian” model.

As for the Sigmas - oh man, this is great news. Those lenses, with the existing 45, seem like they were made for the A7c. Compact, well built, and all with aperture rings (who needs a front dial! LOL).

For a moment I hoped to see a 28mm but no such luck. Lens manufacturers seem to avoid 28mm like the plague.
24mm is fine for fast f/2.8 zooms, but for primes I feel 24mm not wide enough when I want to go wider and 28mm has less distortion than 24mm making it more pleasing to the eye. For current AF lenses, Nikon does makes both 28mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 primes, Sigma has a massive 28mm f/1.4 and Sony has their 28mm f/2 prime. Everyone else would rather cover that focal length with wide zooms though. One of my favorite 28mm primes was the classic 28mm f/2.8 AI-S from Nikon. That lens is a work of art!

24mm is fine for fast f/2.8 zooms, but for primes I feel 24mm not wide enough when I want to go wider and 28mm has less distortion than 24mm making it more pleasing to the eye. For current AF lenses, Nikon does makes both 28mm f/1.4 and f/1.8 primes, Sigma has a massive 28mm f/1.4 and Sony has their 28mm f/2 prime. Everyone else would rather cover that focal length with wide zooms though. One of my favorite 28mm primes was the classic 28mm f/2.8 AI-S from Nikon. That lens is a work of art!
Yep, only 2 native Sony FE lenses. The Sigma 1.4/28 is a monster lens and I don't like the Sony FE 2/28. I make do with the Carl Zeiss Distagon 2.8/28 in Contax/Yashica mount or, surprisingly, with the Sony FE 4/24-70 set at 28mm. That latter lens is quite good across the frame at 28mm and it holds up well closer-up. But I still hope we'll get a reasonably sized good quality native 28mm.

Kamerastore went to Cyber Monday deals straight away and is putting digital gear in attractive discounts.

If I knew at this point I want to go into M4/3 there'd be great things to buy.

Oly EM-1.2, 600 € :)
EPL9 in denim blue, 188 € :D
E-P5 127 € :eek:

Luckily no interesting Panasonics on display...

Then an assortment of interesting lenses to match, O17/1.8, P20, O25/1.2 and O45/1.2, O75/1.8.

Again, luckily no interesting PanaLeicas in stock. Would make things so much more harder to resist.

If anything, perhaps I'll snatch the P20 because I don't have any fast lenses for my small M4/3 setup currently. P20 + GX80 is a winter jacket pocket camera for strolls in the cold.

The battle of MILC cameras continue.

This evening my mood swings towards Nikon Z6. Ultimately for me a FF MILC camera has to be about adapting foreign lenses on it.
Yesterday on my youtube binging I started to lean towards Panasonic S5.

I don't know if I can tolerate the "on-sensor PDAF flare" that Nikon sample images occasionally show. I like to shoot against the sun.

Panasonic relies on that CDAF performance so it chooses the good company of the rangefinders and DSLRs, having no extra pixels on the sensor causing ruin.

A big plus is the Panasonic software that has all sorts of useful things that kind of stay out of the way.

And of course the huge minus is the 2.36 MP EVF. For adapted MF lenses better is always better. A less huge minus is the fully articulating screen.

Addendum:

LOL, S5 not only tickles my L mount fancy but it kind of brings Leica SL2 on the table for whatever reason. SL2 is simply too big and heavy and expensive but no denying it wouldn't be perfect for everything.

With 2021 seeing me effectively halve my living expenses and leaving me with €€€ with extra spendable in wallet, it's going to be a dangerous year...

Last edited:
You know, part of the way the internet is both a positive, amazing thing and a bit of a bummer is that we have a great community here, but we're all so spread out. Wouldn't it be cool if we were all part of a "local" photography group and could share images, gear and all directly?

I was looking at the below scanner and realized that it could benefit a lot of film shooters. A halfway decent scanner is such a big expenditure for a single person, and I shoot and develop film only sometimes, with months in between rolls sometimes. If we had a way of circulating a piece of gear like this around, so it could benefit multiple photographers, it would be pretty awesome!

PowerFilm Scanner

You know, part of the way the internet is both a positive, amazing thing and a bit of a bummer is that we have a great community here, but we're all so spread out. Wouldn't it be cool if we were all part of a "local" photography group and could share images, gear and all directly?

I was looking at the below scanner and realized that it could benefit a lot of film shooters. A halfway decent scanner is such a big expenditure for a single person, and I shoot and develop film only sometimes, with months in between rolls sometimes. If we had a way of circulating a piece of gear like this around, so it could benefit multiple photographers, it would be pretty awesome!

PowerFilm Scanner
There's a guy at my office with a Contax T which to me looks like a Rolls Royce version of an Olympus Trip with it's built in Zeiss lens etc however, the amount it's costing to convert those files to digital is, to me, prohibitive. This could be the answer.

There's a guy at my office with a Contax T which to me looks like a Rolls Royce version of an Olympus Trip with it's built in Zeiss lens etc however, the amount it's costing to convert those files to digital is, to me, prohibitive. This could be the answer.
I've thought about seeing if anyone was up for mailing me 35mm negatives if I were to drop the money on a scanner like this, for something like $10 a roll plus mailing the negatives back and providing the scans in a dropbox or similar. I don't know whether this is economical or not.

Decent quality scans are not cheap, especially if you wanted to get the whole roll done instead of picking a few images. If anyone is actually interested in this, let me know. It could help me pitch the cost effectiveness of something like this :D I just don't know that I have enough exposure in the few forums I'm a part of, plus my very quiet blog.

Just saw this:

It *is* official, too:

Now *that* one I won't be able to skip ... I already had a hard time not to pounce on the Nokton Vintage 50mm f/1.5 II. Oh, well ...

If you don't know why I'm so excited, well, here's a pointer:

The optics are apparently more or less the same, optimised for the rangefinder.

M.

I wish Cosina would reintroduce the 90mm APO Lanthar for M mount. It would be the ninety I'd go for.
I kind of agree ... but that was a SLR lens; they'd need to completely recalculate the formula, and there's no telling what the result would be (and look) like.

I think the Nokton 75mm f/1.5 is very interesting - but I'm so happy with the "lowly" Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 I simply don't feel the need to try that lens ...

M.

Just saw this:

It *is* official, too:

Now *that* one I won't be able to skip ... I already had a hard time not to pounce on the Nokton Vintage 50mm f/1.5 II. Oh, well ...

If you don't know why I'm so excited, well, here's a pointer:

The optics are apparently more or less the same, optimised for the rangefinder.

M.
Obviously as it’s a Voigt, it’s going to be good but at the same time it’s a 50mm. We all have them already. And what’s more, most 50mm lenses we have are generally already good so you’d have to have a pretty good reason to buy a new one. Sort of puts me off even getting the holy grail summilux for the rangefinder. Even the old $20 Nikkor AF-D I used for the (I think) single in July last time round was...really good!

After-Christmas sales are already here, and the tripod question looms nigh.

Peak Design Travel Tripods are now 319/499 EUR aluminum/carbon fiber, respectively. I should probably just snatch one and "be done with it". It's not like I can get further GAS about a tripod...? :confused-95:

Back