GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

^ I'll watch the video later but I believe the main problem with 24-200z is that one has to use a Z camera with it. Nothing wrong with the cameras but you know my particular conflict about mirrorless cameras. :D I want to stick with Panasonic M4/3 for the time being.

Speaking of M4/3...

I wandered off for a minute to browse FS ads and right away found myself trouble; new internal conflicts to battle.

One is selling three attractive M43 lenses, all I could use in my roster. As a package deal, the price is right. But they're all primes and that's not necessarily what I am after.

Primes I have plenty of, for Leica M, for Nikon. Only very recently did I buy my first prime for M4/3 system for night time shooting. I am not at all sure I should be expanding my M4/3 setup with primes because the catalogue of great lightweight zooms is the one exotic thing that separates M4/3 from Leica M, or from FF overall.

• PL 15 f/1.7
  • P 25 f/1.7
  • P 42.5 f/1.7

I had to go back right to the beginning of this thread to see what kicked it off and was surprised to see the item there, Fujinon 16mm f1.4 lens was also my most wanted item - still! I probably will get one from the Fuji Shop in the UK at some point. They sell refurbished lenses on there at a really decent price and their quality is usually "can't tell it from a new one" standard.

:( If true, my favourite way of moving forward (i.e. reducing my kit while enhancing my gear capabilities) is no more.

Not too big a deal, just a pity. But together with the reported delays for Nikon due to the lockdown in Japan, I'll have to wait longer than expected.

Now, where's that Leica CL2 with I.B.I.S.? (Nowhere, most probably, judging from my usual luck ... *grumble*)

M.

Last edited:
For two grand EUR I could either buy a used Leica Summilux 35/1.4 from 1979 with some scratches on glass,

or raid the TTArtisan shop and get the excellent 21/1.5, 35/1.4, 50/0.95, 11/2.8 lenses shipped, with VAT money included should my package hit the "Bankrupt wedge" so to speak.

Choices, choices. Right now, I'll get nothing. Come next week maybe I'll have both.

This may be a bit of an unusual post in this thread, but here goes:

I admit that the Fujifilm GFX100S has me super-exited. In spite of what I'll say in a moment, this is almost certainly going to continue ...

But ... Over the last couple of months I've come to the realisation that right now, I want a (main) system that's as versatile as possible while remaining reasonably compact. And while the GFX system offers superior quality and, with the GFX100S at its core, would be amazingly versatile and compact *for what it is*, it is seriously more restricting than anything in the full-frame market - and the only real asset is resolution, which isn't a key requirement for me. That's actually all fine and no criticism at all, but even with the arrival of the new camera, it is still the case. I looked at the lenses very thoroughly (including the amazing new 80mm f/1.7 - a super-desirable lens!), at minimum focus distances, focal range, what have you ... and found that in spite of the truely impressive line-up and great quality, I simply couldn't come up with a sensible setup for my needs and wishes. Pity ...

So, with considerable regret, I'm coming to the conclusion that this just isn't the route I should take. Phew ... (says the wallet).

However, in a somewhat strange loop, all this made me reconsider if I should round out my Nikon Z system (that I'll keep around anyway) with the Z 7 II and the Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S, and maybe even the Z 70-200mm f/2.8 S. Not an inexpensive move either, but as far as results go, I would gain considerably more options at an estimated two-thirds of the cost (even if I went all-in and added the *gasp* Z 50mm f/1.2 S) - with the added bonus of still better portability and full interoperability with a system I already own and love. It's probably important to mention here that all three lenses I mention don't make enough sense for me when used on my current Z 6 (a camera I'll keep!) - to really exploit their advantages, they'd need the best body in the system as a base. So, it's the Z 7 II that'd be the core of that move, not the lenses on their own. All that said, I'm not quite ready for it yet.

Not something to rush into anyway, just musings after a couple of days of deeply investigating the GFX idea ... and setting it aside. Maybe things will change for me (once more). Somehow, I still wish they would ...

M.

Last edited:
Luckily I'm not at all warmed to the GFX series. The bodies are okay for the money but the sensor is small for medium format and the lenses are super clinical. Maybe if I adapted Leica S lenses? :D

Not to mention the pixels. What do I need 100 MP for? Twenty is plenty.

Speaking of twenty, our major camera retailer is giving one last push for Panasonic G9.

G9 body 999 €
G9 plus the battery grip for 10 € more.

Nice but these deals never bundle extra batteries or anything. A little something like that would go a long way.

The GFX100S to me hits a sweet spot in size, performance, and price in the GFX lineup. And really has my interest. But then, as I mentioned in another thread. The cost of the body and a lens or two would equal the cost of my next 4x4 build including the purchase of the vehicle. So that is what will get my wallet's attention. Probably.

The GFX100S to me hits a sweet spot in size, performance, and price in the GFX lineup. And really has my interest. But then, as I mentioned in another thread. The cost of the body and a lens or two would equal the cost of my next 4x4 build including the purchase of the vehicle. So that is what will get my wallet's attention. Probably.
What 4X4 platform are you building on?

It will be something Toyota this go around. Currently the short list is 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, or GX470/570. Availability and condition will probably narrow the list down some for me.
Been thinking the same of late.
Was going to get a third gen 4runner for the bullet proof 3.4 but LA prices are ridiculous.
4th gens are cheaper.

Second choice is/was a GX470. A lot of bang for the buck but a little more than I want to spend.

Almost got an FJ. Kinda glad I didn't. Want more space.

Have a white 08 Sequoia platinum in my sights. It's a friends'(he's a Toyota master tech). It has high mileage but the price is right and in my budget.
Having worked at a Toyota dealership since the late 80s should help if/when things fail. Knock on wood.
It's a little less crawler than I wanted but it's pretty darn lux and the wife is fine with that part.
Plan on blacking out all the chrome first. Already have the TRD grille here. The whites don't match but I'll get our dent guy to spray it.
Eventually doing a lift. It has air suspension so I may wait and see if something fails and bypass it. Not sure.

That's the initial plan anyway.

I wish that Fuji would put some kind of zone focus into their other cameras (besides the XF10). Because if the x-e4 had even that somewhat hamstrung snap focus mode, I would seriously consider it. The more I zone focus with film cameras and snap focus with the GR III, the more I want it in other cameras. Or, even if cameras let you set a custom mode that saves a certain manual focus distance, say 2.5 meters.

It would be really awesome to have that x-e4 27mm ii setup with the ability to set 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 5 meter zones and just snap away at f8.

For that matter, I think I would have really prized the GX9 P20mm 1.7 combo if it had that feature as well. I know the Oly 17mm 1.8 could give part of that functionality with the focus clutch, but I really, really like the built in functionality of the Ricoh with its ease of moving between distances and virtual focus scale on the LCD.

Nice images in that blog, but for me the GFX100S definitely fits into the "diminishing returns" category. I paid a bit over $600 for my X-T2; spending 10X that much I don't think would make sense at all for me. Others' mileage will vary.

That being said, if Fuji offered a long-term loan of a GFX100S and a nice prime, I wouldn't say "no". I'd happily spend my days carrying it around in a padded backpack, recording and sharing my cycling adventures in all kinds of weather. You listening Fuji?

Been thinking the same of late.
Was going to get a third gen 4runner for the bullet proof 3.4 but LA prices are ridiculous.
4th gens are cheaper.

Second choice is/was a GX470. A lot of bang for the buck but a little more than I want to spend.

Almost got an FJ. Kinda glad I didn't. Want more space.

Have a white 08 Sequoia platinum in my sights. It's a friends'(he's a Toyota master tech). It has high mileage but the price is right and in my budget.
Having worked at a Toyota dealership since the late 80s should help if/when things fail. Knock on wood.
It's a little less crawler than I wanted but it's pretty darn lux and the wife is fine with that part.
Plan on blacking out all the chrome first. Already have the TRD grille here. The whites don't match but I'll get our dent guy to spray it.
Eventually doing a lift. It has air suspension so I may wait and see if something fails and bypass it. Not sure.

That's the initial plan anyway.
My ultimate want is the v8 4runner. But those are the hardest to come by. Which then leads to the GX470. But then aftermarket parts are not as great as they are for the 4Runners. Agreed about the 3.4 being a great choice also. I'm sitting in limbo at the moment because a friend of a friend is thinking about selling her 2011 runner with high highway miles. I can get it for a steal if she decides to sell.

I used to ride with a guy who wheels a Sequoia. They are quite capable off road. Especially for how big they are. Not a great crawler, like you said. But an excellent trail ride/overland rig. Which is why I'm keeping it on my list. Plus the luxury and bullet proof motors. Sounds like you have a very nice ride coming your way.

LOL . . . my pockets don't go so deep. I'm starting another bike build.
Not as deep as you may think. Used higher mileage stuff can be had for $3-5k if you hunt around. Then do the build as you can. I've seen some mountain bikes builds that cost the same.

Back