GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

In those days there was a reason an excuse for having multiple cameras: mine were stocked with different film types, one with 160 ASA color-negative, one with 400 ASA color-negative and one with 100 ASA slide film (Fuji Sensia). Also, I bought my F3's second-hand in 1994 and later so they weren't the youngest and I've had to send one in for repair on occasion, although to be fair that happened only once if I remember correctly. I've owned a number of film cameras and for me the F3 was the pinnacle of the film camera: reliable, great finders, great system (owned all finders except the TV-finder) and great lenses. And last but not least, easy to keep the matte screen and finders free of dirt; I always hated to see grime in the viewfinder image. I even opened up some of the finders to remove dirt, easy enough for even a clumsy mechanic like me.

Enough for the rambling now, it's just fun to remember the old days.

Ah of course, the films. You are only feeding the gas. Maybe I'll look up the F3s ... just for a browse....

NIKKOR-P 105mm f/2.5 Pre-AI Sonnar

One has surfaced at Kameratori.fi at 189 €. The optics are clean. Your thoughts? :)

Addendum:

Am I also seeing not just this 105mm Sonnar-suspect but also two if not three 135/3.5 Sonnars for little money?

I could identify the 105/2.5 as a Sonnar because of the smaller exit pupil but these 135/3.5's all share the size of the exif pupil.

Last edited:
Perfect for A7C:

Sony-1-700x361.jpg

33.jpg
11.jpg

Well, sort of continuing the vein of 40mm talk, as soon as I started looking into OM lenses for my new OM1, this came up, and I'll never be able to afford one...

I've had one until native E-mount 40mm lenses became available. IMHO it's the nicest 40mm legacy lens you can get, and I tried a lot of them :). Yup, better than the Minolta/Leica 2/40.

1) I'm surprised at the love for the 40mm lens here. I've always gravitated towards the 50mm, struggled with the 35mm. The 40mm feels neither here nor there. One thing I've learned about why I am a steadfast 50mm user is because, for whatever reason, I find myself mostly at the correct distance from my subjects with the 50mm. Either that, or I'm at 16mm fisheye distance. The 40mm would probably throw me off my game.

2) I just looked up the Nikon Z and realised that I've been confusing it for the Nikon Df all this time.

I'm surprised at the love for the 40mm lens here.
For me a 40mm is the ideal standard lens. I use 35mm a lot, but it is a wide-angle for me: I often struggle with the foreground and the (to me) slightly exaggerated perspective. The 40mm's angle of view corresponds with how I look at a scene, while a 50mm often feels too tight. I use a 50mm when I want a slightly distanced look, while the 40mm is more engaging. Very personal of course and the 35, 40 and 50mm lenses are all used, though often not in the same shoot, depends on my mood really.

Back