GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

That’s the only thing that would hang in the back of my mind, does it need servicing. Alas this is what rangefinder owners have to do. Also, have you used it with a film camera?
Actually, no, I don't think I have - a least not for a long time; it came with my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder, so there's a good chance I used it for a couple of rolls on the camera back in the day ...

I'll drop the Summicron off some time next week (probably - we'll see how it goes). If anything, I want to assess a fully working lens ... Afterwards, I'll decide.

M.

For the change of pace, here's one somewhat irrational desire of recent:

Fuji X100, the original Bayer one, as the jacket-pocketable walkaround camera.

It's nice, it's pretty, we all know the lens delivers the goods.

But it is not that easy to justify that 200 € purchase when I already have a jacket-pocketable walkaround camera in the form of Panasonic GX80 + 20/1.7. Speedwise, DoF-wise the faster and longer lens goes even steven with the Fuji. Add in the IBIS and better close focusing behavior, lens interchangeability, not to mention (probably) much better autofocus, Fuji is toast in the technical department.

But there's no denying that the Fuji lens is a fine piece of optics. I steadily maintain that the X-Trans is detrimental to the image sharpness and that's why M4/3 sensors perform better but X100 the original doesn't suffer from X-Trans.

I can't really get rid of GX80 and the kit lenses because it's just too good value. The only way to get the X100 would be to acknowledge that it'll company GX80 and not supplant anything in my repertoire -- the cheap myself hates the idea already.

You know, that's what I thought as well - until I discovered the Voigtländers ... As I found out, the f/1.2 Nokton is capable of holding its own against a Summicron V (which is smaller, but also slower), and the f/1.5 Nokton delivers, too (not on the level of any Leica lens, but very nicely in terms of overall IQ). Between the two, I'm pretty well served - the f/1.5 Nokton is quite small and light, too.

The Summicron V, the lens I thought I'd never sell, is in fact the only M mount lens I'm having doubt about keeping - after re-assessing most of the M mount glass I own. It's still a good lens, but clearly not as good as the hype tries to make it. If you really look into it, the magic smoke dissipates pretty quickly. For the price, it's adequate at best - and if it wasn't so small and well made, it could even be considered a rip-off. But I'm glad most people don't want to hear that - it'll make it possible to sell it without a loss. That said, if I keep it, I'll have it overhauled by Leica - maybe it *can* be made to perform better; however, I won't hold my breath.

M.

The recent Voigtlander lenses are quite exceptional. Not that I've ever had an opportunity to use a Leica lens so I may not know what I'm talking about.

Considering Leica's reputation for their lenses, maybe you do need to get yours overhauled, I don't know. You know what, maybe if I ever have an opportunity to try my Summilux dream lens, I may ask myself "What's the hype..?".

The recent Voigtlander lenses are quite exceptional. Not that I've ever had an opportunity to use a Leica lens so I may not know what I'm talking about.

Considering Leica's reputation for their lenses, maybe you do need to get yours overhauled, I don't know. You know what, maybe if I ever have an opportunity to try my Summilux dream lens, I may ask myself "What's the hype..?".
I called Leica. If everything goes to plan (and it should - why not?), I'll take it there today. We'll see. I've been there before, and I'll take the long way, so it'll also be an opportunity for a nice little walk in a different environment.

You know, I actually think the Leica hype is deserved to some degree, maybe even to a major one - the lenses are mostly very, very good, the cameras are fantastic (and truely small - I find it interesting that there's hardly any talk about that side of the matter nowadays). But that doesn't mean they're beyond limitations or criticism - and you pay a handsome premium over equally good glass. And it doesn't end there: My most used lens as well as my best M mount lens are both made by - Zeiss; both are 35mm lenses, the Biogon C f/2.8 and the Distagon f/1.4. Fantastic glass, somewhat less convincing build quality (I'm talking about minor niggles here; mostly, the outer shells tend to show signs of use pretty quickly). The Distagon outguns the Summilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH. FLE - though it's also bigger and heavier. The Biogon C is superbly reliable when it comes to IQ, sharp, contrasty, punchy, with decent micro-contrast, too - a dream lens for not a lot of money at all. Yes, it's only f/2.8 - but that's it for "issues". I consciously chose it over the Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH. after trying both. It was, as they say, really a no-brainer. Call me a heretic (I am!) - I see what I see.

The truth of the matter is: In most circumstances, the difference in IQ is minor and more or less negligible. And even Leica can't beat the physics involved.

Okay, I'm off, delivering the Summicron, and afterwards shooting with my M 262 and Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 - and I'll also take the M8 with Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 along (and the G1 X III in my jacket pocket - sometimes, I need a zoom or AF). I'm going to have fun - which I don't have while scrutinisisng images for tiny little differences; I think I'll do even less of that in the future (unless I'm thinking for culling the herd). Thankfully, with the combos mentioned, that needs simply doesn't arise - I know where I'm at.

M.

For the change of pace, here's one somewhat irrational desire of recent:

Fuji X100, the original Bayer one, as the jacket-pocketable walkaround camera.

It's nice, it's pretty, we all know the lens delivers the goods.

But it is not that easy to justify that 200 € purchase when I already have a jacket-pocketable walkaround camera in the form of Panasonic GX80 + 20/1.7. Speedwise, DoF-wise the faster and longer lens goes even steven with the Fuji. Add in the IBIS and better close focusing behavior, lens interchangeability, not to mention (probably) much better autofocus, Fuji is toast in the technical department.

But there's no denying that the Fuji lens is a fine piece of optics. I steadily maintain that the X-Trans is detrimental to the image sharpness and that's why M4/3 sensors perform better but X100 the original doesn't suffer from X-Trans.

I can't really get rid of GX80 and the kit lenses because it's just too good value. The only way to get the X100 would be to acknowledge that it'll company GX80 and not supplant anything in my repertoire -- the cheap myself hates the idea already.
It’s subjective down to how you like the rendering (or not). The no.1 complaint about the original X100 was the focusing speed or lack of. This means one would have to make use of it by manually focusing - as a RF user I’d imagine you’d be familiar with and enjoy that. I think I would. The files coming out of that camera look very nice with the caveat that you’d have to be happy with what the camera churns out and get it right when shooting. $200 seems quite cheap.

It’s subjective down to how you like the rendering (or not). The no.1 complaint about the original X100 was the focusing speed or lack of. This means one would have to make use of it by manually focusing - as a RF user I’d imagine you’d be familiar with and enjoy that. I think I would. The files coming out of that camera look very nice with the caveat that you’d have to be happy with what the camera churns out and get it right when shooting. $200 seems quite cheap.
The X100 lens is great, but of course if I pit it against the Panasonic 20mm (as a winter/night time pocketable camera) then the fight will be bloody. Right now basing on my own memories of the files of X100T I think maybe Fuji has the edge over P20 (version I). P20 is great but the disclike halos around pointlike highlights start to get tiring after a while.

If X100 has the digital distance scale like the newer models then you combine back button focus with the distance scale and you got a really nice experience, I believe. In fact because you get the digital distance scale even in the OVF mode it can be a really cool thing to have.

X100S/T aren't bad cameras either and they're getting pretty close to X100 street prices. At least I know that X100T is a stupendous camera. But most everybody says that the original has a special look. With large pixels (12 MP on APSC) and traditional Bayer look, I don't doubt that for a second.

When I had the X100T my two major grieves were:
  1. autofocus with the OVF was a crap shoot because the camera isn't reliably (auto)focusing in the nearmost objects inside the focus selection rectangle. This made the OVF unusable for me.

But combine back button focus, digital distance scale and OVF and you get a visual confirmation in the bottom of your viewfinder about where the focus currently lies: near, far, infinity.
  2. The second thing was a lesser issue but related to the spherical aberration when focusing at close distances.

These days I am all about lens character, so maybe I'd be more at home with the effect.

Hell, I keep lusting after the €2000 Leica Summilux 35 pre-Asph that is way worse wide open so I am not anymore in the position to dislike the Fuji 23mm for the same effect, am I.

At night time I think the spherical aberration might be a beneficial addition to tame bright pointlike highlights.

3. This was not a major problem but okay, still a grief that I started to encounter as I progressed in my journey. Fuji JPEGs were nice but sometimes I wanted to do local adjustments to the files and the raw files I just couldn't make anywhere as nice as the JPEG files.

This wouldn't be a problem to me anymore because I'd shoot raw only and quite possibly would spend all my time in the OVF.

Edit:

I placed a WTB on a local camera gear forum about an X100 for 200 €. Let's see where it goes. 200 euros appears to be the real street value for the camera and it has maintained this value ever since 2017 or so, judging by the old F/S discussions. Can't lose more than a few euros by trying the camera and then reselling it if I don't like it.

Last edited:
LOL!

I find myself oddly drawn to these:

1617971537429.png

Dunno why, I'm perfectly happy with my Fuji trio....

I might've stayed happy with M4/3 if I'd gotten the Pen F, the enhanced JPEG control sounds up my alley and the EVF is at least better than the one in the GX9. If it hadn't been priced so high to begin with and not really come down to a comfortable level due to low demand/low sales.

I casually checked what Kameratori has in store now. The Leica M lens selection isn't what it used to be. I wonder if there's enough actually interesting stuff to break a 10k barrier. Only stuff that I'd seriously use for me.
To pass the time, let's have a look what the other retailer has in store for Nikon lenses. Can I find enough interesting lenses to break 5k euro barrier, let's find out!

Turns out, easily doable! But perhaps because there's just so much Nikon stuff in stock. This is also just the new stuff, autofocusing Nikkors and some select Zeiss lenses.

1. 20/1.8 G
  2. 24/1.4 G
  3. 24/2.8D
  4. 24/3.5 PCE
  5. 28-300 G
  6. 35/2 Milvus (Zeiss)
  7. 35/2 D
  8. 50/1.4 D
  9. 50/1.4 G
  10. 50/1.4 Milvus (Zeiss)
  11. 58/1.4 G
  12. 90/2.8 Macro (Tamron)
  13. 105/2 DC
  14. 135/2 Apo-Sonnar (Zeiss)
  15. 135/2 DC

In fact this is some 10 k and change.

But I don't feel any such lust towards Nikon gear like I feel about Leica lenses, so I wouldn't definitely be getting lenses like this.

Last edited:
Stick the 20 1.7 on it and shoot jpegs. Fuji gives you film simulations but the F gives you an amazing amount of control over the jpgs. Playing with the settings is a lot of fun.

I have no doubt, but it's really hard to justify with having both a x100s and an X-Pro2 in the stable, particularly at the current cost of the Pen-F on the resale market.

My photographic journey started with an OM-1, so I've always had a soft spot for Olympus. They always charted their own path. My hopes are that they successfully navigate through their current storm and we have them around for years to come.

To pass the time, let's have a look what the other retailer has in store for Nikon lenses. Can I find enough interesting lenses to break 5k euro barrier, let's find out!

Turns out, easily doable! But perhaps because there's just so much Nikon stuff in stock. This is also just the new stuff, autofocusing Nikkors and some select Zeiss lenses.

1. 20/1.8 G
  2. 24/1.4 G
  3. 24/2.8D
  4. 24/3.5 PCE
  5. 28-300 G
  6. 35/2 Milvus (Zeiss)
  7. 35/2 D
  8. 50/1.4 D
  9. 50/1.4 G
  11. 58/1.4 G
  13. 105/2 DC
  15. 135/2 DC

But I don't feel any such lust towards Nikon gear like I feel about Leica lenses, so I wouldn't definitely be getting lenses like this.
Oh, I don't know ... the APO-Sonnar is one heck of a lens; I'd be proud to own it and still curse myself for not pouncing on one when it came up locally (for a fair price, no less). Thankfully, the Tele-Elmar 135mm f/4 I acquired recently turns out to be a wonderful option at that focal length and was way, way cheaper - still, two stops of light gathering and this kind of performance for what is to be considered an "affordable" price ... hard to resist.

I have to remind myself that I have plenty of options for that FoV, too ...

M.

1. 20/1.8 G
  2. 24/1.4 G
  3. 24/2.8D
  4. 24/3.5 PCE
  5. 28-300 G
  6. 35/2 Milvus (Zeiss)
  7. 35/2 D
  8. 50/1.4 D
  9. 50/1.4 G
  11. 58/1.4 G
  13. 105/2 DC
  15. 135/2 DC

I’m sort of hoping everyone else continues not to feel the lust. I was a bit concerned that one or two old Nikkors/ F mount lenses are holding their value, even increasing in price.

My GRIII is going the qway of my prior GRII so I've been looking for a long term every-day-use-keep it on me all the time replacement. But not a Coolpix A or Fuji, I think the (apparently) soon to die GRIII is going to be my last small fixed compact and I'm fed up of the 3-4 year liftemes of those cameras, IMO a consequence of packing so much into something so small. In that regard I've now seen a Panasonic GX880/ 14mm side by side with the GRIII and in terms of the very similar sizes, I'm impressed. I'll be doing more research this weekend. I put this query on the M43 forum and (naturally) it was two guys from this forum that helped out ☑️

My GRIII is going the qway of my prior GRII so I've been looking for a long term every-day-use-keep it on me all the time replacement. But not a Coolpix A or Fuji, I think the (apparently) soon to die GRIII is going to be my last small fixed compact and I'm fed up of the 3-4 year liftemes of those cameras, IMO a consequence of packing so much into something so small. In that regard I've now seen a Panasonic GX880/ 14mm side by side with the GRIII and in terms of the very similar sizes, I'm impressed. I'll be doing more research this weekend. I put this query on the M43 forum and (naturally) it was two guys from this forum that helped out ☑️
Long time since I heard the GX800/880 mentioned. I was heavily in the Pen camp but was always interested in this series. The 14 is a great lens as would be the 20 or the 12-32 or the 35-100.

Long time since I heard the GX800/880 mentioned. I was heavily in the Pen camp but was always interested in this series. The 14 is a great lens as would be the 20 or the 12-32 or the 35-100.
Yes, it would be the 14 for me. This is a “size” thing for me so a Sony RX100 as an all in one package has also caught my eye. I know nothing of the quality control of these cameras though.

Last edited:
Back