GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I finally fulfilled a long time interest in getting a really tiny kit together. I already had the Olympus 14-42 EZ pancake zoom, which weighs about 90 GM's with the JJC auto-opening lens cap.

So I offered a ridiculous price on an as new Olympus E-PM2, and was accepted! 269 grams, and tiny. 2777 shots.

IMG_20210217_130552.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_20210217_130533.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Came with 2 OEM batteries. Bought a car charger and an after-market BLS-5, both of which are compatible with the OEM other bit.

This combo will fit in a small polo shirt pocket!!

The very nice leather wrist strap was a gift from years ago from a fellow photographer and good friend.

The cheap Thinktank Retro 10 that I bought on an impulse, I just can't really get a hang on how to int-deco it.

Maybe I try to sell it for what I paid for it and then try to live with the great bags that I have.

What I should look instead is the bag that I know will carry me this decade: Billingham.

Perhaps I'll buy Hadley One. Perhaps just another insert for my existing Hadley Pro? Perhaps a brand new Hadley Pro with its own insert?

In the meanwhile I should use the backpack more often. Bought and paid for, should be the economical idea.

Has anyone shot with a Lumix S5 yet? I kind of ignored the camera when it was released, but when I saw it brand new body-only for $1699 I became interested... more so when I saw that it has highlight-weighted metering. It's almost in my price range if I wanted to sell off some stuff. I'm not going to do that, anytime soon, but it is one of the first full frame cameras starting to approach a price range I could be interested in. Would be rather nice with a Sigma 45mm!

Has anyone shot with a Lumix S5 yet? I kind of ignored the camera when it was released, but when I saw it brand new body-only for $1699 I became interested... more so when I saw that it has highlight-weighted metering. It's almost in my price range if I wanted to sell off some stuff. I'm not going to do that, anytime soon, but it is one of the first full frame cameras starting to approach a price range I could be interested in. Would be rather nice with a Sigma 45mm!
I haven’t tried it, but it does look like a good value for what it’s offering.

BUT, for only $100 more, you can get a Sony A7c that also has highlight-weighted metering

It is much more compact, has significantly better AF, and opens you up to an expansive set of lenses from low budget to $$$.

Yes:
- The EVF is small, but it works.
- It doesn’t have a ton of custom buttons, but once setup, works very well. Especially with the user profiles on the mode dial.
- It’s a Sony :)

I don't think I'll ever come around to the A7c ergonomics. Truth be told, though, I don't like any of the FF mirrorless cameras out there, I think we need to see some more experimentation before one comes out with the right features/design for my taste.

I don't think I'll ever come around to the A7c ergonomics. Truth be told, though, I don't like any of the FF mirrorless cameras out there, I think we need to see some more experimentation before one comes out with the right features/design for my taste.
It’s actually a very easy to use camera, and relatively comfortable to handle. Yes, it’s no Canon R or DSLR, but it offers up compactness for the trade off.

If you could try one out in person, I’m sure you’d be pleasantly surprised.

I DESIRE: Leica 50mm Noctilux f/1.2 Asph. Available for preorders at 6950 €.

MY WALLET SUGGESTS: Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AF for ~140 €

The Nikkor must be a pretty nifty lens and the price wouldn't be too bad, but do I want to. Nikkors don't always appeal to me. :/

I am possibly selling the Panasonic 25/1.7 so perhaps there is justification for getting another "second system fifty".

Last edited:
You mean AF-D? If so, go for it. Sharp with far more character than the G series, even more pleasant than the AF-D F1.4 when it comes to rendering (yes, this is all subjective). I did a whole Single In challenge using that lens and it was honestly great. And so cheap used, it won't matter if you don't like it. In addition to that, every Nikon user should have an E Series 50mm pancake. As I've said before, I'm not sure there are any "bad" 50mm lenses.

You mean AF-D? If so, go for it. Sharp with far more character than the G series, even more pleasant than the AF-D F1.4 when it comes to rendering (yes, this is all subjective). I did a whole Single In challenge using that lens and it was honestly great. And so cheap used, it won't matter if you don't like it. In addition to that, every Nikon user should have an E Series 50mm pancake. As I've said before, I'm not sure there are any "bad" 50mm lenses.
+1! Just to add: I have the AF (non-D, same optics - if you don't use flash, you won't notice the difference) - for what it is, it's a pretty good lens, appealing (if a bit "glowy" - vintage!) wide open, pretty well controlled stopped down with good sharpness (f/4 and smaller), nice working lens in-between, great for the price mentioned. Mine needs a CLA (all four of my old screwdriver non-D lenses do), but that's it for complaints. btw. The old 50mm f/1.8 AF (same optics as the still "current" AF-D lens) is quite competent, too - I think they go for less than 50 € ...

M.

If Leica Q2 had a 35mm or 43mm lens I (well, my wallet) would be in a world of pain.

X100 series scratches that itch for me.

They're nice cameras to lug around and just use.

Kinda like back in the family vacation days of the '60s and '70s, no worries about which lens, no heavy camera and bag, just a light camera on a neck strap and go snap some vacation shots for the family slide show. But still capable of much more if you choose.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada

I DESIRE: Leica 50mm Noctilux f/1.2 Asph. Available for preorders at 6950 €.

The Nikkor must be a pretty nifty lens and the price wouldn't be too bad, but do I want to. Nikkors don't always appeal to me. :/

I am possibly selling the Panasonic 25/1.7 so perhaps there is justification for getting another "second system fifty".
My wallet is giggling, in case you were curious.

If Leica Q2 had a 35mm or 43mm lens I (well, my wallet) would be in a world of pain.

X100 series scratches that itch for me.

They're nice cameras to lug around and just use.

Kinda like back in the family vacation days of the '60s and '70s, no worries about which lens, no heavy camera and bag, just a light camera on a neck strap and go snap some vacation shots for the family slide show. But still capable of much more if you choose.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada
I’ve been using the X100f a ton for family outings. And even a lot around the house.

Whoa.

Rajala Camera just put Panasonic S5 on a special deal: 1399 €

I would be just devastated at this opportunity if I didn't know by know that these sorts of cameras don't make me happy ;)
Gee willikers. Now they double down on the deals.

Get the S5 + 12-60 kit for 1099 € when you trade in your G9 or GH5.

Unfortunately for them, I can resist the deal. Besides, a G9 is worth more than 300 € anyways.

I am mildly starting to warm up the old ideas and desires to get a FF MILC camera but S5, while absolutely one of the most attractive ones, is probably not the best fit. Panasonic S5 is very much the same camera as the G9 which I "eulogized" in the other post, blaming it being too good for me. Except with the addition that S5 is probably poorer at manual focusing because of its lower-rez EVF.

I just have to avoid James Popsys videos on Youtube for a while now. His work using G9 is a part of the reason I desired to try the camera, now he is working more and more with the S5.

Last edited:
Back