GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

A quick Sunday browsing of the F/S posts revealed quite interesting selections of full frame gear for peanuts...

First a Sony A99 for 400 €,
then another is selling A mount lenses like Tamron 90/2.8 macro and Sigma 70-200/2.8 APO for 290 €.

Those who can live with a second-hand Sony can be grabbing killer deals now that the A mount has been reported dead.

I realize that this GAS desire of mine is unlikely to come to fruition in the near future, but there are really only two cameras whose alluring siren song resonates in the nether part of what's left of my mind. One is the new Pentax K-3 MkIII which, from all accounts, sounds like the ultimate modern Pentax ever. And having been irrationally fond of Pentaxes - and enjoyed shooting with them - over several decades, I keep thinking I will need to get one some day. Plus, Pentax makes all those remarkable, and stupidly affordable, Limited and DA prime lenses. I know I don't need one - I am truly enjoying my current quiver - but I can't help thinking one would be truly nice.

The other camera on my ultra-short GAS list is the Fujifilm X-Pro3. Part of the blame for this goes to Bill Palmer's (aka Lightmancer here on Cameraderie) thoughtful series of posts about the camera when he was one of its earliest adopters. Part goes to my having played around some years ago with a friends X-Pro2 and being far more impressed than I ever was willing to seriously (publically) admit. It just felt really solid and nice 'in hand'. And a whole host of smart photographers, including TOP's Mike Johnston, have raved about various cool Fuji primes for what seems like decades.

A more rational approach might be to rent one or both of the cameras, for a week here or there, just to see. But I'm afraid if I ever did that, it would be the equivalent of crossing a metaphorical Rubicon.

But...maybe... some day.

I handled a like-new E-M1 mkII today in a shop (Glazier's in Seattle) and it's giving me a minor crisis. That is a seriously nice system camera, and it's making me miss the micro four thirds ecosystem a LOT. They also had an original E-M1 and E-M5. That might be a cheap way to ease back into the system. I just know if I got the E-M1 ii and a couple of the lenses I miss having, the poor KP is not going to get much use and probably would have to go to justify it. And I don't wanna part with it that much.

Just bought a first version Fuji X100. Was very cheap. Don’t even need it, but even if I don’t use it, it’ll serve a purpose just sitting on a mantelpiece, the thing looks magnificent. As someone who gets terrified of rendering something looking like it’s been made from a computer (I’m the guy who thinks an M10 is clinical😂), this fits the bill.

On the lookout for a locally available GRII as well....

Last edited:
Spotted a decent deal on a couple of lenses that would fill in the remaining spots in my Nikkor lineup, a Sigma fisheye 15mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor 35 AF-D. But I have spent so much this summer already, I don't know if I can do it.

The fisheye is something I want to witness through an optical viewfinder.

The Nikkor might be the best overall option in 35mm focal length for the system, even if it's just a lowly AF lens.

Spotted a decent deal on a couple of lenses that would fill in the remaining spots in my Nikkor lineup, a Sigma fisheye 15mm f/2.8 and the Nikkor 35 AF-D. But I have spent so much this summer already, I don't know if I can do it.

The fisheye is something I want to witness through an optical viewfinder.

The Nikkor might be the best overall option in 35mm focal length for the system, even if it's just a lowly AF lens.
The 35mm AF-D is basically AF with plastic housing and not as good technically as the G version but…its the same optically as the AI-S. Meaningless to many I suppose but if you like that sort of thing which I do, then you’ll love it.

The 35mm AF-D is basically AF with plastic housing and not as good technically as the G version but…its the same optically as the AI-S. Meaningless to many I suppose but if you like that sort of thing which I do, then you’ll love it.
I am not sure the D is optically the same as Ai-S.

Nikon Lenses lists the 35/2 AF(D) having a 6/5 lens configuration, unique among the 35mm lenses listed there. I've read favorable reviews about the image quality on this budget 35mm. Good contrast, some pop even, great sunstars at modest apertures.

I've read that 35/2 Ai and earlier may not be optically worth the premium feel and money.

35/2.8 might be good, I don't know. But here I'd like to have a faster lens.

35 G lenses may be best but they're G lenses: no thanks.

35/1.4 Ai/preAi is an idea but they can be costly.

This is why I think 35 D hits the spot with size, value, optics.

And especially since I have two great but pricey 35mm lenses for M, I am not sure I even would like to get a 35 for Nikon, in fears of getting redundant duplication.

Last edited:
Now that I have my Voigtlander 35/1.7 Ultron to go with my 50/1.5 Nokton and 90/4 Elmar I'm left wondering what other lenses do I want/"need" for my Leica kit?

I look at the 50/3.5 Heliar and get tempted. But I do have a very nice collapsible Industar-22 50/3.5 for that niche.
I look at the 75/2.5 Color Heliar and get tempted. There is a space and a frameline between 50 & 90 yet can I do anything with it that I can't do with the 90/4?
I look at a nice vintage Canon 28/3.5 and get very tempted. It's the widest I enjoy and I loved the one I used on an old film Leica CL. Yet...

No, my biggest temptation remains finding a decent 50/2 Summitar that is in good shape yet not too expensive. Wide open some of the wildest bokeh ever and can be as soft as a Summar yet when stopped down it is essentially a first generation Summicron and very well behaved at that. To my eye the best lens Leica ever made but then I never said I was normal :LOL: So I keep trolling ebay looking for one that fits my budget but isn't a scuffed out beater.

But in the meantime? That's a fun set already :drinks:

Here’s the EM1X with the 17 pancake from camerasize:
I thought it wasn’t working, but the camera image must be on top of the lens image and the vertical grip almost completely covers the lens.

I've been thinking about trading in my Leica M10 and the Sony A7RIII for a Leica SL2s. Sent it away for valuation ...... then couldn't part with it :doh: I just looked at the price of a new one and realised that I would probably never afford to buy a new one again ..... soooo currently trying to work on the Hubby so that I can keep the M10 and just trade the Sony for the SL2s instead ...... might take a while!

I've been thinking about trading in my Leica M10 and the Sony A7RIII for a Leica SL2s. Sent it away for valuation ...... then couldn't part with it :doh: I just looked at the price of a new one and realised that I would probably never afford to buy a new one again ..... soooo currently trying to work on the Hubby so that I can keep the M10 and just trade the Sony for the SL2s instead ...... might take a while!

Trading the Sony for an SL2 wouldn't merely be a worthy trade - it would also be one which might expand your photographic horizons in wonderful and unexpected ways - and hopefully the Hubby (whom we know deep down must appreciate having a spousal unit who is a gifted photographer) will see the myriad and long-term benefits in this approach. So... keep trying! He will come around!

Back