GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

What Matt was saying about the Z fc/ Zf...I'm sure if the latter was released it would really fly out of the stores. I wonder if, rather then looking to compete with Fuji, this is Nikon engaging it's old tricks and looking not to cannibalise it's existing Z FF product.

While surveying market prices for some Nikon bodies, found someone selling D500 + 70-200/2.8 VR2 for 1600 €. Not too shabby.

Edit: that sold very swiftly

Last edited:
Edit: that sold very swiftly
I of course just have to delve deeper.

Now what I spotted is a D4s with a shutter count of very low 9k and a brand new battery.
Combine with that a 105 f/2 DC and 35/2 AF,
for the sum total of 1850 €.

Not a super deal but competitive nonetheless.

If I wanted a camera for fast paced action I'd probably prefer D500 over D4s for the spread of the focus points?!

What Matt was saying about the Z fc/ Zf...I'm sure if the latter was released it would really fly out of the stores. I wonder if, rather then looking to compete with Fuji, this is Nikon engaging it's old tricks and looking not to cannibalise it's existing Z FF product.
I think that's exactly what happening and it's why I don't expect Nikon to ever build out a full line of APS-C Z-mount lenses. It's also why they won't beat Fuji in APS-C. Nikon has been doing a fantastic job with the Z-mount line. The FF cameras are highly desirable. But I think their commitment to APS-C only goes so far. A pity because the Z50 and Z fc are excellent.

Aggressive deals on Panasonic once again...

The S5 with 500 € off. And if you bundle a lens with it, 50% off of the lens.

S5 becomes a 1300 € camera body and the 85/1.8 loses 300+ euros off of price, if bundled. If you bundle the 70-300, it also shaves 50% off of the 1400€ lens.

Not terribly shabby when given that G9 showed such strengths and S5 lags only a bit behind.

But I am not interested in S5. It's a wonderful machine but it doesn't appeal.

What I started to research yesterday instead was the Pentax K1. A silver K1 will not be a "better Nikon Df" but I am trying to get an understanding what would it offer over Nikons. Pentax color for one thing, IBIS, M42 lens support. Things like this. Should be fun, until the moment I start to gas over it and a good deal comes along. They always do. :(

I am trying to get an understanding what would it offer over Nikons.
With those FA lenses which are of huge appeal, I went through that process too but ended up getting a Nikon. I thought it's not like you're going to get worse images going with a Nikon with its G, Ai-s, AF-D lenses as well as Voigtlander, and Zeiss (as a start) making lenses for their system which at the same time was a lot cheaper to set up. I would like to try the Pentax setup though even if it means renting for a weekend.

With those FA lenses which are of huge appeal, I went through that process too but ended up getting a Nikon. I thought it's not like you're going to get worse images going with a Nikon with its G, Ai-s, AF-D lenses as well as Voigtlander, and Zeiss (as a start) making lenses for their system which at the same time was a lot cheaper to set up. I would like to try the Pentax setup though even if it means renting for a weekend.

I am considering several challenges or potential advantages here.

For Nikon D810 (I'd consider D810 the closest competition to K1 wrt specs and features.)

• Nikon D810 is generally less money used than a K1, and more gear available.
  • Nikkor lens catalogue is huge.
  • My currently existing Nikon collection, albeit half of the lenses can't be mounted on a D810.

For Pentax K1

• The body is as compact as my Df.
  • IBIS.
  • Cool widgety features around the IBIS -- horizon correction would be a helpful thing for me!
  • Vintage lenses from M42 mount manufacturers even if it's a cumbersome process to operate them.
  • Cooler manual focus aides compared to Nikon's ERF.
  • I don't know if I will like Pentax color in the long term but at least it's not Nikon color.

I am considering several challenges or potential advantages here.

For Nikon D810 (I'd consider D810 the closest competition to K1 wrt specs and features.)

• Nikon D810 is generally less money used than a K1, and more gear available.
  • Nikkor lens catalogue is huge.
  • My currently existing Nikon collection, albeit half of the lenses can't be mounted on a D810.

For Pentax K1

• The body is as compact as my Df.
  • IBIS.
  • Cool widgety features around the IBIS -- horizon correction would be a helpful thing for me!
  • Vintage lenses from M42 mount manufacturers even if it's a cumbersome process to operate them.
  • Cooler manual focus aides compared to Nikon's ERF.
  • I don't know if I will like Pentax color in the long term but at least it's not Nikon color.

I'm guessing you already know this, Mike, but the big advantages of the Pentax K1 probably are (or include)---

The viewfinder. One of the best which Pentax has ever (ever) made - and a real pleasure to work with.

The lenses. There is and are an immense amount of wonderful Pentax lenses - both from Pentax and from others. Pentax makes wonderful - and wonderfully quirky but superb - small primes, in focal lengths others ignore. They are often quite affordable (especially compared to the offerings of other manufacturers).

The build. I know Nikon makes great DSLR's, but the K-1 is up there among the most solidly built - and ergpnomonically nice-feeling - camera bodies.

Though its user base is obviously much, much smaller than, say, that of Nikon users, the K-1 has quickly become a favorite of serious landscape (and nature) photographers. If those are at all areas which interest or fascinate you, I'm guessing the K-1 would be a camera that would not only please you immensely, immediately, but possibly grow on you as well, in the long term.

The final plus about a K-1 is that Pentax users, apart from being occasionally opinionated, often tend to be both extremely knowledgeable and willing to share an immense variety of interesting practical stuff as well as philosophy about their cameras. Pentax Forums has to be one of the friendlier - and more informative - photography forums around, period - and its staggeringly large resources can be surprisingly helpful at times.

As far as colour goes, I think there may be a relationship here (not sure what exactly) with some of the superb glass that Pentax has produced over the decades. When one looks at some of the images some K-1 photographers are producing - and the nature of the color palettes and ranges which they contain, it can be illuminating...and inspiring.

Obviously, both the D810 and the K1 are fine, fine cameras. So... it may be a difficult choice.
Bonne chance! ¡Buena suerte! and, simply, good luck.

Oogling bags for the moment, those I have are "heritage" bags from back in the analog days and not really suited for the M43 system. I have Lowepros, a MagDX which probably are getting on 30 years, it fits the large kit consisting of G9, with PL8-18, 12-60mm on the body and the 50-200 sans TC. but it is a squeese and I found the camera with empty battery after stuffing it in there in sleep mode. Also in the pot is a Jogger or something along those lines, a fanny-pack, it fits something along the lines of the GX9 with smaller primes and the 12-32/35-100 kit zoom kombo and a rather sizeable stealth reporter witch most likely fits about every thing I own in regards to digital camera gear.

Am oogling bags hard for something for the G9 kit, fancy the Backlight 26 rucksack, and it is big enough to sport everthing I need and then some. It is probably too big for just the G9 kit, but it leaves room for a days outing with grub, drink and reinforcement clothing, so there is that, and it would probably do a swell job protecting the gear whilst out bike bimbling. Other contenders are the Wotancraft pilot for much of the same reasons, it could probably be carried on the front rack of the bike in the rando bag, but not on me whilst riding.

I also look at some of the smaller stuff for the GX880 and GM1 kits, along with the aforementioned Zoom kit lenses and/or a fast(ish) prime or two, those smaller bags are the hard ones I find, walking the thin line between "nope, not fitting", "Blast, way too roomy" and "This is a very bulky bag for carrying such small kit on the belt".

Stuff I have looked at here are the Crumpler 3 million dollar bag, a model I dont think is made anymore, the Peak Design Field pouch and the Mindshift Mirrorless mover 5. The latter is in what I perceive to be the very boxy category. An outlier in this particular race are one of the dismountable pockets of the Pilot, it may possibly fit the tiny kit.

To throw into the mix, is that I much prefer some sort of subdued colour scheme, not black, nor fresh colours. The green Backlight is as far as I will go into those colour schemes.

Ach, woe is me...

Oogling bags for the moment, those I have are "heritage" bags from back in the analog days and not really suited for the M43 system. I have Lowepros, a MagDX which probably are getting on 30 years, it fits the large kit consisting of G9, with PL8-18, 12-60mm on the body and the 50-200 sans TC. but it is a squeese and I found the camera with empty battery after stuffing it in there in sleep mode. Also in the pot is a Jogger or something along those lines, a fanny-pack, it fits something along the lines of the GX9 with smaller primes and the 12-32/35-100 kit zoom kombo and a rather sizeable stealth reporter witch most likely fits about every thing I own in regards to digital camera gear.

Am oogling bags hard for something for the G9 kit, fancy the Backlight 26 rucksack, and it is big enough to sport everthing I need and then some. It is probably too big for just the G9 kit, but it leaves room for a days outing with grub, drink and reinforcement clothing, so there is that, and it would probably do a swell job protecting the gear whilst out bike bimbling. Other contenders are the Wotancraft pilot for much of the same reasons, it could probably be carried on the front rack of the bike in the rando bag, but not on me whilst riding.

I also look at some of the smaller stuff for the GX880 and GM1 kits, along with the aforementioned Zoom kit lenses and/or a fast(ish) prime or two, those smaller bags are the hard ones I find, walking the thin line between "nope, not fitting", "Blast, way too roomy" and "This is a very bulky bag for carrying such small kit on the belt".

Stuff I have looked at here are the Crumpler 3 million dollar bag, a model I dont think is made anymore, the Peak Design Field pouch and the Mindshift Mirrorless mover 5. The latter is in what I perceive to be the very boxy category. An outlier in this particular race are one of the dismountable pockets of the Pilot, it may possibly fit the tiny kit.

To throw into the mix, is that I much prefer some sort of subdued colour scheme, not black, nor fresh colours. The green Backlight is as far as I will go into those colour schemes.

Ach, woe is me...

Although they tend to be a little on the pricey side, and are acquiring a little bit of a hipster reputation, some of the photo bags made by WANDRD are both cool and functional. I have the smaller version of the PRVKE and its versatility and comfort have turned it into one of my more frequently used bags. (In addition to the basic semi-charcoal dark color, I think they also come in muted greens and blues, though perhaps those colours might be harder to find.)

Leica SL2-S is selling for 4590 € brand new, with the Leica M adapter thrown in (normal price 425 €). How about that. Leica doesn't ever do deals but now they do?!

Previously happened:
After reading plenty material about the Pentax K1, its size and weight and its Pentaxian quirks, I started to think about other heavyweights that I previously dismissed due to their size and weight. The Panasonic S1(R) was first to come up. Similar weight and size and IBIS but Panasonic DNA and software design is simply glorious compared to most others, including Pentax's, largely unknown territory to me. Market values are also very similar, given how little Pentax cameras are available.

Now that Panasonic and L-mount is in play, it is only fair to include the best and brightest, the Leica SL and SL2-S.

But...
The truth behind considerations regarding Pentax and the heavier cameras all stem from possible future plans to revert back to a vehicular lifestyle and developing my landscape photography. It may or may not ever happen. But if it does, gear weight matters a little less since I'd be hauling it in a backpack in my car. I've been watching too much Thomas Heaton. Besides, it's an expensive project if I move and photography would definitely take another step backwards -- my three existing systems should definitely be enough, no?

The truth behind considerations regarding Pentax and the heavier cameras all stem from possible future plans to revert back to a vehicular lifestyle and developing my landscape photography. It may or may not ever happen. But if it does, gear weight matters a little less since I'd be hauling it in a backpack in my car. I've been watching too much Thomas Heaton. Besides, it's an expensive project if I move and photography would definitely take another step backwards -- my three existing systems should definitely be enough, no?

This sounds a bit like my musings towards the Fujifilm Medium Format, an option I would most likely hold as "better" than going FF, by no other notion that if I must go big, go as big as I can within "realistic" realms... (y)

This sounds a bit like my musings towards the Fujifilm Medium Format, an option I would most likely hold as "better" than going FF, by no other notion that if I must go big, go as big as I can within "realistic" realms... (y)
I've been eyeing the GFX50R in the past but since Thomas Heaton got himself one, I can't possibly get one and appear to be copying him...

I've been eyeing the GFX50R in the past but since Thomas Heaton got himself one, I can't possibly get one and appear to be copying him...
Not to worry about that, just get the Fujifilm GFX 100S. :drinks: And you will surely enjoy twice the exotic places, doubling the van size and have two times the keeper rates he is enjoying as well as double the quality of him!

That is surely why people are so obsessed over Mega pixels! :whistle:

I am dangerously curious about this lens:
I normally don’t like extreme zooms but there are times when one lens would be handy. Of course, the Fuji 70-300 (and the 27 in my pocket) is probably a better lens. Still, Tamron makes nice lenses so I am, as I began, dangerously curious.

I am dangerously curious about this lens:
I normally don’t like extreme zooms but there are times when one lens would be handy. Of course, the Fuji 70-300 (and the 27 in my pocket) is probably a better lens. Still, Tamron makes nice lenses so I am, as I began, dangerously curious.
While we all know megazoom lenses are compromises, I think everybody should own one of them. There are just too many times when we set out for the day not knowing what kind of photographic situation we are going to be faced with. The Tamron 18-300 seems as good a place to start as any - offering a 27-450mm FF FOV on an APS-C camera.

The only decision is whether you want to use it on a Fuji body (X-T4 or X-S10?) or on a Sony body. I personally think Sony's A-series APS-C bodies wouldn't balance well with this lens. But using one on an A7-series camera in crop mode could be the way to go.

Does anyone remember the Tamron 16-300 superzoom for APS-C DSLRs from 2014? It was available in Canon, Nikon and Sony Alpha mount.

Looks like it was replaced by an 18-400.

Soo, I thought I was somewhat free from GAS at the moment, but it seems like I have just bought a couple of super-zooms, a type of camera I have never had before...

Both, surprise, surprise, Panasonics, both in the same series. One TZ10, that one was mostly bought for the 12Mp CCD sensor and a very much later TZ70 which mostly was bought due to the price point. The TZ70 I will pick up tomorrow, and the TZ10 will find its way through mail from Blighty, some time before 12th of August. Price for both combined about $150...

s-l1600.jpg

The TZ10 bundle, sellers photo.

Its capable of producing stuff like this:
Liverpool_NS_Mersey_River.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

By Sara Star - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:Liverpool, NS Mersey River.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

And the actual TX70, no box, but looks rather mint:
tz70.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Sellers photo, it comes with a 64Mb sandisc Ultra U1 Class 10, the receipt and the charge cable. The description was that she bought it new in 2019, took a couple of pics and then continued to use the phone after putting the camera in a drawer. Going by the pictures, I think it sounds about right.

Am somewhat more stoked on the TZ10, for what I see of that, it makes very nice files, but am keen to see how both fares.

Both incidentally are 12 Mp cameras, but there is a 5 year gap between them TZ10 was released in 2010 and the TZ70 in 2015, where one is CCD and one is C-MOS sensors.

Attachments

• Liverpool,_NS_Mersey_River.jpg
    Liverpool,_NS_Mersey_River.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 18
Back