GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

And you haven't even mentioned the ridiculously short battery life. A pity. So close and yet so far.
Agree - though I have to say I rarely had issues because I usually shoot few frames during an outing; however, one of the main drains on the battery (apart from, alas, I.B.I.S.) is the fact that you have to crank up screen brightness in order to reliably (well, more or less) use the screen ... And in spite of that setting, it's still one of the very few cameras that can cause me to miss or bodge an obvious shot because I'm unable to judge exposure and framing.

I'd've sold the camera long a go if it didn't deliver such wonderful results - the lens is really exceptional, and the size means the camera is there when I need it ... Truth be told, very often, even handling the camera is a joy because it's so well thought out for a camera this small.

I sort of have to agree with something else: If the camera was sealed (no more debris on the sensor!) and the screen recessed and matte (like on the original), we'd have an even more capable, sorrow-free pocket powerhouse ... I'd even give up touch capability for that, though barely ...

But I'll stop this (seemingly) GR bashing now - because I fully understand everyone's desire for the GR III or (even more so) the GR IIIx; they're unique and enormously capable tools, just not ones I personally feel comfortable using. As always, YMMV in that respect.

M.

I was reading about the new Fuji GFX 50S II and it seems like a really nice system. It's still out of my reach even though it's price is, essentially, making it the Canon Rebel of digital MF. But even though it's like twice as expensive, it really reminded me of what I really want in a digital MF:

1000-Hasselblad-X1D-In-Hand-3_1466611956.jpg
hasselblad_xcd_65mm_f2_8_review_8c9cd6ffa9b02044a7a3327bc82c5649.jpg

The Hasselblad X1D II is, to me, just a 51 megapixel delicious combination of the best of digital, mirrorless and old time larger format cameras - still got that leaf shutter in the lens!!!! :drinks:

Frankly, the odds are I'll never be able to afford it but to me this would be a near perfect addition to the Leica digital that I also never expected to be able to afford. So who knows?

only-positive-waves-man.jpg

That's my latest desire that will go unfullfilled (y)

I was reading about the new Fuji GFX 50S II and it seems like a really nice system. It's still out of my reach even though it's price is, essentially, making it the Canon Rebel of digital MF. But even though it's like twice as expensive, it really reminded me of what I really want in a digital MF:

View attachment 270457View attachment 270458

The Hasselblad X1D II is, to me, just a 51 megapixel delicious combination of the best of digital, mirrorless and old time larger format cameras - still got that leaf shutter in the lens!!!! :drinks:

Frankly, the odds are I'll never be able to afford it but to me this would be a near perfect addition to the Leica digital that I also never expected to be able to afford. So who knows?

View attachment 270459

That's my latest desire that will go unfullfilled (y)
I understand. If I had a lot more money, I would buy this for no good reason.

In digital medium format I'd still go for Fuji GFX 50 R over anything else. It should be the cheapest to buy still even if the lowest launch goes for the 50SII.

Or alternatively the Phase One P65 for full 645 format.

The biggest drawback for me is the lack of a tilting screen. With a fixed screen your shooting positions are very limited. With film there was no screen at all but there was always a VF.

A good-condition Leica 28mm Elmarit has popped up for sale for a nice price.
Should I possibly fulfill that missing hole with a real Leica lens?
If it's the last pre-ASPH (or the ASPH, for the matter), it's just a question of what a "nice price" is ;)

That said, the Voigtländer Ultrons (old and new Mk.II version) are very good performers and a steal for their price, even new.

M.

If it's the last pre-ASPH (or the ASPH, for the matter), it's just a question of what a "nice price" is ;)

That said, the Voigtländer Ultrons (old and new Mk.II version) are very good performers and a steal for their price, even new.

M.
I'm just worried about the Voigtländer 28mm's purported focus shift problems.

I'm just worried about the Voigtländer 28mm's purported focus shift problems.
That's as may be. With the "original" Ultron VM (the first f/2 version), it honestly never ever prevented me from getting the images I wanted - and this is the lens I use on my Leica M8 80%+ of the time. In fact, had you not told me, I wouldn't have known it had any focus shift, and I use it at all apertures from f/2 to f/8.

But of course, YMMV - I'm not saying all those experts aren't right. What do I know, I'm just some guy who likes taking pictures ...

Here's a take I can share:

For the Mk.II version, there's an FM thread ... very informative as usual:

The new lens' performance looks so good I might even get one in the end - but between my pre-ASPH. Elmarit-M and the old Ultron VM, I'm so happy I can't seem to bother enough at the moment. I think I'd pick up a GR IIIx first - and that reminds me: My very best 28mm is still afixed to the GR III ...

M.

Last edited:
Back