GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I am still on the lookout for a 50mm equiv. fov "package" as wide as possible and as small as possible.
Needs an ok EVF. Open to manual focus. Cheap is also a plus. Don't care about weather resistance.

Something like this:
  • Panasonic GX80 + PanaLeica 25mm f1.4
  • Fuji XE-2 + 7Artisan 35mm f1.2 mk2
  • Fuji T-20 + 7Artisan 35mm f1.2 mk2 (is that smaller?)
  • Olympus E-PL8 + VF-4 + Mitakon speedmaster 25mm f0.95 (this is my current iteration of this setup)
Any better ideas? The wider and smaller, the better!

03374a8c8be8ba0b51e9e418.png

PanaLeica 25/1.4 is a wonderful lens but for the same form factor you can get much faster lenses. Pair the f/1.2 (in the middle) with the Leica M11 and you should get a pretty solid package that can go anywhere.

But your requirements form a multivariable, very open question. :)

I am still on the lookout for a 50mm equiv. fov "package" as wide as possible and as small as possible.
Needs an ok EVF. Open to manual focus. Cheap is also a plus. Don't care about weather resistance.

Something like this:
  • Olympus E-PL8 + VF-4 + Mitakon speedmaster 25mm f0.95 (this is my current iteration of this setup)
The most wonderful Fuji 35mm F1.4 (the first version) and an XT1 on which that lens renders excellently. The EVF on that camera is great and it has perfect balance which largely negates the need for IBIS, for anyone who thinks they can't operate a camera without that.

Last edited:
View attachment 312201

PanaLeica 25/1.4 is a wonderful lens but for the same form factor you can get much faster lenses. Pair the f/1.2 (in the middle) with the Leica M11 and you should get a pretty solid package that can go anywhere.

But your requirements form a multivariable, very open question. :)
Wow, IMHO there's no point in using such a µ4/3 setup if you can get full-frame with the same size and a lens that offers the option of much more subject separation (mainly due to sensor size).

Lumix GM5 plus the Olympus 25mm?

That would probably be as small as it is possible to come. LVF is ok(ish).

Comparison
1653325038003.png

Very interesting, the Mitakon speedmaster 25mm f0.95 is almost the same size as that Olympus 25mm f1.8
I have to add, I don't have Leica money to spend on this ;)

edit (this would be ~f2 on the left and f1.2 on the right, for <10% the price, and lighter and smaller)

Last edited:

Something like this:
Okay, I own both versions of the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2, and it really depends on your expectations if these lenses are for you or not. The first version is very capricious, but the rendering is interesting, and it's sharp wide open in the center (like, really sharp). The edges and corners are weak and never really sharpen up, bokeh's wild. Version II is much tamer - but soft and glowy wide open even in the center, sharper at f/2 and really quite impressive from f/2.8 onwards, with soft bokeh and a pleasingly smooth rendering, but pretty low contrast.

I also own the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 II and had the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 R - both have their weaknesses wide open, but both render very charmingly. The Fujifilm has a very classic feel to it, the 25mm f/1.4 II (the second version - can't speak for the first one, I never held it) offers a much more modern experience. Both lenses are very usable wide open (with some glow, the Panasonic more so) and sharpen up very well up to f/5.6. Both very predictable, good performers.

I read "cheap" and then "Leica" in this discussion, so I don't know if "cheap for a M mount lens" counts, but I'm a huge fan of the Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.5 Aspherical (first version for M mount) which can be had for comparatively little money and has great rendering and very good core sharpness while not being a lot bigger than a Summicron-M 50mm f/2 but half a stop faster. If size is a factor, but price isn't, the new second version is even smaller and optically better, but hard to get on the used market as of now. If you shoot the Voigtländers on a Sony A7 (the II is the best bargain body) or splurge on a A7C, you'll get a very interesting combo for about a tenth of the price of a M11 body-only ...

M.

If size is a factor, but price isn't, the new second version is even smaller and optically better, but hard to get on the used market as of now. If you shoot the Voigtländers on a Sony A7 (the II is the best bargain body) or splurge on a A7C, you'll get a very interesting combo for about a tenth of the price of a M11 body-only ...

M.
I have not has a look at this direction, so cheap second hand small FF body with a Voigtländer. Thanks, Will investigate!

View attachment 312225

Very interesting, the Mitakon speedmaster 25mm f0.95 is almost the same size as that Olympus 25mm f1.8
I have to add, I don't have Leica money to spend on this ;)

edit (this would be ~f2 on the left and f1.2 on the right, for <10% the price, and lighter and smaller)
You have to check the weight with those lenses though, as I'm sure the Mikaton will be a hefty hunk of metal and glass which won't feel terrifically well-balanced on a small body, while the Oly is a "premium plastic" that is really quite light and totally gets out of the way. So while they're similar in overall size, they won't come across that way. For what it's worth, the rendering of the Oly 25/1.8 is particularly good. It just churns out lovely files.

I have not has a look at this direction, so cheap second hand small FF body with a Voigtländer. Thanks, Will investigate!
I just had another idea - the new Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 on either a Fujifilm or a Nikon Z fc body looks very interesting (even though it's more of a "classic" lens - with somewhat weak corner performance) ... Greys of Westminster have a review online. Twice the price of the Voigtländer/Sony A7(II) combo, though - but smaller and lighter.

I'm looking forward to getting the 23mm f/1.2 for my Z fc ... But first, there'll be something else to explore. Watch this space (or rather, the sister thread ... should be in tomorrow).

M.

Okay, I own both versions of the 7Artisans 35mm f/1.2, and it really depends on your expectations if these lenses are for you or not. The first version is very capricious, but the rendering is interesting, and it's sharp wide open in the center (like, really sharp). The edges and corners are weak and never really sharpen up, bokeh's wild. Version II is much tamer - but soft and glowy wide open even in the center, sharper at f/2 and really quite impressive from f/2.8 onwards, with soft bokeh and a pleasingly smooth rendering, but pretty low contrast.

M.
Would you say the first version makes it easier for MF peaking to work?
I've had -some- issues with other cheapo Chinese lenses that are too "glowy" when wide open and I can't tell where it's focused perfectly..

Edit: The Mitakon is not one of them btw

Would you say the first version makes it easier for MF peaking to work?
I've had -some- issues with other cheapo Chinese lenses that are too "glowy" when wide open and I can't tell where it's focused perfectly..

Edit: The Mitakon is not one of them btw
I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question - I've stopped using peaking and use magnification whereever that's available. However, from my experience with the two versions, I'd say you'll see things pop with the first version a lot better than with the second - I actually doubt it'd work well with the second because edges aren't sharp enough wide open. Magnification works for both - but it's easier to nail focus with the first version, too.

FWIW, both are quirky lenses - the advantages of the second version are better controlled aberrations stopped down. But the first version ... It's got something special (that's why I kept it even as I sold the Sony A6000 I usually used it on - I also own a dump E-to-Z mount adapter for it). I shot a whole lot with it!

Here are two images that show off what it can do wide open:

DSC01343.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC01341.jpg

And here's version II (on the Z50):

Z50_0866.jpg

At these sizes, the 35mm f/1.2 II looks very convincing, too ...

M.

One of the reasons of my exploring the Pentax APS-C gear was the 10-17mm Fisheye zoom. Ideally a zoom lens that would start as an UWA fisheye and get towards rectilinear wide angle sounds like a wonderful idea.

I wish there was a similar execution for M4/3, that would start as a fisheye around 6-8 mm and end up around 14 mm, as rectilinear as possible.

And one for Nikon F also please. Fisheye zooms are a nice idea, not many of them around.

For my brain, a fisheye ultrawide offers more opportunities than a rectilinear ultrawide.

Good Morning,

I'm looking at the Canon R7; not sure if I want to be part of the first-wave of buyers though. It would be replacing one of my original 7D's that has over 300K on the original shutter at this time (B&G Soccer, B&G VB, Gymnastics, etc...). Nice thing having IBIS, electronic and mechanical HS shutter, really fast AF and being able to use my current EF lenses.

Regards,

Edd

Well, this almost throws a monkey wrench in my acquisition of the Pentax K-1 II... When the OM-1 came out, I said the next EM5 model would likely be a pretty great upgrade. But I'm definitely not buying two new cameras this year... I can wait, though. If it's a good body then it will be a nice eventual upgrade for the EM5II, in a year or two. It'll be interesting to see how OM Digital addresses the midrange, compact model after taking in their top-shelf effort with the OM-1. Interesting that they said in the article that it won't be a direct replacement of the EM5 III, but I suspect that just means they won't immediately phase out the current model, and will set different price points to differentiate.

Back