GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Well, this almost throws a monkey wrench in my acquisition of the Pentax K-1 II... When the OM-1 came out, I said the next EM5 model would likely be a pretty great upgrade. But I'm definitely not buying two new cameras this year... I can wait, though. If it's a good body then it will be a nice eventual upgrade for the EM5II, in a year or two. It'll be interesting to see how OM Digital addresses the midrange, compact model after taking in their top-shelf effort with the OM-1. Interesting that they said in the article that it won't be a direct replacement of the EM5 III, but I suspect that just means they won't immediately phase out the current model, and will set different price points to differentiate.
If its a small form factor + PDAF + ibis + WR, maybe range finder style. Would be an instant buy for me.
Like a better Pen F or something.
But it needs to be smaller than an XT-3 to be worth it.

If its a small form factor + PDAF + ibis + WR, maybe range finder style. Would be an instant buy for me.
Like a better Pen F or something.
But it needs to be smaller than an XT-3 to be worth it.
I would think they'd call it an EP7 or Pen-F type naming convention if it weren't SLR style. But no one has heard what OM Digital plans for these lines, so who knows what naming convention they'll go with.

I've owned several rangefinder style as well as SLR style bodies - including the GX85 for a number of years, and I have to say I prefer a small SLR style. Not so much the new "mirrorless" style, which is a quasi-SLR shape but with a more squared "hump" and typically the eyepiece juts out behind the camera more, think the G100 and the FF Panasonics. Not a fan of the handling of those.

Good Morning,

I'm looking at the Canon R7; not sure if I want to be part of the first-wave of buyers though. It would be replacing one of my original 7D's that has over 300K on the original shutter at this time (B&G Soccer, B&G VB, Gymnastics, etc...). Nice thing having IBIS, electronic and mechanical HS shutter, really fast AF and being able to use my current EF lenses.

Regards,

Edd

I got my first taste of action today with my R6. 28/28 shot sequence of my new puppy with eye-AF animal tracking. I honestly had thought it fired 3-4 times. And this was with the 85 1.2ii which is one of the slowest lenses I've ever owned.

I think you're in for a treat.

Not to sure if it is a proper desire, but have been oogling the Oly 17 mm f:2.8, the Oly 14-42EZ and the Oly 12-50mm M43 lately. The two first mentioned would round off the pancake collection, and the 12-50 is such an odd duck with it specs, so I fancy it somewhat.

Well, this almost throws a monkey wrench in my acquisition of the Pentax K-1 II... When the OM-1 came out, I said the next EM5 model would likely be a pretty great upgrade. But I'm definitely not buying two new cameras this year... I can wait, though. If it's a good body then it will be a nice eventual upgrade for the EM5II, in a year or two. It'll be interesting to see how OM Digital addresses the midrange, compact model after taking in their top-shelf effort with the OM-1. Interesting that they said in the article that it won't be a direct replacement of the EM5 III, but I suspect that just means they won't immediately phase out the current model, and will set different price points to differentiate.
Very tempting. If it's close enough to the OM-1, especially WR, then this might be a real possibility. I've been impressed with what I've read about the OM-1. Not perfect (what is?), but a genuine uptick in mu43 performance. I still have mu43 lenses that I would gladly put back into service. I wonder how much?

Not to sure if it is a proper desire, but have been oogling the Oly 17 mm f:2.8
Just wondering what your reasons for that are; because I’ve always thought that lens renders much nicer and, how can I put it, less “digital” than the newer F1.8 lens, putting aside how it’s probably slower blah blah.

Just wondering what your reasons for that are; because I’ve always thought that lens renders much nicer and, how can I put it, less “digital” than the newer F1.8 lens, putting aside how it’s probably slower blah blah.
I'll add my 2 cents and say you're spot on. Photos from this lens feel like they have texture, somehow. I enjoyed it a lot.

The reason is as simple as "pancake", with some qualifications.

I had and enjoyed the f:1.8, sold that after I bought the PL15 which I found to be "better", and somewhat miss the 17mm angle of view. I find the lumix 14mm pancake to be a bit on the wide side for an "only lens" when out and about, and the 15 to be a bit too protruding to fit in a pocket. Not that any of them are going anywhere, but I think the 17 may be a nice one for a basic out and about set-up.

It is a very "first world" sort of problem. :unsure: 😂

The reason is as simple as "pancake", with some qualifications.

I had and enjoyed the f:1.8, sold that after I bought the PL15 which I found to be "better", and somewhat miss the 17mm angle of view. I find the lumix 14mm pancake to be a bit on the wide side for an "only lens" when out and about, and the 15 to be a bit too protruding to fit in a pocket. Not that any of them are going anywhere, but I think the 17 may be a nice one for a basic out and about set-up.

It is a very "first world" sort of problem. :unsure: 😂
I actually think the 35mm focal length (i.e. 17mm-ish in M4/3) is the greatest all-around compromise for a single lens. It's not my favorite for its actual characteristics, but it can behave like a standard or a wide angle, which is compelling. My Pentax HD 35mm f2 is being delivered today! Hahah.

Oddly due to it not being 'perfect' I find it one of my favorite m43 lenses and one that keeps me having the system along with the Panny 12-32.

Now I have got an A7 in the house a 35mm is desired, not bothered about it being fast even 2.8 is fine, not looking for sharpness more something with character.
I have been having a mass clearout of stuff that was not used and am trying to resist ureges to just try this or oh look that is a bargain.

I find myself missing the G9 again. It’s the downside to the iOS Photos widget showcasing my old content. I check the EXIF and it starts the longing. It’s that darn EVF and all those handy buttons and dials.
I am also reminiscing that camera. In good sunlight it was so reliable it got very boring. In the night time it underperformed badly. Hate the FAS. But I still miss it for some reason.

In a pie-in-the-sky world, I would be following up my Pentax K1 II with the HD versions of the original "three amigos" - the FA Limited primes at 31mm, 43mm and 77mm. They are not cheap but not all unreasonable (the HD version of the 43mm costs $500 new right now, on a sale that seems to keep sailing along, so to speak). I think it's only fair to match the quality of the sensor and build of the K1 with lenses that have the same attention to detail, as well as some "magic" qualities to their rendering which I have to admit I can see some inklings of in the images I'm browsing. In other words, it's not all in the eyes of the beholder. The 31mm, especially, has amazing bokeh for a wide angle, and the smoothness of the transition zones from in-focus to out-of-focus are really impressive. I think most modern lenses are built for a kind of clinical sharpness from edge-to-edge which seems to sacrifice the smoothness of transition zones. Likewise the 77mm has really pleasant transition zones and is a really useful focal length (I used a nifty fifty f1.8 on an APS-C DSLR as almost my exclusive lens for several years once upon a time). The 43mm is probably the least "special" of the three but is the smallest, almost a pancake, and is very sharp and versatile. Its bokeh is not quite as good but it's billed to be a photojournalism lens, amongst other things, so clarity and directness of rendering are what they seemed to be going for with it.

I am very tempted to snatch up the 43mm first, but is that at all practical? Nearly everything I have is around the 40mm range, it's a favorite of mine. The 40mm GR is always ready, with as excellent of a sensor and optics as anyone could ask for. The 77mm would actually put a nice short tele into my current lens stable. The 31mm would be probably the best buy I could make, but is typically the most expensive. And SMC versus HD is probably not that big of a deal. Although Ricoh just announced a strange sort of seasonal firmware update which is basically a promotional for their HD Limited lenses only. If the price difference were not too great, it might be fun to try out these custom tailored JPEG modes as they are released.

In a pie-in-the-sky world, I would be following up my Pentax K1 II with the HD versions of the original "three amigos" - the FA Limited primes at 31mm, 43mm and 77mm. They are not cheap but not all unreasonable (the HD version of the 43mm costs $500 new right now, on a sale that seems to keep sailing along, so to speak). I think it's only fair to match the quality of the sensor and build of the K1 with lenses that have the same attention to detail, as well as some "magic" qualities to their rendering which I have to admit I can see some inklings of in the images I'm browsing. In other words, it's not all in the eyes of the beholder. The 31mm, especially, has amazing bokeh for a wide angle, and the smoothness of the transition zones from in-focus to out-of-focus are really impressive. I think most modern lenses are built for a kind of clinical sharpness from edge-to-edge which seems to sacrifice the smoothness of transition zones. Likewise the 77mm has really pleasant transition zones and is a really useful focal length (I used a nifty fifty f1.8 on an APS-C DSLR as almost my exclusive lens for several years once upon a time). The 43mm is probably the least "special" of the three but is the smallest, almost a pancake, and is very sharp and versatile. Its bokeh is not quite as good but it's billed to be a photojournalism lens, amongst other things, so clarity and directness of rendering are what they seemed to be going for with it.

I am very tempted to snatch up the 43mm first, but is that at all practical? Nearly everything I have is around the 40mm range, it's a favorite of mine. The 40mm GR is always ready, with as excellent of a sensor and optics as anyone could ask for. The 77mm would actually put a nice short tele into my current lens stable. The 31mm would be probably the best buy I could make, but is typically the most expensive. And SMC versus HD is probably not that big of a deal. Although Ricoh just announced a strange sort of seasonal firmware update which is basically a promotional for their HD Limited lenses only. If the price difference were not too great, it might be fun to try out these custom tailored JPEG modes as they are released.

I can totally relate to your dilemma, Andrew.

To echo what you mentioned, among hard-core Pentaxians, the differences between the SMC and the HD versions appears to be somewhere between minimal and imperceptible, for most observers, with a minority actually favoring the earlier SMC versions; which means, in practical terms, you might be able to find a 'deal' on a good used copy of any of these great lenses - which might mitigate the costs.

It all depends, I think, on what kind of field-of-view angles you may be leaning towards, in both the short term and the long term. Given the K-1's sterling reputation among landscape photographers, one could make an argument in favor of the wider-angle of the 31mm; an additional argument could be made that, with its interesting field-of-view - wider than the more standard 35mm, but tighter than the more wide-angled 28mm perspective - that it offers a unique view.

But, of course, the FA 43mm is such a great lens... you could probably just put one on your K-1 and leave it one for quite awhile. And among the many great Pentax lenses, it has its own special reputation.

All I can say is, good luck. Whichever you may luck into finding first, I predict you are going to use it in interesting ways.

Back