GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

I wish I had a camera store nearby to try these things. I’m happy that Hasselblad is trying to make a more “mainstream” camera. :ROFLMAO: Those lenses must be so expensive since they need to put a leaf shutter in each of them.
... and fantastic optics, at least(!) on par with the best.

If I wasn't so happy with the size-quality ratio of my Nikon bodies and lenses as well as their handling (and speed, the competition notwithstanding), nothing would stop me from reaching for one of those two 102MP bodies, with the Hasselblad being the preferred choice. But it's early days - I want to at least see more of that camera in action. I don't doubt the IQ of the camera or the glass, I want to know at what pace it can be used. And because of the lens *choice*, I'd have to convince myself that forgoing some of Fuji's offers would be the right thing to do - but given the quality of those primes (I've seen what can be done with them), I don't think that would be too hard.

But just to put things into perspective: When I shrug off my size reservations and put the 50mm f/1.2 S on the Z7 II, I end up with a big, but *fast* setup that doesn't require me to slow down in any way (on the contrary, everything's responsive and fluid - if I miss a shot, *I* miss the shot, not my gear). And the images are top-notch, nothing there I'm missing. Except maybe some kind of magic at times - but rarely. And if I put the 50mm f/1.8 S on the same body, I end up with a small, relentlessly brilliant combo that shares all the same characteristics with only a smidgen of optical prowess. And even the 50mm f/1.2 S is *cheaper* (though not by a lot) than something as admittedly enticing as the new 55mm f/2.5 ... though yes, with it on the camera, Hasselblad would win the size game, just once.

While I can convince myself that the Nikon and Leica systems are different enough to be worth running alongside each other, I'd have to give one up to make room for the Hasselblad (or Fuji). And it wouldn't be Nikon. And I don't want it to be Leica. So. Stuck. But, as I've said before (albeit referring to something different), in a rather nice place, thankfully.

Full circle: I really hope someone picks up an X2D soon and graces this board with doubtlessly stunning images and rave reviews. I'll continue working on my immunisation against Hassy GAS ;)

M.

Nothing cures gas but:

Some X2D reviews:

... and fantastic optics, at least(!) on par with the best.

If I wasn't so happy with the size-quality ratio of my Nikon bodies and lenses as well as their handling (and speed, the competition notwithstanding), nothing would stop me from reaching for one of those two 102MP bodies, with the Hasselblad being the preferred choice. But it's early days - I want to at least see more of that camera in action. I don't doubt the IQ of the camera or the glass, I want to know at what pace it can be used. And because of the lens *choice*, I'd have to convince myself that forgoing some of Fuji's offers would be the right thing to do - but given the quality of those primes (I've seen what can be done with them), I don't think that would be too hard.

But just to put things into perspective: When I shrug off my size reservations and put the 50mm f/1.2 S on the Z7 II, I end up with a big, but *fast* setup that doesn't require me to slow down in any way (on the contrary, everything's responsive and fluid - if I miss a shot, *I* miss the shot, not my gear). And the images are top-notch, nothing there I'm missing. Except maybe some kind of magic at times - but rarely. And if I put the 50mm f/1.8 S on the same body, I end up with a small, relentlessly brilliant combo that shares all the same characteristics with only a smidgen of optical prowess. And even the 50mm f/1.2 S is *cheaper* (though not by a lot) than something as admittedly enticing as the new 55mm f/2.5 ... though yes, with it on the camera, Hasselblad would win the size game, just once.

While I can convince myself that the Nikon and Leica systems are different enough to be worth running alongside each other, I'd have to give one up to make room for the Hasselblad (or Fuji). And it wouldn't be Nikon. And I don't want it to be Leica. So. Stuck. But, as I've said before (albeit referring to something different), in a rather nice place, thankfully.

Full circle: I really hope someone picks up an X2D soon and graces this board with doubtlessly stunning images and rave reviews. I'll continue working on my immunisation against Hassy GAS ;)

M.

I would take the Hasselblad or Fuji 102 MPx models everyday over the Leica M11. Without the slightest hesitation. Better in every single respect.
The big difference is user experience. Both provide a substantially different type. For some, the slow rangefinder approach is sublime. As intriguing as the Hasselblad is, the working experience would seem very similar to the Nikon, Canon, and even Fuji.

Tough situation, what I want is not here yet, but this Nikon Z DX UWA zoom looks amazing, and the small prime! Well, I can wait... I hope :)

Untitled.png

The big difference is user experience. Both provide a substantially different type. For some, the slow rangefinder approach is sublime. As intriguing as the Hasselblad is, the working experience would seem very similar to the Nikon, Canon, and even Fuji.
I am not sure that working like a Nikon or Canon is a bad thing. My A7M III is a breeze to use. This is bad? Granted that the menu system was devised by trolls in Lower Slobovia but with a month or so of full-time effort they can be de-riddled. OTOH, the X2D, from what I have seen, has a sublimely more comprehensible menu system. Sony, take note. I went to RF because that was how I could get to the M8.2 and M9. I wanted to try Leica and was interested in those marvelous CCD sensors on those two cameras. And I still am.

Back down here on earth the biggest X2D practical problem I see is prints. Where do you get 4 x 3 printed and where do you get the frames? I hard copy little but would want to hard copy some of what would be out of an X2D. This is important to know as currently the word is built for printing 2 x 3. There is a solution out there. And I will find it. I hope. ;o)

I am not sure that working like a Nikon or Canon is a bad thing. My A7M III is a breeze to use. This is bad? Granted that the menu system was devised by trolls in Lower Slobovia but with a month or so of full-time effort they can be de-riddled. OTOH, the X2D, from what I have seen, has a sublimely more comprehensible menu system. Sony, take note. I went to RF because that was how I could get to the M8.2 and M9. I wanted to try Leica and was interested in those marvelous CCD sensors on those two cameras. And I still am.

Back down here on earth the biggest X2D practical problem I see is prints. Where do you get 4 x 3 printed and where do you get the frames? I hard copy little but would want to hard copy some of what would be out of an X2D. This is important to know as currently the word is built for printing 2 x 3. There is a solution out there. And I will find it. I hope. ;o)
Didn’t mean to imply working with any of those systems is bad. I actually really find the Nikon menu system on the sublime side too. Olympus may have some of those trolls involved, but once sorted out is easy. I was really referring more to RF focusing than any of the menus.
In my experience most menu system including Leica have some quirkiness.

Stupid is as stupid are...

Spent a bit of time looking at the Olympus line-up, after getting the Oly OMd-10 MkII last week, now not just pondering the MkIV, but the MKIIIs of the 1 and 5 as well. Both of the latter is on campaigns for the moment, with cash-backs added to mix for selected lenses, but of course none of the programs combining the houses and lenses I am interested in.

We`ll see how this turns out*. :doh:

*Note to self, don't look at reviews of stuff you are curious about, as long as its only available new.

Spent a bit of time looking at the Olympus line-up, after getting the Oly OMd-10 MkII last week, now not just pondering the MkIV, but the MKIIIs of the 1 and 5 as well. Both of the latter is on campaigns for the moment, with cash-backs added to mix for selected lenses, but of course none of the programs combining the houses and lenses I am interested in.

*Note to self, don't look at reviews of stuff you are curious about, as long as its only available new.
That sounds like some very serious GAS there, Jens ...

I have a bunch of Oly bodies, but that bunch consists of an E-P5, an E-M1, and my treasured collection of all the 12 MP Pens. I do think of getting a more modern body, with the E-M5 iii being the current choice. I'm waiting to see the OM-5, mainly because it has the OM-1 sensor. Price will be a critical issue. I can't see myself dropping $2K on it, for example.

I have a bunch of Oly bodies, but that bunch consists of an E-P5, an E-M1, and my treasured collection of all the 12 MP Pens. I do think of getting a more modern body, with the E-M5 iii being the current choice. I'm waiting to see the OM-5, mainly because it has the OM-1 sensor. Price will be a critical issue. I can't see myself dropping $2K on it, for example.
...but there might be a price drop (new and/or used) on the E-M5 iii when the OM-5 comes out.

Back