GAS GAS: Please Share your Latest Desires Big and Small

Now that I'm living in a town with a good lab that sells film and will do a dunk/scan for a reasonable price, I've been thinking evil thoughts about this:

3610895334_e4f8df6466.jpg

I was fascinated by it since it came out and used ones aren't too expensive ($800 ~ $1200) and the zoom, while limited is just enough for fun.

The real pity is that no one makes 220 format roll film anymore :(

Details here:
Fujifilm GA645Zi

<snip>

Besides, I shim all my own lenses including accounting for focus shift when using various filters on the M Monochrom.

There you go, bragging again. ;o)

Rangefinders have their advantages. I just do not like the "squint to match the images" routine. The Sony A works just fine for me, focuses better than I can and faster. And can rip off exposures as fast as lightening. Well, almost as fast as lightening. Some folks prefer rangefinders, I do not.

Credit given where due. I will second what Skylaney says about the Jupiter-8. I have a '57 KMZ that is just a great lens with super color and resolution. Luck of the draw.

I have another at a local photo shop for CLA now. They screwed it up the first time. That took three months. Now we are approaching another three months. Three months to lube the aperture ring. This is the kind of service we got for our cow every spring. But I digress.

Brian, the word is getting out. Wait until they find out about FORTRAN and PL-1. ;o)

I find myself unreasonably (of course!), but increasingly fascinated by the Leica M10-R. Why?
  • I think in the world of 35mm digital cameras, the Leica M line holds a unique place: minimalist, no frills, small(!) and high performance where it counts. I can't see myself not sticking with it. So it's worth thinking about what to own and what not.
  • The M10-R fits into my existing line-up: I own an M10 I have no intentions on selling because it's kind of a goldilocks camera to me*. All accessories match, including of course batteries (very important for the M10 line of cameras). In essence, I could just "carry on" using a M10-R as if I had owned it forever - because, in most ways, I have.
  • However, the M10-R offers quite a few improvements over the original M10: a quieter shutter, better IQ *all around* (in strong light as well as in low light) with higher, but still manageable resolution, at least in good light. I don't care (much) about the touchscreen, but even that is welcome because it makes LiveView a lot more usable ("tab in" for magnification) and image review quicker and more efficient. There's even a modicum of added sturdiness (the "P" level, so to speak).
  • It's the last M adhering to the classical design and handling. Yes, I know that the bottom plate can be seen as a nuisance, but it's also makes for consistent handling across all bodies, film included (though I obviously can't change film without looking - but cards and batteries are no problem).
  • I essentially already own all the lenses I may ever want to shoot with it, too. *And* a "backup" body ...
  • The M11 may have taken things a couple of steps further and modernise them - but not in ways I like: Constant LiveView, with always open shutter curtain and power-on lag? Multi-segment metering, with shutter lag for the sake of it? Fiddling with resolutions, so essentially *needing* the menu or a button pressed to be fully usable? Not for me, and that's putting it mildly. So, the M10-R may be the "last" Leica for me; in fact, the M10 itself may become that if I choose to forgo the higher resolution. I can't see myself moving to an M11 without giving up my personal approach to Leica altogether (which would include selling my other digital bodies ...). Not likely.
  • Negatives? Plenty: expensive, basically "old" tech, much harder to hand-hold successfully (or rather, to use to its fullest potential), needs patience and shot discipline like no other body I've ever shot ... brilliant! A challenge! :)
Oh, and of course, there's also quite a compelling local offer ... alas. We'll see how things play out.

M.

*Honestly, I often find myself preferring the even more reductionist approach of the M 262 or even M8, but the M10 is outperforming the M 262 by a tangible margin while offering more under the hood (I *have* used LiveView in a pinch) *and* being slimmer and even slicker to use; the M 262 also clearly marks the bottom line of features for me (I like having the rear screen when in doubt) - so, certainly no M-D, M10-D or similar on the horizon for me; this also makes me question my interest in the (new) Pixii.

Last edited:
I understand the desire for the M10's and M11's but do not share it. I have Leicas I bought for their sensors not their focus system. I have used SLR's and descendants since around '80 and prefer to photo what I see and do not have to deal with matching images into overlap. And while the Leicas are small, size is not all that important if their is a reasonable trade-off for something I value.

You all know I am impressed by the new Hasselblad. The Facebook groups have fine images of quality and color that come from a finely tuned 100MP sensor. Other than if I were backpacking the size and weight matter not. And I do find the Übermenschlichkeit attitude of Wetzlar and some Leica owners taxing. It's just a tool, it's not The Second Coming.

So now it is picking a tool from the toolbox. I have enough nostalgia with the M's I already have. I would opt for a camera which will focus and calculate exposure and white balance in a fraction of a second. I'll get more photos and better photos. They may still be crap but they will be in focus and there is something to be said for that. ;o)

@boojum A beautifully built tool, but you are right, IMNSHO.

I've owned two Leica outfits - M2 with 3 ordinary Leitz lenses in the 1960s; and an M3 with 3 Summicron lenses in the late 1990s.

As I said, beautifully made, but my Olympus OM1 (etc) just took better photos ...

I could go the Hasselblad 102 MPx if I were 10-15 years younger.
However, I suspect that my existing kit will probably see me out.

@boojum A beautifully built tool, but you are right, IMNSHO.

I've owned two Leica outfits - M2 with 3 ordinary Leitz lenses in the 1960s; and an M3 with 3 Summicron lenses in the late 1990s.

As I said, beautifully made, but my Olympus OM1 (etc) just took better photos ...

I could go the Hasselblad 102 MPx if I were 10-15 years younger.
However, I suspect that my existing kit will probably see me out.
Age is not a good excuse. I am 82. This is a better year to be thinking about that camera than next year.

@boojum I've read what you've been posting about the X2D; let's just say that our decisions follow different principles, so it might be wise to agree to differ in some respects. I find the X2D very intriguing to a point, and I thought briefly about adding it together with the new trinity of lenses to my arsenal (over time - it's a bit steep to just go out and acquire). But ... no. Not for me.

When it comes to gear, I'm a user first and foremost, not a collector, and furthermore, "perfection" is defintely not on the agenda, just my personal joy and satisfaction. And realistically, that's something I have achieved in most respects already. Back when I bought into the M mount (with the Zeiss Ikon RF - film!), fascination did play a big part - but with digital Ms, user experience is first and foremost, obviously including results. If it wasn't satisfying for me to shoot them, I wouldn't bother, period. I certainly won't bend my knees to whatever megalomania is proferred, and I don't buy into Leica's superiority approach at all. But on that count, the same goes for Hasselblad!

A little context may help at this point: For my "modern camera" needs, the Nikon Z 7 II really does it all, more than I usually need, in fact. For day-to-day shooting, I can cover all bases relevant to me with the Z system, including assignments and travel. My current "favourite" EDC setup, the one I pick if I don't want or have time to think about it, is the Z 6 with 40mm f/2 - not top of the line by any stretch, but super-enjoyable, reliable and providing very nice results, much better than could be expected. Other such setups include the Z fc with either the Z 28mm or the Voigtländer 23mm f/1.2 (a real contender for "most rewarding setup", see below) and the Z 50 with the best super-zoom lens I've ever shot, the Z 18-140mm DX. If the weather gets really marginal and I want something small and portable, I usually reach for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 III with 12-45mm f/4 instead of a Z system combo; there's some nostalgia involved here because :mu43: was instrumental in setting me up with digital photography, but the E-M5 III is a very nice performer in its own right, not quite on par with the Z 50 in some respects (including IQ), but not far behind in most, with fantastic I.B.I.S. and weather sealing to boot, so it's really a no-worries camera. To sum up: I have great gear for fast paced shooting that offers at least very nice, up to and including superb results. I don't need anything "superior".

What the Leica bodies offer, though, is a completely different shooting experience, one I often prefer and sorely miss if I don't have the time and opportunity to savour it: slow, deliberate, creatively challenging - with the glass to match. The M10 provides the most compelling images of all my Leica bodies, even though I often reach for even slower and more bare-bones (M 262, M8) because that's what it's all about in a way. Now, the M10 is quite a nice preformer when used within its limits, and at times, these are actually part of the fun. However, the M10, good as it is, clearly can't keep up with the best of the 24MP sensor cameras in terms of file quality, especially when it comes to retaining highlight detail as well as low light performance (visual noise). And that's kind of a bummer, especially since some of my favourite lenses beg to be shot against bright light and in high contrast conditions. The M10-R, on the other hand, is actually really compelling in terms of highlight recovery (almost on par with something as spectacular as the old, but superb D750, a camera that still has its younger stablemates beat in that respect - not the Z 7 II, though) as well as offering very, very good high ISO performance, almost on par with the Z 6 that in turn is my best low light performer. So, in a way, I'd get a uniquely capable sensor in a familiar body - with all the joy and challenges involved that I associate with using a Leica body, only more so because of the resolution. I really don't need the latter - but it would actually add to the fun, not take away from it.

Finally, and I find that a very interesting observation personally, the Z fc comes close to bridging the gap between modern and "vintage" (for want of a better word): With the electronically coupled Voigtländer 23mm, the experience almost matches rangefinder style shooting (paradoxically so - but the focus indicator is actually nearly as quick and precise to use as a rangefinder, with added reliablility in some cases) while all the rest is done by a thoroughly modern body in classic guise. This is why I may hold off and see if Nikon actually try their hand at a Z f (FX) of some description in the near future ... In my case, even if they just took the Z fc and put in an unstabilised version of the Z 6's sensor, I'd have to own one. But of course, the real clincher would be adding in I.B.I.S. and the Z 6's EVF (plus a few minor refinements). And if they use the Sony A7 IV's sensor - oh, my ... If only I could judge the likelihood of that happening to a higher degree, I could stop dithering.

M.

Last edited:
Since the Panasonic PL 9mm f1.7 came out & I bought it at release, there's not really anything really interests me. I've already got way more lenses than I need/use. So no real sense in acquiring any more. Been through the 36x24, & APS-C phase, a tiny bit less noise and a bit shallower DOF doesn't make any huge/substantial differences to my shots, so no real interest there either. My G9 is still entirely current & relevant when comparing it with similar, so no desires there either. I sometimes think I wouldn't mind something slightly smaller body wise than the G9 -perhaps a properly updated GX8 might capture my attention. But I think I'd miss the better feature set of the G9. GH6 doesn't interest me in the slightest. So I'm pretty happy exactly where I'm currently sitting, & have been for quite some time

BLI-312 Battery for Leica M8 M8.2 M9 14464 1600mAh

Charged properly in the original Leica M9 charger including 80% and 100%, work in the M9 and M Monochrom.
Under $20.

BLI-312 Battery for Leica M8 M8.2 M9 14464 1600mAh

Charged properly in the original Leica M9 charger including 80% and 100%, work in the M9 and M Monochrom.
Under $20.
Forgot to report back! The one I acquired locally seems to work fine, 1600mAh, charges up and keeps charge, no issues.

I still appreciate this kind of information - it's still early days.

M.

I am even more impressed by the over-$8,000 price tag! :laugh1:
Puts a different edge on "need" as well as "want", doesn't it ;)

Anyhow, my personal GAS attack is already subsiding ... not because I don't stand by what I've said in my last couple of posts, but because the little concert shoot I did tonight on the Z 7 II got me thinking. It worked really well even in very low light, and it also handled just fine with the Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S. True, it doesn't sport the fastest AF in super-dim conditions, but I was able to get some audience shots on a barely lit medieval bridge (very nice location - and very special occasion, a "final revival" gig!). Crucially, however, I wouldn't have wanted to try this on an unstabilised platform ... which raises the question what the M10-R's role would be in my kit. It's certainly not a camera for casual use, but also not one I'd want to carry in less-than-ideal conditions ... I now fear that I'd use it rarely. And that'd be a real shame.

M.

@Lumixdude

Dont fall into the trap that I fell into, actually seriously looking at the Olympus offerings...
Not really interested in anything there at all. It would only be a side step rather than any actual improvement in pretty much everything except perhaps AFC, of which I find more than sufficient on my G9 anyway. I feel quite fortunate that I'm in such a content and happy place, and have been for quite some time. If Panasonic had not released the PL 9, I may have looked at the S5 with the new 18mm, and set of 35, 50 and 85mm primes, and perhaps the Sigma 1-400, but no matter how you look at it, it's still bigger, bulkier, heavier and more expensive than my current kit.

@boojum I've read what you've been posting about the X2D; let's just say that our decisions follow different principles, so it might be wise to agree to differ in some respects. I find the X2D very intriguing to a point, and I thought briefly about adding it together with the new trinity of lenses to my arsenal (over time - it's a bit steep to just go out and acquire). But ... no. Not for me.

When it comes to gear, I'm a user first and foremost, not a collector, and furthermore, "perfection" is defintely not on the agenda, just my personal joy and satisfaction. And realistically, that's something I have achieved in most respects already. Back when I bought into the M mount (with the Zeiss Ikon RF - film!), fascination did play a big part - but with digital Ms, user experience is first and foremost, obviously including results. If it wasn't satisfying for me to shoot them, I wouldn't bother, period. I certainly won't bend my knees to whatever megalomania is proferred, and I don't buy into Leica's superiority approach at all. But on that count, the same goes for Hasselblad!

A little context may help at this point: For my "modern camera" needs, the Nikon Z 7 II really does it all, more than I usually need, in fact. For day-to-day shooting, I can cover all bases relevant to me with the Z system, including assignments and travel. My current "favourite" EDC setup, the one I pick if I don't want or have time to think about it, is the Z 6 with 40mm f/2 - not top of the line by any stretch, but super-enjoyable, reliable and providing very nice results, much better than could be expected. Other such setups include the Z fc with either the Z 28mm or the Voigtländer 23mm f/1.2 (a real contender for "most rewarding setup", see below) and the Z 50 with the best super-zoom lens I've ever shot, the Z 18-140mm DX. If the weather gets really marginal and I want something small and portable, I usually reach for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 III with 12-45mm f/4 instead of a Z system combo; there's some nostalgia involved here because :mu43: was instrumental in setting me up with digital photography, but the E-M5 III is a very nice performer in its own right, not quite on par with the Z 50 in some respects (including IQ), but not far behind in most, with fantastic I.B.I.S. and weather sealing to boot, so it's really a no-worries camera. To sum up: I have great gear for fast paced shooting that offers at least very nice, up to and including superb results. I don't need anything "superior".

What the Leica bodies offer, though, is a completely different shooting experience, one I often prefer and sorely miss if I don't have the time and opportunity to savour it: slow, deliberate, creatively challenging - with the glass to match. The M10 provides the most compelling images of all my Leica bodies, even though I often reach for even slower and more bare-bones (M 262, M8) because that's what it's all about in a way. Now, the M10 is quite a nice preformer when used within its limits, and at times, these are actually part of the fun. However, the M10, good as it is, clearly can't keep up with the best of the 24MP sensor cameras in terms of file quality, especially when it comes to retaining highlight detail as well as low light performance (visual noise). And that's kind of a bummer, especially since some of my favourite lenses beg to be shot against bright light and in high contrast conditions. The M10-R, on the other hand, is actually really compelling in terms of highlight recovery (almost on par with something as spectacular as the old, but superb D750, a camera that still has its younger stablemates beat in that respect - not the Z 7 II, though) as well as offering very, very good high ISO performance, almost on par with the Z 6 that in turn is my best low light performer. So, in a way, I'd get a uniquely capable sensor in a familiar body - with all the joy and challenges involved that I associate with using a Leica body, only more so because of the resolution. I really don't need the latter - but it would actually add to the fun, not take away from it.

Finally, and I find that a very interesting observation personally, the Z fc comes close to bridging the gap between modern and "vintage" (for want of a better word): With the electronically coupled Voigtländer 23mm, the experience almost matches rangefinder style shooting (paradoxically so - but the focus indicator is actually nearly as quick and precise to use as a rangefinder, with added reliablility in some cases) while all the rest is done by a thoroughly modern body in classic guise. This is why I may hold off and see if Nikon actually try their hand at a Z f (FX) of some description in the near future ... In my case, even if they just took the Z fc and put in an unstabilised version of the Z 6's sensor, I'd have to own one. But of course, the real clincher would be adding in I.B.I.S. and the Z 6's EVF (plus a few minor refinements). And if they use the Sony A7 IV's sensor - oh, my ... If only I could judge the likelihood of that happening to a higher degree, I could stop dithering.

M.
I agree with what you say. And I can be quite happy with the M8,2 and M9. In recently reviewing some M8.2 shots on Flickr I was impressed, again, with the color rendition and the marvelous B&W images. It is a sweet little camera. The M9 is just a good image creator for me. And I have one with the factory sensor and board upgrade so I am safe until it collapses, or I do. I have a small compliment of lenses for the cameras, none Leica but a sweet J8 and my darling Cooke Amotal. There are some others. And Pixii, the gamin, makes wonderful images. The color is not as saturated as the M9. I think of it as more pastel and less acrylic because I do not know the technical terms. I still have problems with it and David Barth will, someday, hook up on TeamViewer and do his magic. So Scuderia Boojum is full.

But the X2D seems to offer a lot, and a lot of bang for the buck. In full auto it is a glamorous point-and-shoot which allows the user full contemplative control or, also, spray and pray. And it, of course, offers full manual where the effects can be seen before the shot if I am not mistaken. So vis a vis the M11 it can be all an M11 can be and more. There is that awful burden of new lenses. I would assume the 55mm is a good compromise starting point. The images can be blown up giving an effective short tele. The M-mounts can be adapted for the X2D and in a 24 x 36 format in camera selection I believe vignetting would all but disappear if there were any. I understand that <50mm will cause vignetting while 50mm and up it can diminish with focal length increase. All this makes it quite attractive as an alternative to a Leica.

I have never used a Nikon. I did have a Canon in the mid-60s with a loose lens mount that could not seem to stay repaired. So I only had one. Pentax film cameras have been good to me starting with the stone ax that photographs,, the K1000.

But back to the X2D, the images I have found and linked here are impressive. I wish there were a head to head comparison of that and the M11. There are some suspicions being voiced of sensor IR leakage in the M11. This has not been substantiated. Anyway, to me it seems a lot is had for the price of an M11. It seems the Sony 100MP (OK, 102) sensor is currently king. And Gothenburg has it tuned quite nicely just as Pixii has tuned their Sony quite nicely. As for the Leica Übermenschlichkeit, well, it is in Leica circles. Being German on my mother's side, if Berliners are truly Germans, I feel at ease using the term. There are so few Hasselblad owners on the boards that I have not encountered any of their possible overweaning airs of superiority, yet. The airs of superiority make for a sorry dance for it is not the chisel that makes the sculptor.

Thanks for the lengthy and thoughtful response. Sometimes being poor is a blessing for me as I do not have the opportunity to embarrass myself often in camera shops. ;o) But the desire is unremitting. LOL

Last edited:
I was shooting again recently with my Fuji XPro-2. Really enjoying that camera. This caused me to think about my Fuji lineup in general. I have and enjoy the XT4, but realized that I have not really been using it a lot and what I would want in place of it.

Conclusion: A Fuji XPro-4

IF

The AF of the XT4 or XH2 or pretty close
It has IBIS

I'd sell the XPro-2 and XT4 for that

I think my final realization was that I only got the XT4 to have a stabilized platform for those sweet "Fujicrons"...those delightfully small f/2 and f/2.8 primes. SO, bottom line, desirous of the hopefully upgraded XPro-4 in 2023 that will have IBIS and an improved AF system.

On a non-Fuji specific note and a desire for the whole of the photography community - please here this...

I speak for me on this one and not the entire photographer's community...but would absolutely love to have from either an OEM or a third party

MAKE SOME REASONABLY PRICES TELEPHOTO PRIMES IN F/2.8 OR F/4...SPECIFICALLY FOR ME IN 135MM OR 200MM.

I cannot tell you how much I miss having those and use the manual focus versions of the Nikon AI lenses frequently. I don't use them as much as I would like because of the limitation of manual focusing. Nothing would round out the affordable Fuji primes lineup like a small f/3.5 or f/4 135mm or 150mm. I love the Fuji 90mm f/2...but it comes up short a lot for me at times. Nikon z-mount is the same...they go up to 85mm and then basically stop. Maybe they are not huge sellers since the Canon FD or Nikon AI-s days...but I feel like we are missing out. They don't need to be perfect, but they just need to be affordable, accessible and have some really awesome character to them.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.

Back