GAS GAS: Please share your latest near acquisitions - a.k.a. "what did you ALMOST buy"

The body as it is, I wasn't particularly interested in. It was more greed for the lenses, which if landed would have been at AUD 28.50 in total.. For that price, I don't think a deal could go much off the rails, even if they are not the sharpest lenses in the drawer. That said, I am semi-actively looking for either a Olympus 14-54 II or Olympus 12-60. Not interested in paying premium prices for them, though. They are most likely more than a decade out of production, warranty and most likely unsupported by any official repair shop, so its a bit of shoot till it stops. :drinks:

I have a nice E-400 with the Kodak KAI-10100 RGB CCD sensor, which is the one I fancied and a model that only was released in Europe, and a 410 with the CMOS sensor, so I am somewhat covered in the 4/3 camera segment. The 410 was bought to get the twin kit lens MkII set, as the 400 just came with a first gen. 40-150, being that they, so far as I can fathom are the same camera with different sensor, some sort of back to back testing could be a interesting past-time.
The 12-60 SWD is renowned for breaking its ribbon cable, Jens. I very deliberately chose the 14-54 MkII for my E-30 because of this and the optical qualities.

You might really appreciate the E-500, which has an 8 MPx CCD Kodak sensor. Beautiful colours from that body.

The 12-60 SWD is renowned for breaking its ribbon cable, Jens. I very deliberately chose the 14-54 MkII for my E-30 because of this and the optical qualities.

You might really appreciate the E-500, which has an 8 MPx CCD Kodak sensor. Beautiful colours from that body.
Or the E-300 (same sensor) I have for sale right here! (Wink wink)

Well this Nikkor Z 85mm F1.2 is going to be a real wallet buster isn’t it so I had a look at some Canon 85mm F1.2 L DSLR lenses which I can put on a Fringer adapter for AF use on my Z6. The auction price was ridiculously low with one hour to go and 17 bidders so I thought I’m not falling for that and ignored it. I now find out the highest winning bid was 200 pounds. Damn! I would have been in there had I known people were only prepared to pay so little. I hope this is a sign of the times with the Canon DSLR used lens pricing.

Well this Nikkor Z 85mm F1.2 is going to be a real wallet buster isn’t it so I had a look at some Canon 85mm F1.2 L DSLR lenses which I can put on a Fringer adapter for AF use on my Z6. The auction price was ridiculously low with one hour to go and 17 bidders so I thought I’m not falling for that and ignored it. I now find out the highest winning bid was 200 pounds. Damn! I would have been in there had I known people were only prepared to pay so little. I hope this is a sign of the times with the Canon DSLR used lens pricing.
It's been a long time now, but in the times I made bids on eBay I always used Auction Sniper. Just checked, I could still log in. I just set the maximum price I'm prepared to pay for an auction and the program makes a bid in the auction's dying seconds. Easy peasy, no stress sitting behind the computer.

It's been a long time now, but in the times I made bids on eBay I always used Auction Sniper. Just checked, I could still log in. I just set the maximum price I'm prepared to pay for an auction and the program makes a bid in the auction's dying seconds. Easy peasy, no stress sitting behind the computer.
Shh - you're not supposed to tell anyone about those sniper apps, that way it'll be only me and you using them. Seriously though, I thought the the low balling so unrealistic that I didn't even bother sniping (which was a serious mistake!).

Last edited:
The Oly 9mm fisheye pancake / body cap lens. An eBay find at well below book price. Complete with the automatic cover, in used but OK condition from a well rated seller. Call me shallow but it's the white version and my EM5ii body and all my lenses are black. Plus I don't really have a use for it.

The Oly 9mm fisheye pancake / body cap lens. An eBay find at well below book price. Complete with the automatic cover, in used but OK condition from a well rated seller. Call me shallow but it's the white version and my EM5ii body and all my lenses are black. Plus I don't really have a use for it.
I wanted to like that nifty little lens, but... f8 on M4/3 is so dark.

Almost got this today:
Nikon 1AW.jpg

But I was probably a bit late to the party, so another buyer was chosen over me. Nice deal with both the AW kit zoom and the 10mm in the bundle, with other sundries shown, all in for €150. I have some fancies towards the Nikon 1s, mostly the AW one but also one of the Vs, probably the V2 if I need to choose. The latter is for some fun and games, horsing around with old long(ish) telephoto lenses.

Deal for OM-5 for $999. I’m tempted for the high level of environmental sealing for outdoor trips. This and the 12-100 F/4 would be a great outdoor trip combo.

Last edited:
I am having a mental battle between choosing a fast wide angle or fast-ish ultra wide prime to complement my Tamy 28-75mm f 2.8 before my holiday to Romania in 6 months.

I'm thinking of ultra wide because I have a few places I want to revisit that would greatly benefit it: 2 mountain paths that are extremely narrow, an 2.000 yeara old underground salt mine, and the typical communist small apartments when I will visit my family members.

The thinking for the fast wide is for indoor portraits use and low light (I will try to do some astrophotography from the mountains nearby) as well as street photography with 2 primes (with Sony FE 85mm f 1.8)

The candidates are:
*Sony FE 28mm f 2 for 200 £
*Samyang AF 24mm f 2.8 FE for 160 £
*Tamron 24mm f 2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2 for 195 £
Or
*Tamron AF 20mm f 2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2 for 250 £
*Samyang AF 18mm f 2.8 FE for 180 £

All the prices are for 2nd hand and I have a discount voucher of 130 £ for any of them. At least I have 6 months to decide.

I am having a mental battle between choosing a fast wide angle or fast-ish ultra wide prime to complement my Tamy 28-75mm f 2.8 before my holiday to Romania in 6 months.

I'm thinking of ultra wide because I have a few places I want to revisit that would greatly benefit it: 2 mountain paths that are extremely narrow, an 2.000 yeara old underground salt mine, and the typical communist small apartments when I will visit my family members.
Not that it is my choice, but I have been horsing around with the M43 UWs and they are great fun, and makes for some interesting and for me at least, inspiring possibilities.

I have worked 9 mm with M43 on and off, for the better part of a year now and I like it quite a lot, but they are somewhat quirky to use, so if you are dipping towards the UW choice, I would get it sooner rather than later and use it a bit, before taking it on the road for serious usage. :drinks:

A Nikkor AI-S 24mm F2 lens was going for $100 which sounds a ridiculous deal and I was that close to pressing the buy button but did the right thing and let the head win over the heart. I'm sure know I would have been happy with it, but decided that accumulating gear just because one can is probably not the way forward. Plus a 24mm F1.4 is probably going to arise at some distant future point in time.

A Nikkor AI-S 24mm F2 lens was going for $100 which sounds a ridiculous deal and I was that close to pressing the buy button but did the right thing and let the head win over the heart. I'm sure know I would have been happy with it, but decided that accumulating gear just because one can is probably not the way forward. Plus a 24mm F1.4 is probably going to arise at some distant future point in time.
You've been very strong!

I have worked 9 mm with M43 on and off, for the better part of a year now and I like it quite a lot, but they are somewhat quirky to use, so if you are dipping towards the UW choice, I would get it sooner rather than later and use it a bit, before taking it on the road for serious usage. :drinks:
I agree, Jens. Anything wider than 12 mm (24mm 135 format equivalent) can be very difficult to get good shots with.

There are good reasons why most manufacturers put out 12-150mm lenses as their "standard range" (24-300 mme in 135 format terms). Any lenses either wider or longer generally require more than normal technique and experience to get good results.

What blasphemy is this? :hmmm: :hiding:
If you read the quote carefully it might have some merit. I refer to the 'just because you can' portion.
I'm occasionally guilty of buying gear with no further reason than 'it's here & cheap' and have to admit that doesn't make sense.
Other reasons for buying such as 'it looks cool', 'I don't have one in that crop factor', 'it will complement my...' are IMO all valid reasons for GAS, and go beyond 'just because you can'. :)

Pentax 110.jpg
Photo from the seller

Lost out on this set yesterday, €50 plus postage. It was gone in 20 minutes and someone was quicker than me on the trigger.

What should I use it for?

Probably shoot a couple of rolls with 110 film and then use the lenses on one of the small M43 bodies. It would also make for a stand-in set for the one my paternal grandfather used to have, in the heritage photographic equipment shelfs.

Back