GAS GAS: Please share your latest near acquisitions - a.k.a. "what did you ALMOST buy"

@Tili, the E-P7 has better AF and I believe better video (not sure I don't shoot video). But if you like the articulating screen then the Pen F might suit you better.

It will DEFINITELY suit you better if you use more manual lenses. The "F" lets you load lens data into shot metadata. I only have one manual lens (the 9mm BCL) so it doesn't really make that much difference to me.

But the reality is also that you can get the Pen F used for about the same price as the E-P7 since, in the US anyway, you have to import them. So you can buy and sell the Pen F without really loosing much if you decide it's not for you. Not the case with the E-P7.
I would agree with all points with you. I hope the Pen F trial won't hurt my wallet too much.

I personally have no need for a E-p7 as I've a lx 100 that fills the "point and shoot" / shoot with screen role.

I also tried the Epl-9 (got it very cheap) and yeah.. I don't like it that much. I should give it another chance before selling it.

I've tried the LX100, twice. I really "dislike" power zoom lenses and I did notice some of the AF issues at infinity. It's a camera I really wanted to like.
I have one with a petal auto-opening cap which make the process of taking a photo a bit faster.
I also have it set to resume my zoom (mostly to 35mm FOV) instead of the default 24mm.
Have not really missed a shot. And yeah it takes a while to collapse, but I just let it hang on my waste while it closes (and auto-caps)
If it had a manual zoom it would be "chefs kiss".

The thing which amazes is me is that at 28mm the lens is at f2.1 which is almost equivalent to the GR's 28mm lens aperture (in full frame depth of field terms).
Such a little beast!

I've tried the LX100, twice. I really "dislike" power zoom lenses and I did notice some of the AF issues at infinity. It's a camera I really wanted to like.
The best thing I could do for my dislike of the power zoom was to turn on the step zoom, I actually really liked the handling of the zoom when I did that. The AF issues, I couldn't quite come to terms with, like you.

I have one with a petal auto-opening cap which make the process of taking a photo a bit faster.
I also have it set to resume my zoom (mostly to 35mm FOV) instead of the default 24mm.
Have not really missed a shot. And yeah it takes a while to collapse, but I just let it hang on my waste while it closes (and auto-caps)
If it had a manual zoom it would be "chefs kiss".

The thing which amazes is me is that at 28mm the lens is at f2.1 which is almost equivalent to the GR's 28mm lens aperture (in full frame depth of field terms).
Such a little beast!

The best thing I could do for my dislike of the power zoom was to turn on the step zoom, I actually really liked the handling of the zoom when I did that. The AF issues, I couldn't quite come to terms with, like you.
I had the Panasonic auto cap both times and set step zoom. My solution? I don't own any power zoom bodies or lenses. 🤭 I have owned a few in the past and do recognize some of the value they offer, but there are enough options that I don't need to deal with them.

YES, mount a Fuji X10/20/30 style manual zoom with the on/off switch built in and take my order now.

I tried two LX100s and both suffered from AF issues. The first was basically unusable at anything past about 3m. The second was better, but probably no more than 75% of photos nearing infinity focus were blurred. Terrible really.

I tried two LX100s and both suffered from AF issues. The first was basically unusable at anything past about 3m. The second was better, but probably no more than 75% of photos nearing infinity focus were blurred. Terrible really.
Could you give an example of a ruined photo like that?

As regards the E-P7 - it looks a nice-enough camera, but I vowed years ago I'd never buy another serious camera without an EVF.
I wouldn't go quite that far.
I probably won't buy another serious DIGITAL camera without an EVF, but I might be tempted by another large format camera or a decent TLR... Thinking about it a medium format DSLR would do as well, if the price was affordable (possible in 10 years time?)

My last digital body was an old Pentax Q - no evf, but it's definitely not a serious camera (despite producing acceptable shots).

And to keep fully on topic, my most recent almost buy was a Takumar 50mm/1.4, I was out bid in the last 5 seconds :(

Last edited:
@Tili
But the reality is also that you can get the Pen F used for about the same price as the E-P7 since, in the US anyway, you have to import them. So you can buy and sell the Pen F without really loosing much if you decide it's not for you. Not the case with the E-P7.
Part of me is glad the E-P7 isn’t sold in the US. I’m a sucker for the Pens.

Other uses I have are using the P12-32 for some basic home video stuff (think birthday vids), and it's actually great at this job. Flippy screen, god-tier ibis and good enough 1080p footage.
With this new m43 attempt, I also had to try the Sigma 56mm f1.4 on and it's just amazingly good. Lovely lens!
I Forgot, remember to set lens IS priority. I have the E-P7 set to lens priority, the P12-32 is my only lens where might be an issue and at that focal range OIS is fine.

I nearly pressed the button on a refurbished (from Fuji Shop) GFX100 SII with 35 - 70 lens and then thought about the buyer's remorse and bank balance afterwards. Bearing in mind the investment in X series lenses I opted for the Fujifilm X-H2S instead and am not disappointed.

Now finally came this lens which I ordered when Nikon had 10% discount some week ago.
The super zoom 18-140. Tried it on a photo walk and it performs very well!

_DSC3546.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I wouldn't go quite that far.
I probably won't buy another serious DIGITAL camera without an EVF, but I might be tempted by another large format camera or a decent TLR... Thinking about it a medium format DSLR would do as well, if the price was affordable (possible in 10 years time?)

My last digital body was an old Pentax Q - no evf, but it's definitely not a serious camera (despite producing acceptable shots).

And to keep fully on topic, my most recent almost buy was a Takumar 50mm/1.4, I was out bid in the last 5 seconds :(
sometimes the seller has something set up like that. If they aren't getting the price they really want. ie like a self buy back. Or some people have it automated to up the bid with a minute to go etc.

do you time the ending of the auction so your there to keep an eye on it? Ha Ha, that's good. I find it's not worth it in the long run. There are enough deals out there to not bother. Know the going rate, find a good price, check the condition of item. PULL THE TRIGGER. Game over. Still come out on top. Although they are adding in import taxes now. It didn't used to be that way.

Back