GAS GAS: Please share your latest near acquisitions - a.k.a. "what did you ALMOST buy"

I've tried the LX100, twice. I really "dislike" power zoom lenses and I did notice some of the AF issues at infinity. It's a camera I really wanted to like.
Same here. I had one, hated the zoom, sold it, missed the IQ and lens so bought another one, hated the zoom, sold it. I could live with the less than stellar EVF but that glacial zoom lens...eesh.

My most recent near miss was on a Fuji X30 about 2 years ago. I was pipped in the last few seconds of an eBay auction. I should have bid that extra £10 -I think an X30 would really suit me but they're really hard to find at reasonable prices now. MPB had a few recently but they had all gone by the time I had funds. Perhaps it's not to be.

I did almost buy a Panasonic G9, it was from a country which I thought we traded for free with. But some hours after placing the order I noticed that we do not and suddenly it became 20% more expensive. Oops! Not so good of a deal then. So I cancelled it. Waiting for a new deal...

A lot has changed over the years. Everyone wants some of the action including ebay, when it comes to selling stuff esp. Ebay wants a fee, Paypal wants a fee etc.

My most recent near miss was on a Fuji X30 about 2 years ago. I was pipped in the last few seconds of an eBay auction. I should have bid that extra £10 -I think an X30 would really suit me but they're really hard to find at reasonable prices now. MPB had a few recently but they had all gone by the time I had funds. Perhaps it's not to be.

If you can find one for an affordable price, Martin, I suspect you would enjoy it. The X30 is one of the finer and more versatile compact small-sensored cameras I've ever used.

Last edited:
I did almost buy this...

Have had my eye on this for long time, last time it was 50% discounted there was not possible to order it. And this time, with even lower price, 550 Euro!!! It seem to have vanished before I had the chance to place an order :(

1665429108698.png

Price increased by 512 Euro!! 🤪

1665429260668.png

BUT!! ....as I clicked around I noticed there were other sellers that also had discount....

So I got this nice deal, 699 Euro! :) (it was about ~7800 SEK with free shipping to Sweden! For a brand new G9!)

1665429587492.png

...and now I got an e-mail from Amazon saying the camera was not available so the order is cancelled and I will get a refund! 😫 seems to be hard to actually get this deal when it comes. Ok, I will wait until next time....
The positive thing is that it suddenly became an On-topic post, I did almost buy it :) thought I was Off-Topic there for a while 😃

...and now I got an e-mail from Amazon saying the camera was not available so the order is cancelled and I will get a refund! 😫 seems to be hard to actually get this deal when it comes. Ok, I will wait until next time....
The positive thing is that it suddenly became an On-topic post, I did almost buy it :) thought I was Off-Topic there for a while 😃
Today Rajalacamera is selling a G9 + 12-60/2.8-4 combo for an even 999 €. Not too bad because the lens is somewhat easily resold for 400 €.

I set out to check on the Mindshift Photocross 13 sling bag at a local camera store. It looked attractive online, but in reality I wasn't swayed by it: not enough options for dividing the space into suitable compartments. So today I saved € 165, yay! Going to revisit my Lowepro 202 sling bag, see if I can fit my present kit in it and then some.

A second M43 body to save swapping lenses. Specifically an Olympus OM-D EM1 iii on mpb.com.

My finger hovered over the Add to Basket button before my brain mugged my heart and made me realise that I didn’t swap lenses that often, my EM5iii was all I really needed and laying out that much money so soon after Christmas was financial irresponsibility running contrary to my New Year’s resolution to spend less in 2023.

Also the UK’s annual photography show is barely 2 months away and I might snag a bargain there.

So then, greed is good, but every once in a while, abstaining is better.

A fresh deal surfaced in the local classifieds that seemed rather sweet, Lumix G5 with the 14-42PZ, along with the rest of the stash and a nice bag for €100

A quick ponder reminded me that I have both the camera and the lens, and I havent used the camera at all, since I bought it last year. It went straight into the collection...

Nope, I will let that deal pass, thank you verrry much.

I had a weak moment and started to pursue an interesting normal lens for M43. Definitely not feeling overly great about spending hundreds over something I have in excess across my other systems.

Now, luckily, the seller I messaged to took his time to respond and he doesn't apparently want to sell it after all. Whew, it was close.

So, seriously lucked out on a couple of 4/3 lenses, the 18-180 and the 70-300, along with a Oly 520.

Local classifieds had it complete with serious amounts outside dust on all of the items, but I think it would hardly have been a wrong buy for the asking price of €20 for the lot, even if it needed dusting and cleaning, If none of the items worked, I think it would have been worth it for the charger, sun shades and front/end caps... :unsure:

Oly 520.jpg

So, seriously lucked out on a couple of 4/3 lenses, the 18-180 and the 70-300, along with a Oly 520.

Local classifieds had it complete with serious amounts outside dust on all of the items, but I think it would hardly have been a wrong buy for the asking price of €20 for the lot, even if it needed dusting and cleaning, If none of the items worked, I think it would have been worth it for the charger, sun shades and front/end caps... :unsure:

View attachment 362475
Jens, congrats on what I assume was a successful purchase on your part.

However, WTF does "lucked out" mean?
Does it really mean that you got lucky?
Its apparent meaning is that you were unlucky ...

Sorry, but the perversion of language really upsets me.

Sorry you missed the deal, Jens.

However, IME the E-520 is not as good as the E-510 (stronger AA filter in the E-520), and neither the 18-180 nor the 70-300 were particularly good lenses IME. Better off with the 50-200 MkI +14-54 MkI or (preferably) the MkII.
The body as it is, I wasn't particularly interested in. It was more greed for the lenses, which if landed would have been at AUD 28.50 in total.. For that price, I don't think a deal could go much off the rails, even if they are not the sharpest lenses in the drawer. That said, I am semi-actively looking for either a Olympus 14-54 II or Olympus 12-60. Not interested in paying premium prices for them, though. They are most likely more than a decade out of production, warranty and most likely unsupported by any official repair shop, so its a bit of shoot till it stops. :drinks:

I have a nice E-400 with the Kodak KAI-10100 RGB CCD sensor, which is the one I fancied and a model that only was released in Europe, and a 410 with the CMOS sensor, so I am somewhat covered in the 4/3 camera segment. The 410 was bought to get the twin kit lens MkII set, as the 400 just came with a first gen. 40-150, being that they, so far as I can fathom are the same camera with different sensor, some sort of back to back testing could be a interesting past-time.

Back