OK, at least 32 for me, counting P&S

Fuji X10, X100s, XF1
Pentax: Optio S, Optio I-10, Q,* ist D, *ist DS, K10D, K7
Nikon Coolpix A
Sony: RX100, A3000
Olympus E10, E100, E300, E-P1, P2, PL1, PL5, PM1, P5, M5, M10, M1
Panasonic XZ-1, G2, G3, GF3, GX7, GM1
Canon EOS M

Wow, i think I'm fairly modest in this company! Being limited to a student budget even 2 years after graduating does help, but if all goes well, my budget to spend as I please looks to go up drastically in a month or two!

So, disregarding the 2 film camera's my parents gave me as a kid, and thuys only counting since i re-ignited my photography hobby:
-Nikon L16. Awful in every way, buyt did get me some cool shots after i stalked a dear up to about 7 meters.
-samsung ex1. Great lens and build quality, mediocre handling, fairly poor jpegs. I learned to take proper photos using this camera, and still have it, but hardly ever use it anymore.
Fuji X100. Like kyle, this is my Never Sell camera, even if future purchaces might outdate it. Such great build quality, lens, handling, files and looks. Served me flawlessly as my main camera throughout my 4 month backpacking trip in west africa, and got me many images I'll be showing my grandkids.
-samsung wb-something travel zoom. Insisted on using 1/8th shutter speed even at 300+ mm and had terrible manual control, so i sold it asap.
-sony hx9v. Replaced the samsung wb, got me some nice photos in africa, even though it sometimes oversaturated madly. My sister uses it now.
-sony nex c3. Bought it for the 16mm lens since the bundle was cheaper than the lens. Awful interface, waiting for funds to buy a nex 5r or nex 6 and the 0.75 wide angle converter before i can see myself using the 16mm. The c3 gives me no pleasure at all.

So, 6 since 2008 or so... not bad right? but as soon as i have some budget...........

Wow, i think I'm fairly modest in this company! Being limited to a student budget even 2 years after graduating does help, but if all goes well, my budget to spend as I please looks to go up drastically in a month or two!

So, 6 since 2008 or so... not bad right? but as soon as i have some budget...........
Hey, give yourself 30 years :sleep:

Okay, I'll play.

1. Canon S50
2. Canon S60 (gave away to a friend)
3. Canon S70
4. Some Casio Exilim (which my wife lost)
5. Canon S90 (GREAT camera until my sister dropped it)
6. Some Olympus Superzoom circa 2006 (hardly ever used; the EVF was almost unusable)
7. Nikon D80 (decided I needed a camera fast enough to focus on my first grandchild)
8. Nikon D7000 (replaced the D80 after I dropped it twice, including once in the Merced River)
9. Olympus XZ-1 (replaced the S90, but I never really liked, sold)
10. Nikon 1 V1 (still have with original 3 lenses but never use)
11 & 12. Sony RX100m3 (on my second after dropping the first and getting a $550 repair quote from Sony)
13. Olympus OM-D E-M5 (after I gave up on the V1's low light performance)
14. Panasonic DMC GX7 (the only camera I ever pre-ordered)
15. Olympus OM-D E-M1 (replace the M5, which I sold)

Lost: 1
Broken: 3
Sold/Gave away: 3
Still own: 8
Currently Use: 3

I felt a bit self conscious about posting my list, but it passed after I saw Amin's list. Holy smokes!

In any event, here it is:

Currently owned digital cameras:

Leica M-P Typ 240
Nikon Df
Canon EOS 7D Mk. II
Canon EOS 50D
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Lumix GF-3
Olympus E-P1
Olympus Stylus 850SW
Kodak CX7310

Only the first three see any use. Everything else is waiting to be donated to any of a number of relatives or friends. The two P&S cameras are not even worth giving away.

Previously owned digital cameras:

Leica M9P (traded in for M-P)
Canon EOS 20D (given to sister)
Canon EOS Digital Rebel (given to brother in law)
Lumix G3 (sold)
Lumix G2 (given to son)
Canon Powershot SD850 IS (given to niece)
Fujifilm Finepix F10 (donated to the Museum of Contemporary Art, and stolen within a month)

So, that's 16 cameras since 2004. Too many, in my opinion. The sad thing is of the entire list, I feel I got my money's worth (in terms of number of shots and keepers) only with the 20D, 50D and the M9P. The point and shoots in particular were a total waste of money, not having gotten a single keeper out of any of them. The jury is still out on my current three users, although I am betting all three will continue to see significant use for some time.

Cheers,

Antonio

Let me try to remember them all..

Kodak DC210 (I think) (died)
Canon Powershot A20 (died)
Canon Powershot A60 (died)
Canon Powershot A700 - just found it at the back of a drawer!
Panasonic FZ8 (sold)
Nikon D40 (sold)
Canon Powershot G12 (sold)
Fujifilm F70EXR (can't remember what happened to that one!)
Sony HX20V (sold)
Sony HX60V (sold)
Panasonic GX1 (sold)
Pentax K-r (sold)
Pentax Q (sold)
Sony RX100 Mk1 (sold)
Nikon V1 (sold)
Fujifilm X10 (sold)
Fujifilm X-E1 (sold)
Fujifilm X100 (sold)
Sigma DP2 Merrill (sold)
Panasonic TZ40 (sold)
Panasonic TZ60 - still have it
Olympus E-M10 - still have it

Those I regret having sold would be the G12 (build quality, excellent controls); the DP2m (sheer IQ in the right conditions); the X-E1 (great lenses); and the Q (just fun!). Biggest disappointment: the X100 without a doubt. I'd craved one for years and hated just about everything about it when I finally got one.

Last edited:
Mh I seldom sell my equipment and so there were a few cameras aggregated in a few years.
My personal history
first digital: Sony Cybershot S30 (1,3MP)
My first serious one: Nikon D80 (sold)
Nikon D300s
Sigma DP2
Sigma DP1s
Nex-5
Fuji X100
Nex-5N
Lumix LX3 (sold)
Sigma DP1M, DP2M, DP3M
Fuji X-E1, X-E2
Nikon 1 V1, J3
SD15, SD1M
Lumix LX7
Sony A7
Sona A6000
Nikon Df
Sony RX10

More alarming I found the fact of round about 140 lenses I've listed in an Excel sheet :).

Since some where around 1960, till now, there have been many cameras. I was a serious hobbyist, with very limited funds. But, I managed to somehow keep looking for the "better" solution, to my lack of quality in my prints, and then digital files. So, I threw too much money at the problem, instead of addressing my lack of skill. Almost, every camera was bought used, including the 3, that the wife and I now own. Many, were semi-pro, but, did not fix my problem. Because the problem was, and still is the operator! Most new camera purchases by the serious hobbyist, is about the machinery, not the photograph. My wife recently did the wedding of a nephew, with the Panasonic GF5 and my 20mm lens, with amazing results. She's happy and the bride is happy. Nuff said?

Number? Who's counting? :hmmm:

My score is 31. But I have the feeling I'm missing some.
Thats why I decided to use the dpreview listing option. Permanent record for as my memory fails :) I have just added another I had forgotten about! Then theres the film cameras, I have 4 or 5 here, but have owned more and cant remember what they were.

My total at the moment is 22, but I'm only using about 6 of the current crop.

holy cow, what a great idea for a commiserative thread! well i cant list 'em all, especially if we go back to film and my first Maxxum, and that weird 3 format size Canon...

lets say this, my favorite film cam i still have and its the Hasselblad Xpan, which rivals the Contax AX as the cams that have impressed me most.

digitally speaking the Epson RD1 is the most impressive to me, out of the literally dozens ive had starting with a 2mp Oly 'all in one' to a 5d to m4/3 to fuji to an RX1 and a score in between.

the most disappointing camera ever, film or digital, hands freaking down was the Sigma SD14. gosh, what it couldve been, but instead it was the single worst piece of hardware ive ever held in my hand, and that includes rusted pipes running into my septic. ):

Last edited:
Thats why I decided to use the dpreview listing option. Permanent record for as my memory fails :) I have just added another I had forgotten about! Then theres the film cameras, I have 4 or 5 here, but have owned more and cant remember what they were.

My total at the moment is 22, but I'm only using about 6 of the current crop.

I did to come up with my count, but I'm not sure it's complete.

Finally - someone beat Amin :D

Oh, I am the very model of an immoderate moderator
I've had Contax, Leica, Nikon, Rollei, Minox and a bunch of others too
I've taken shots from just at home to far-flung fields (not Timbuktoo)
I've lugged my kit o'er hill and dale and pointed it in everywhere
I've pointed it at people tall, and people short and people square
I've spent a fortune on 'em all I really must confess it all
I am the very model of an immoderate moderator...

With apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan.

I'll get my coat... :whistle:

I'm in sunny Spain for the next few weeks and have time to gather my thoughts. Firstly I shall say that before I came away I sold off for p/ex all my cameras, yes all! This left me with none for my holiday ........ I've made my self over anxious by over thinking what is essentially a hobby that's meant to be fun. I then asked the lovely WEX Photographic to return my RX1 the day before I came away which they kindly did, unfortunately without the EVF which they've already credited to my account. Now this throws a completely different complexion on the usability of this great camera for me. I took it to Malaga yesterday and tried to get some Feria shots, the place was everything you expect from a Spanish Fiesta, and this is only the day time activities, the real Feria takes place slightly out of town at night and this is where the more serious party begins. I couldn't see anything of the screen without my reading glasses, this meant wearing them propped up on my head instead of my sunglasses. I tried using face detect hoping that it would help, it didn't. Having reviewed my pics on it's LCD I find a lot of them are out of focus. I tried just holding it away from me and snapping, no good either. The Ricoh GR did better than the RX1 in this regard. The RX1 hasn't had a single firmware update and remains crippled by slow af. It's absolutely fantastic for scenery. I have a constant battle with IQ versus actually getting the picture. I loved the X-T10 with that 56 1.2 lens and it was rather fun if I do say so myself :) My Leica M is currently with a dealer waiting for me to make up my mind about letting it go, meanwhile I deliberate between the A7RII and the A7II. I'm hoping to clear my mind this holiday. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Back