G'day from Oz!

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Hi all,

Very long time lurker and now committed to a higher level of seriousness with compacts and this Forum. I already had the pleasure of bumping into BB on the Marketplace thread and so am already impressed with your Moderator!...always a good barometer to gauge a site.

I am a daily on another brand Forum, so I feel a little awkward coming here behind their back ;)

Well as I said I lurked here for many many hours a few years back. And it was this site that was responsible for my years of pleasure with the GRDII. However, like anyone suffering LBA (lens buying addiction - sorry not sure if that's common nomenclature around these parts) I sold off my constant companion to consolidate some lenses for my Pentax. I still have far too many lenses to clip into my K, and after several frustrations I find myself, again, looking at compacts.

Why?

Well like many other frustrated working-class enthusiast, I dream of the M9 with a 35/2 Summicron plugged out front. I started with digital back in 2004 and a Nikon D50 - nice enough camera but the Gameboy controls got a little frustrating after a time. I then moved to an Oly E1....oh I have some regrets trading up from that baby, but that's another story. So I ended up with both the Pentax and the GRDII - and as I said I parted with my Sketchbook. Long story short - I still want the Leica, but it will not hapen until I can draw those 8 Lotto numbers - and maybe enter the draw :blush: Now I have myself an LX5 - an impulse buy on a work trip....and I am hoping to return to a Serious Compact (which is subject to my Trade ad).

So a pleasure to be here. In the future I definitely see a Sigma DP2 and possibly DP1....and in six months I hope to be united with the Fuji x100.....hmmmm...

So hello all.

stillshunter, good evening to you from New York and thanks for your super intro! I had to laugh as I read through it - not at you, but with recognition. I'm currently using an LX5 which I have to say I'm enjoying, but I definitely have my eye on that upcoming Fuji, too. There are several here who will confess to this.;)

Please make yourself at home and do share a some of your photos with us, when you have the chance.:drinks:

Hello stillshunter, I'm saving for a Leica lens (the cheapest probably!) Can't decide between the 35s or 50s. I can use it on my NEX 5 in the meantime but then I will "need" an M9 :D Another thing that I thought of regarding the Sigma DPs, although LR3 now supports the DP1 (and maybe others) the Sigma software definitely brings out the best in the X3f files but unfortunately I've never been able to make it run properly on my Mac, even with the latest software update. If you have Windows then you would probably be okay ;)

Happy to share a few street shots taken recently with the LX-5 - and would appreciate the C&C. Out of curiosity where is the most appropriate place to post them?....don't want to venture into a Forum faux pas this early in the game :blush:

P.S., I've just stumbled onto the Member's Galleries, so I assume no-one should be offended with some early, naive uploads there...:redface:

I'd say if you are really after C&C that you have two choices - either find an existing image thread that seems good as in Streetphotography or, better yet, if you really want serious C&C it is better post a new thread in the Photography Technique forum. Eventually we may start a members only forum space called "Image Works" or something similar where registered members can post their photos for constructive feedback and/or ask questions about specific things pertaining to their photos... Right now we don't have that more private venue, so I think the Photography Technique forum is the best place.

If you're half hearted about C&C ;)..as in you want it but it's not the main reason for posting, then an image thread is OK. Generally the Words/No Words threads are not for critiques...that is one of the reasons they're set up as they are, if you follow me?

P.S. stillhunter, I promise you will not be run out of town on a rail for any faux pas, at least not "tarred and feathered".:D

Here's an explanation I stole from one of our members here, Brian, who got me started on the Words/No Words style of image threads. I'm quoting Brian here:
The W/NW threads are not for critique of images. Post a follow-up image and let it speak for itself, and to inspire- rather than giving advice on how you would have done the image. W/NW threads typically are open to all types of camera formats, even in semi-dedicated sites such as this one.

W/NW threads were popular on photo.net, going back a long time. I first started participating in ~2002. Several Photography sites have set up W/NW forums. Rangefinderforum.com has an active W/NW forum.

Just to add- many times you get a Photo that you want to show, and on a site with a W/NW forum- often an existing thread is there to place it in. Otherwise, many "one-Photo" threads come, and sink into the abyss within a week. The W/NW threads bring the old posts back to the surface.

stillshunter, good evening to you from New York and thanks for your super intro! I had to laugh as I read through it - not at you, but with recognition. I'm currently using an LX5 which I have to say I'm enjoying, but I definitely have my eye on that upcoming Fuji, too. There are several here who will confess to this.;)

Please make yourself at home and do share a some of your photos with us, when you have the chance.:drinks:

"I'm currently using an LX5"
Great choice Wylie :D

Back