Gear consolidation - Anyone else thinking about it?

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Part of me is thinking, event work and other types of photography will need to adapt to the current global situation. In fact I just did a portrait session a few days ago, and I used to think 85mm was good enough pre-pandemic, but now I'm leaning towards maybe 105mm or 135mm instead for safer working distance. While my current kit is fully situated to cover most types of photography, maybe it's time to rethink focal lengths and what types of photography will be sustainable for the future?
Love the 85mm f/1.4, it was one of my favorite portrait lenses, in fact almost all of these were shot with it.

On APS-C :hiding:

Nikon 105mm or Sigma 135mm? I not sure which I would pick. I switched it the 70-200 f/2.8 for most of my portrait stuff when I went FF.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
I remember a similar thread some years ago when I sold all of my m43 and Fuji gear. Consolidation works. Apart from replacing my GRII with the III (which I regret), I haven't had another camera or lens purchase in 2 or 3 years and done less PP.

serhan

All-Pro
May 7, 2011
NYC
I need to consolidate mine too. I try to have lenses that can be used multiple systems, but then Samyang and Tamron release these small lenses for Sony that I cannot resist:) I like the Samyang 45/75mm, but then I got Tamron 70-180mm though I was not planning as 85mm+135mm shooter. When I had Canon, I consolidated both with Canon 100mm previously. New Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 gives you much better flexibility. Our pets are my lens test subjects and they usually turn their heads away from my camera:( So I end up shooting with 180mm end most of the time with occasional closer shots. f2.8 is good for indoor low light. When I checked the 180-200mm options, there is hardly any lens comparable to Tamron except maybe new Canon zoom and pricey CV 180mm f4 with 1 stop light loss. Tamron might give you the range you need in a small package...

Part of me is thinking, event work and other types of photography will need to adapt to the current global situation. In fact I just did a portrait session a few days ago, and I used to think 85mm was good enough pre-pandemic, but now I'm leaning towards maybe 105mm or 135mm instead for safer working distance. While my current kit is fully situated to cover most types of photography, maybe it's time to rethink focal lengths and what types of photography will be sustainable for the future?

emerson

Top Veteran
Oct 2, 2015
Maritime Canada
David
I'm post-consolidation. Intentionally moved from a pile of Nikon gear to compacts for a variety of good reasons, but harboured some concern that with less equipment I would miss out on some vaguely defined 'opportunity'. Many months later, and I can't think of a shot I have 'missed'. In fact, now that I more consistently carry a camera, both quantity and quality are up. More time taking photos, less time obsessing over perfecting my kit. No regrets at all.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I need to consolidate mine too. I try to have lenses that can be used multiple systems, but then Samyang and Tamron release these small lenses for Sony that I cannot resist:) I like the Samyang 45/75mm, but then I got Tamron 70-180mm though I was not planning as 85mm+135mm shooter. When I had Canon, I consolidated both with Canon 100mm previously. New Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 gives you much better flexibility. Our pets are my lens test subjects and they usually turn their heads away from my camera:( So I end up shooting with 180mm end most of the time with occasional closer shots. f2.8 is good for indoor low light. When I checked the 180-200mm options, there is hardly any lens comparable to Tamron except maybe new Canon zoom and pricey CV 180mm f4 with 1 stop light loss. Tamron might give you the range you need in a small package...
Haha, I've been eyeballing the Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 FE and even the Samyang 75mm 1.8, despite owning the Samyang 85mm 1.4 AF lens! I currently own the Sony 70-200mm f4, but now I'm thinking of selling it for the Tamron. I also have my Nikon kit, but as mentioned there are still some Nikon strengths I like and the DSLR gear just works as @davidzvi mentioned. I hate being torn between two systems! Oh did I mention I still love shooting with my Nikon 1 J5? I even have a compact camera problem! :roflmao:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
I remember a similar thread some years ago when I sold all of my m43 and Fuji gear. Consolidation works. Apart from replacing my GRII with the III (which I regret), I haven't had another camera or lens purchase in 2 or 3 years and done less PP.
The only regret I sometimes have is how quickly I sold off all my Nikon gear. It's left me very little justification to buy a Z6 or Z7. :D

While it did cost me some cash, I'm really regretting sticking more of my leg into Fuji for a while. I enjoyed it and learned a few things. But not buying anything for 2-3 years? :eek: One reason I've had so many cameras and lenses over the past dozen or so years is I enjoy all parts of the buying, using, and sell. Buy I can tell you it's been a lot more fun doing it with the prices of m4/3 gear than is was with my Nikon gear.

Haha, I've been eyeballing the Tamron 70-180mm 2.8 FE and even the Samyang 75mm 1.8, despite owning the Samyang 85mm 1.4 AF lens! I currently own the Sony 70-200mm f4, but now I'm thinking of selling it for the Tamron. I also have my Nikon kit, but as mentioned there are still some Nikon strengths I like and the DSLR gear just works as @davidzvi mentioned. I hate being torn between two systems! Oh did I mention I still love shooting with my Nikon 1 J5? I even have a compact camera problem! :roflmao:
You know what lens I'd be looking really hard at if I was still shooting events? The Tamron 35-150mm f/2.8-4.0.

When I shot APS-C I mainly used f/2.8 zooms with a few f/1.8 thrown in. When I went FF f/4 zoom became my primary tools giving me similar DoF to f/2.8 on APS-C. So I actually went to smaller and lighter system for most of my shooting going FF. But I still almost always carried two bodies on me, one with the 70-200 f/4 and the other with a wide or mid zoom; especially during the cocktail hour so I could get the candid shot across the room or the small group standing next to me. The 35-150mm would have worked well for both.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
So, is my “not worth selling” mu43 gear now worth more or less? :wink:
I should note that my X100V is completely unaffected by whatever system I were to choose. If I did move to Sony, for example, the X100 would still play the same role it does now in my kit.

Last edited:

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
So, is my “not worth selling” mu43 gear now worth more or less? :wink:
It could go either way. I would not be surprised if some sellers try to create an artificially high market by jacking up the prices of used m4/3 gear. I would also not be surprised if some people panic and try to dump their m4/3 gear. Then there's those of us in the middle ground, who will shrug and say "my gear is not going to suddenly stop working even if there's no more new Olympus gear". I think there are many of us who could never buy a camera or lens for the rest of our lives, and our current gear would be fine. On my heaviest use days I might shoot 100 images, and most days it is less than 10.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom