Gear consolidation - Anyone else thinking about it?

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Of course, over-consolidation is a thing (well, it is now!). I sold a Fuji XT1 along with all my Fuji gear to buy a rangefinder and a Nikkor 20mm F1.8G, as I had a Zeiss Biogon 21mm F2.8 and wanted avoid duplication. Wouldn't be surprised if I get those 2 items again.
I've done that, buying an X-T1 more than once, same with the 23mm F2, the 18mm F2, the XF 18-55, the OMD E-M5 Mk I, and the O 17/1.8. All of those are gone (again), and I'm working very hard to shift my focus away from gear, to just the act of using what I have, which is a very small collection.
I've done that often. This is actually the first time in a VERY long time I've allowed myself to have a bit of duplication/overlap. I currently have the P14, PL15, P20, PL25.

Atom Ant

Regular
Aug 31, 2017
Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Adam
I feel quite restrained. 😇

I’ve never bought the same lens thrice or more times. An advantage of having a smaller resale market is that it’s harder sell my lenses, so that I don’t need to buy them back again. 🤔

I’ve bought two lenses twice - the Oly 17/1.8 because I wanted it in black after I gave my silver copy to my son, and a second Minolta/Sony 50/1.4 after the first one died.

Unless you count replacing lenses after a burglary, in which case the insurance company has bought a few second lenses for me. 😎

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
So I'm seriously getting the urge to move some of my telephoto lenses from the Nikon side to the Sony side. I've been thoroughly impressed by the Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 lens, now I want to add the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 and maybe sell off my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II. Tamron, Samyang and (recently) Sigma have all gone on lens diets with their mirrorless lens designs. I can also go with the new Sigma 100-400mm DG for Sony if I sell my 300mm f/4 PF VR and get added range on the Sony side. Decisions!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom