Gear consolidation - Anyone else thinking about it?

Of course, over-consolidation is a thing (well, it is now!). I sold a Fuji XT1 along with all my Fuji gear to buy a rangefinder and a Nikkor 20mm F1.8G, as I had a Zeiss Biogon 21mm F2.8 and wanted avoid duplication. Wouldn't be surprised if I get those 2 items again.
I've done that, buying an X-T1 more than once, same with the 23mm F2, the 18mm F2, the XF 18-55, the OMD E-M5 Mk I, and the O 17/1.8. All of those are gone (again), and I'm working very hard to shift my focus away from gear, to just the act of using what I have, which is a very small collection.
I've done that often. This is actually the first time in a VERY long time I've allowed myself to have a bit of duplication/overlap. I currently have the P14, PL15, P20, PL25.

I feel quite restrained. 😇

I’ve never bought the same lens thrice or more times. An advantage of having a smaller resale market is that it’s harder sell my lenses, so that I don’t need to buy them back again. 🤔

I’ve bought two lenses twice - the Oly 17/1.8 because I wanted it in black after I gave my silver copy to my son, and a second Minolta/Sony 50/1.4 after the first one died.

Unless you count replacing lenses after a burglary, in which case the insurance company has bought a few second lenses for me. 😎

So I'm seriously getting the urge to move some of my telephoto lenses from the Nikon side to the Sony side. I've been thoroughly impressed by the Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 lens, now I want to add the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8 and maybe sell off my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II. Tamron, Samyang and (recently) Sigma have all gone on lens diets with their mirrorless lens designs. I can also go with the new Sigma 100-400mm DG for Sony if I sell my 300mm f/4 PF VR and get added range on the Sony side. Decisions!

Back