GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

A whole lot of stuff. Between gear just not working well for me, my persistent health issues and their affect on my ability to roam and use heavier gear, and the covid-related travel issues most of my stuff has sat unused. Then they cut down the tree outside my apartment and my available birding opportunities vanished. Been trying ways to work around some of the issues, currently trying the XF 70-300. May be a significant change in my photo gear and what I try to shoot. I'll know by the end of the year at the latest.

Any stuff not Fuji is gone. Some Fuji stuff departed as well. More decisions to be made.

Divested myself of the Ricoh GRII which I have used on and off over the last few years, and taken some remarkable photographs with, mainly because I found that my much less sophisticated (and, arguably, lower quality) smaller-sensored Fujifilm X30, had more or less taken its place when I found myself reaching for a small camera. They are of course two entirely different beasts - though the X30 is very small, it is nowhere near as tiny as the GRii - but its tiny-but-usable EVF possibly was the tipping point. I like cameras with viewfinders. And when I get the urge for a foolishly tiny pocketable camera, my Q7 with its minuscule prime lens, has become my favorite.

After a serious look at the images from our annual trip to North Myrtle Beach. I decided to transition from the Fuji 16mm 2.8 back to the 16mm 1.4. Since I just picked up the 2.8 from Amazon, it is still in the return window so it was an easy disposal. Also, because I haven't actually left the house with it and had a chance to abuse it. So it was still in like new condition, or I would have went through the selling process.

In a probably vain attempt to simplify the row of cameras which sit upon my shelf, staring silently at me and guilt-tripping me (because, sigh, I don't have time to use them all consistently, let alone give each of them the attention they deserve), I have sold what has to be one of the best (and best-built) all-in-one 'bridge cameras' I have ever owned or used: a Sony RX10 Mark IV. Though hefty and on the large-ish side, its Zeiss zoom lens almost made you think the camera's small 1-inch sensor was much much larger. But, the honest truth is: I only used it on relatively rare trips.

Moral of the story: there are some cameras which, it doesn't seem like, one can (or would) truly live without. But in spite of its many stellar qualities, I don't miss my old RX10M4.

Last edited:
In a probably vain attempt to simplify the row of cameras which sit upon my shelf, staring silently at me and guilt-tripping me (because, sigh, I don't have time to use them all consistently, let alone give each of them the attention they deserve), I have sold what has to be one of the best (and best-built) all-in-one 'bridge cameras' I have ever owned or used: a Sony RX10 Mark IV. Though hefty and one the large-ish side, its Zeiss zoom lens almost made you think the camera's small 1-inch sensor was much much larger. But, the honest truth is: I only used it on relatively rare trips.

Moral of the story: there are some cameras which, it doesn't seem like, one can (or would) truly live without. But in spite of its many stellar qualities, I don't miss my old RX10M4.
Cameras are so darn good these days that you often don't know whether you really love a camera till it's gone. Much of the value we put on the little beasts may be due to imagined potential, more than actual enjoyment!

I have the venerable GX8 up in the local classified for the moment, I love it as such, but between the G9 and the GX9, its not seeing much action these days. Other stuff going up into them will be the Oly 45 and the P25, and perhaps a 12-32, I think I have four of them for the moment, down one that went to my brother for his birthday.

The cute little Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC has been returned to the previous owner with no loss.

Nice lens with a unique character wide open, but ultimately it competed too much with the Summicron 35 ASPH. The previous owner expressed interest in buying it back a few times so I determined he's getting more out of the lens than I will.

The cute little Voigtländer 35mm f/1.4 Nokton MC has been returned to the previous owner with no loss.

Nice lens with a unique character wide open, but ultimately it competed too much with the Summicron 35 ASPH. The previous owner expressed interest in buying it back a few times so I determined he's getting more out of the lens than I will.
That's a really nice way of trying out if a lens works for you. In 2013 the Voigtländer 1.4/40 Nokton MC was the first lens I bought for the Sony A7; cute indeed, but I decided I wanted better image quality and I didn't like the handling at all, so it moved on.

The A7c.
It's a little powerhouse but I decided after the first full day of use that I appreciate a larger EVF and external controls.
The 40mm 2.5 was equally as nice but was added to the chopping block to make room.
Excellent gear. Just not for me or not now anyway.

Back