GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

Hey, Miguel, don't EVER try out the f/4 8-25 Olympus.
It does rather spoil one, and that's coming from my FTs f/4 7-14 ...
There's an old Pentax 24-50mm manual focus zoom lens, if I remember correctly. I even bought one from a shop, but had to return it same day when I discovered something was blocking the focus ring inside the lens.

I should find another copy of that...

Thanks Andrew (@agentlossing) and thanks Tony (@tonyturley) for both of your suggestions which are excellent (I'm talking about the 24-50) and mouthwatering (the 24-35 currently on eBay). Believe it or not, about a year ago, I foolishly briefly owned and then sold another even cool small Pentax zoom, the FA 20-35 (link here) which I wish I had back now. But the notoriously quirky vintage-Pentax-lens-Gods have smiled on me as I've acquired the one lens I was hoping to find, the slightly wider 24mm macro-focusing Vivitar twin of the 28mm I just sold. It won't reach me for another 10 days, but this is what it looks like--

Vivitar_24mm_lens.jpeg

Which means it automatically ticks one of the boxes of my ideal lens, i.e. a very-small-barely-larger-than-a-so-called-pancake lens - which I would prefer to fit on my present K-S1, which is the smallest (dimension-wise and weight-wise) DSLR that Pentax ever made. So small is good, in my book. The lens has also received a number of cool reviews from a handful of hardcore Pentaxians on PentaxForums -- so I'm optimistic. (To be continued in the future...)

Dangit Miguel, now look what happened. That Pentax 24-35 I was trying to get you to buy followed me home. Now I have to get rid of something to make room for it. Sigh.

It looked like a superb bit of glass to me. Congrats, Tony! I think it will be a fun lens to play around with.
I used to participate on Pentaxforums a fair bit back when I had a K30. There are definitely a number of dedicated Pentax users out there. If they had a camera closer in size to the X-T3 . . . well, let's not go there. :D

Well, technically speaking, though the KP is quite a bit thicker than the X-T3 (mainly due the bulk of its DSLR pentaprism, which the mirrorless Fuji doesn't have), the two cameras are about the same length... and, surprisingly, feel rather similar in-hand, if you've tried them both.

Obviously the Pentax is clunkier, but the KP is one of the more innovative and capable cameras Pentax has come out with recently, in my admittedly skewed perspective. But both are among my favorite cameras of any kind.

Thanks for that comparison, Miguel. They are indeed similar in dimensions except for their thickness. The KP has long been the camera I thought I'd get if I ever got another Pentax. My wife has been complaining that the ukuleles I build are taking over the house. Maybe I should try to sell one or two and use the $$ to get a KP. Hmmmmm . . .

So, a bit of culling of the Pens are in order, adds up in the local classifieds for two E-PM1s and the E-PL8.

EPL8-2.jpgEPM 1 Sølv.jpgEPM1 sort.jpg

The micros is nice but more menu driven than I like, and the 8 is just to big for what it offer, I would rather take the EM10MkII or MkIV out, than the 8. E-PL8 has just over 800 shutter releases, the silver E-PM1 2000 and change and the the black one 3000 and change.

I think my E-PL3 and 7 will fill the "Pen" niche sufficiently well to not bother with others, even though there has been thoughts of E-PM2.

I hold the Pen F outside the discussion, it is a different beast entirely, and I will probably get one somewhere down the road. It is an itch I fancy scratching, even though I prioritized getting a very mint EM-10MkIV over a Pen F in early summer.

Last edited:
Thanks for that comparison, Miguel. They are indeed similar in dimensions except for their thickness. The KP has long been the camera I thought I'd get if I ever got another Pentax. My wife has been complaining that the ukuleles I build are taking over the house. Maybe I should try to sell one or two and use the $$ to get a KP. Hmmmmm . . .

The interesting thing about KP's is, over the last few months the used ones actually seem to have been coming down slightly in prices. You can pick them up in good condition now for close to $500 give or take, and they are more than worth that.

I remember appreciating (and long-distance drooling over) a number of photos you posted of some wonderful looking ukuleles you were building. Gorgeous looking instruments, all of them. If I only played the ukulele, I would seriously consider buying one of yours. (I know, I know, I could learn... but right now I don't have the energy to make that commitment.)

The E-PL8 is out the door in tomorrows mail, which was quicker than expected. Not complaining though.

Also out the door today was a pair of Rogers LS3/5A speakers, so the camera fund is getting a much needed reimbursement after getting the OM-1/ Oly 100-400 combo, which left it utterly drained. The upside of that draining is that the GAS is mostly gone. :drinks:

The E-PL8 is out the door in tomorrows mail, which was quicker than expected. Not complaining though.

Also out the door today was a pair of Rogers LS3/5A speakers, so the camera fund is getting a much needed reimbursement after getting the OM-1/ Oly 100-400 combo, which left it utterly drained. The upside of that draining is that the GAS is mostly gone. :drinks:
Aw - no more wheeling and dealing then?

You parted with a set of LS3/5A’s?! Good grief…I’m sure that did help fill up the piggy bank quite a bit, but I hope you don’t miss them too much!

Aw - no more wheeling and dealing then?
Probably will be, I have more stuff to flog but getting a somewhat good inventory going over the last months has been... interesting and somewhat sobering. :blush:

You parted with a set of LS3/5A’s?! Good grief…I’m sure that did help fill up the piggy bank quite a bit, but I hope you don’t miss them too much!
Had them since the late 80s, they havent been used since the little Mrs redecorated the living room when I was over in that sandy place more than a decade ago.

I dont really have the ears to pick up the nuances of HiFi systems either, hearing is more to the tune of JBL boom speakers and streaming, so it was time for them to go. Bundling them with the Apollo stands they where on, also reclaimed about a square meter of space in the den, so there is always that. I also have a pair of similarly sized Jamo speakers somewhere in the basement, along with the little Denon system that I used with the Rogers, so I am not entirely lost. Not the same quality, but that goes for the listener as well. :laugh1:

Got less than I fancied, but enough for it to be reasonable at both ends of the sale.

On Sunday I had a very lucky day for going out, found deer, lots of birds, but things didn't go very well towards the end. I had my Tamy 150-500mm f 5-6.7 with me (no tripod collar and no lens hood) and I slipped on a bit of mud on a bit of inclination. I tried to regain my balance but I was leaning to much on the right side and I felt my arm snap downwards and I dislocated my shoulder.. again. Had to pop it back in and it's been soar and painful since.
Yesterday I decided that as much as I love the Sony system for the image quality and AF performance it's just to heavy for me for wildlife.
Tomorrow all my Sony stuff are going to WEX Photo Video for trade-in and I will replace it with Olympus OM-1. (Panasonic was very close in the race but the lack of Digital Focus Limiter and a physical switch on the Panasonic X 35-100mm f 2.8 pushed me to Olympus)

On Sunday I had a very lucky day for going out, found deer, lots of birds, but things didn't go very well towards the end. I had my Tamy 150-500mm f 5-6.7 with me (no tripod collar and no lens hood) and I slipped on a bit of mud on a bit of inclination. I tried to regain my balance but I was leaning to much on the right side and I felt my arm snap downwards and I dislocated my shoulder.. again. Had to pop it back in and it's been soar and painful since.
Yesterday I decided that as much as I love the Sony system for the image quality and AF performance it's just to heavy for me for wildlife.
Tomorrow all my Sony stuff are going to WEX Photo Video for trade-in and I will replace it with Olympus OM-1. (Panasonic was very close in the race but the lack of Digital Focus Limiter and a physical switch on the Panasonic X 35-100mm f 2.8 pushed me to Olympus)
Woo, that must have been very painful Ovi.......and to put your shoulder back in.....wow.
I thought you might be safer strolling rather than cycling, but now I'm no so sure. ;)
Hope you recover soon.... and I'm sure the OM-1 will help.

Woo, that must have been very painful Ovi.......and to put your shoulder back in.....wow.
I thought you might be safer strolling rather than cycling, but now I'm no so sure. ;)
Hope you recover soon.... and I'm sure the OM-1 will help.
I have enough damage in my body that if you shake me people will start singing Christmas carols to my jingling :p
I'm okay with riding a bike but I need to make sure my body position is as much upright as possible to take the strain off my shoulders and upper back, though my lower back has a limit to how much pressure It can take. This is why I wanted electric peddle assist, among my lower lung capacity and breathing problem.

The OM-1 or even G9 Mark II will be a huge improvement in stability, the Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 would be the ultimate portability and high image quality because the 1.4x and 2x TC makes it an amazing 70-280mm f 4-5.6 and 100-400mm f 5.6-8 at 780 grams and 820 grams.
(The practical downsides of this combo is no AF limiter, no Dual IS compatibility with OM-1 and weather sealing is not as reliable as Olympus, I had my 50-200mm ended up with water splashes behind the front element 5 years ago)

I will replace it with Olympus OM-1. (Panasonic was very close in the race but the lack of Digital Focus Limiter and a physical switch on the Panasonic X 35-100mm f 2.8 pushed me to Olympus)

I have no idea about how the Sony fares, photography wise, but I find the OM-1 to be a proper beast of a machine so far, and well balanced with the Oly 100-400.

Combined with the two f:4 12/-150 zooms, it is a somewhat decently sized package, with the whole set-up is weighting in at about 2,6 kilos or about 6 lbs, with the camera and small zooms at just a tad over 1200 grams/3lbs and the 100-400 at 1400 grams/3.5ish lbs.

Back