GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

I brainfarted and made this tread: GAS - Running on fumes - what did you sell this week?

So then, copying another popular tread from another sold off forum, what did you sell or posted ads for this week?

I put up my silver GF2 with 2390 actuations on it, along with the silver lenses: a 14 f:2.5, one of those 14-42 kit zooms (MkI) and a LVF-1, all posted in separate ads on the local eqv. of Craigs list.

I dont fancy silver cameras and am scarred from youth, where the $50 extra for a black camera was prioritized towards some extra rolls of film, instead of the lushness that is a fully black body. I have a black GF2 in the cupboard so I am GTG as to the particular model, ditto with the 14mm in MkII version as well as a black 14-42 MkI, which will probably find its way out in the local classifieds sometimes soon.

View attachment 308713

The separate sales are blatantly for profit maximising and easier sales, even if it means taking longer, and trotting off to the mail office several times. Sold as a bundle in the local market, I could probably count my self lucky if the lot went for 120 bucks. Separate sales will most likely double that or better.

What I have actually sold this week is a LVF-1, in response to a "wanted" ad. I had 4 or 5 of those, and plan to keep two, so the surplus is going to the marketplace.

Of the items put up for sale, I have sold both lenses and had a "tug on the line" with the camera but it fizzled out to nothing.

A little while ago I got myself an EM1 ii and planned to sell my EM5 ii.
I had the EM5 ii set up with the in-body focus stacking hack that allowed any lens to be used.
I often use focus stacking and so bought the Oly 30mm f/3.5 Macro which was the only affordable option with the EM1 ii.
I then decided to keep the Em5 ii and so the 30mm macro became truly redundant.....For general photography I would use my Pana 12-35mm and if macro was needed I could borrow my wife's gear [X-T2 and fantastic Fuji 80mm Macro].
Sad...but I can't think of a lens that I have ever been less likely to use.

In the weeks before, after and during the shellshock to my PayPal account in the purchase of the Pentax K-1 II, I've had a pretty busy couple of months on eBay, as well as a few things sold elsewhere. Just the eBay stuff:
  • a whopping 4 lots of vintage cameras in nonworking condition. I found that including 3-6 cameras per Priority Mail flat rate box and pricing in the $50-60 range makes for a quick sale, whereas pricing nonworking vintage cameras at around $20-30 apiece results in very few bites and extended listing times. None of these were particularly special cameras, just some of the things I'd collected over the years.
  • Venus Laowa 100mm f2.8 Macro "Dreamer" lens. This was bundled in with my K-1 for free on Adorama, sold for $400 so that is a good bit of a rebate on the high cost (for me) of a FF camera. I barely took it out of the box. It's a hefty, metal manual focus macro lens, offering 2x macro capabilities without extension tubes or anything similar. Not my thing, but seemed nice.
  • A Timex field watch which I don't wear anymore. The Orient dive watch I'm wearing now is my main, and now only, wristwatch.
  • GariZ leather half case for the EM5 II. Didn't find that it fit my hand particularly well, despite being a fine piece of craftsmanship.
  • old Seikanon 28mm f2.8 macro lens for Canon FD. How did I end up with that?
  • Polaroid Go mini camera. Kind of fun and small size for an instant camera, but I had no real need to keep it.
  • A small CRKT multitool that I still had new in the box.
  • A Bradford Guardian 3 knife, used it a bit, but was what the knife community calls a "shelf queen" so out it went.
  • A Kizer Vindicator folding knife, ditto the above description.

Still offloading things to pay for the K1! Recently shipped off the K1000 along with a Sears 80-200mm and a Pentax-M 2/50mm. Since I was given an MX, there wasn't a whole lot of reason to keep a body I don't enjoy using very much, no matter how "cult icon" its current status was. I got a good price for it, as I assumed I would, and was, let's say, not at all surprised to see the shipping address was to Portland, OR. ;)

Also shipped out an old Rolleicord which was in need of a CLA. For some reason, I had it around for years but never felt much of an itch to shoot with it, I don't know why. 120 film should draw me in with its compelling look and detail, but... *shrug* Maybe someday.

Sold TTArtisan 23mm f1.4 for Fuji.
(Rage Incoming)
If you buy a wide aperture lens, it should be usable at it's widest. If peaking doesn't even work, it means the lens is NOT sharp.
I refuse to stop down to get more sharpness for a portrait, why then did I buy a freaking f1.4 lens?
From exparience; Fuji, Zhongi/Mitakon, Panasonic and Leica can do sharp images AND be used wide open. So it's not impossible.
It's just frustrating that people review that lens saying "sharp in the middle" + affordable f1.4 lens, and all that nonsense. It's not even close.
(End Rage)
I didn't like the lens.

I, too, like my lenses to be 'clinically' sharp, @Tili .

One can always soften an image (I have never done this deliberately), but one cannot make a blurry image sharp ...

e.g. my XK 150 image will forever be slightly OoF and soft, but at least it shows the beautiful lines of the car.

IMG_20220803_130804.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So the silver GF2 is underway to its new owner, took 90 days, but hey ho, off it go.

Also got around to put an ad out for my bought new back in the early 90s, Yashica T3, after the last shennanigans I can do with recuperating some funds, will most likely put up the G7 as well, I was when all is said and done just getting it due to the Lumix 12-60 it came with, so it was in the cards from the start.

I'm shipping off the Voigtlander Bessa-T and Color-Skopar 35mm lens today. I will miss that setup, but it was a successful first foray into the M-mount (and interchangeable lens rangefinders). There are enough options in that realm that I still want to try, I can admit that now is not the right time for that, but hopefully the future will hold some more opportunity. And, I finally get that full frame Pentax paid off now.

@agentlossing. Andrew, never buy non-essential items on credit.

I've been a CPA for over 30 years. Using credit of any description this way is almost always disastrous.

My brother bankrupted himself and his wife doing just that.
Oh believe me, that's not a pitfall I'm about to walk blindly into. I work in retail banking, I see the cautionary tales all the time.

I bought the K1 with my mind already made up that, if it worked out for me (and I determined whether it would within the first few days, really), 100% of the cost would be paid with current gear. If I wanted to buy the thing outright I would have, but, I have this thing... very, very seldom does new money enter the photographic hobby wallet. Mostly just around birthdays or whatever. The fires are fed with what's already found, collected, received as gifts or bought some time ago. PayPal Credit no-interest financing enables the swapping of gear this way rather handily.

The only question was, would the Bessa really be the thing to go. And it speaks good things for the K1 (and the ecosystem opportunities which it provides) that it was able to oust another camera that I enjoy.

I have this thing... very, very seldom does new money enter the photographic hobby wallet. Mostly just around birthdays or whatever.
That sounds somewhat familiar, I got a "fund" going when I entered M43 system and sold off my Pentax K7 with sundries and a rather large Canon system from my late father.

Turning 50 brought additional money into the gear fund for big ticket items and the rest is somewhat self-financing with buy and sell in the "hobbies-o-sphere" or low-cost items.

Combination of things. The biggest might have been I think it's too small. It seemed like I was moving the camera a little with every shutter press. It was an odd feeling like I couldn't hold it steady and it was worse when trying to do the full press snap focus.

I had it for about a month and took it with me on a week's vacation. Ended up doing some of the same things I did several years ago when I took an X70. I enjoyed shooting the X70 more and liked the output more. So I sold the GR and have an X70 coming.

Nothing really wrong with the camera, I've looked at GRs for years and always thought to try one, now I have. Trying different stuff is just one of the things I enjoy about photography.

Back