GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

Today I traded in the little Pentax Q10 with the 5-15mm f 2.8-4.5 and 15-45mm f 2.8 at CEX because, as much as I love the little fun I had with it and the gorgeous Pentax colours, I just can't seem to get what I had hoped for. Of course, I am spoiled by my Sony a7 Mark IV and the best IQ and AF, but for the candid shots and grab'n'go Pentax Q10 struggles for what I would like. I have missed quite a few shots because the AF and shutter lag was more than a second behind the moment and the 5-15mm is not particularly fast indoors to keep the shutter speed to prevent motion blur.
Now all of this is not surprising to me and it would be unfair to dish out on Pentax Q10 for it, it was the best it could be back when it came out and should be treated that way. I still appreciate the fun it gave me and the experience I learned from it (I really do miss using Pentax DSLRs).

I was obliged to part ways with my inexpensive UWA 12mm Pergear manual focus lens that I bought only a few weeks ago for my X-T5, due to what turned out to be a fatal mechanical flaw in the lens: the lens mount was poorly machined, and didn't mount precisely in the camera. From the start, I'd heard what sounded like a small rattle which I thought was coming from inside the lens - but it turned out the rattle was the lens itself being loose in the mount. On a handful of photos I had taken with it, when I had actually been pressing the lens into the camera body (without realizing it at the time), photos came out correctly focused and quite sharp. But I was also getting a high percentage of photos that were totally out-of-focus, everything soft, so to speak. When I finally examined the lens & its mount - I realized that there was a millimeter or two of play - which was enough to make the lens unusable. I returned it to the seller who promptly refunded my money; it turns out, he had used the lens so little himself, that he had been unaware of the problem.

Moral of the story: buyer beware if you are buying inexpensive and relatively no-name Asian lenses.
Related Moral of the story: but, nonetheless, I've had excellent luck with a handful of quite inexpensive but extremely high quality manual-focus lenses made by TTArtisan, which has acquired what seems to be a well-deserved reputation for making well-built photographic gear.
Post scriptum: Ironically, my defective Pergear initially 'felt' very well-built, with solid all-metal construction and a very nice focusing ring. And my other Pergear lens, a lovely manual-focus 25mm Mu-4/3 bit of glass that lives semi-permanently on my tiny infrared GX1 and has always worked surprisingly well, has never exhibited any problems whatsoever. Go figure...

Including your gorgeous Fuji 200mm?

Nope. Keeping that, just in case. Will see if a move to VT happens late summer, and what the backyard wildlife pickings are (lots of birds, squirrels, deer, foxes, babcats, sometimes bear and moose...), might want to use a newer Fuji body with that beauty for the critters. The Pentax things will be mostly for landscape/ travel.

Nope. Keeping that, just in case. Will see if a move to VT happens late summer, and what the backyard wildlife pickings are (lots of birds, squirrels, deer, foxes, babcats, sometimes bear and moose...), might want to use a newer Fuji body with that beauty for the critters. The Pentax things will be mostly for landscape/ travel.
VT?
Maybe Vermont?
For those of us ignorant of all the abbreviations for states in the USA ...

That sounds like quite a change.

Yes. Old family stomping grounds. Not much of my family I grew up with are still living. Those that are, are having increasing issues with travel. Including myself. I don't relish the thought of never seeing what little family I have left again. I'd be looking at staying about 2.5 years, the climate is going to be a serious challenge for me health wise. Best to visit for a few years before my body can no longer tolerate the climate. Plus, it'll give me time to do some genealogy research, do some sightseeing, have 3 autumns for photo opportunities, etc...

Not disposed of, but I am mailing with a fellow that put up a wanted add for a GX9. As I have had impure thoughts about offloading that one, along with the G90 for a little while, I sent him a mail on this here thing:
GX9.jpg

If he decides that he`ll take it, I will probably put the proceeds towards a E-M10MkIV.

Would need to add about €250 to cover the difference in price but could sell off the 14-42EZ that comes with the 10 (or probably one of the older ones I have) to smooth it over.

Not disposed of, but I am mailing with a fellow that put up a wanted add for a GX9. As I have had impure thoughts about offloading that one, along with the G90 for a little while, I sent him a mail on this here thing:
View attachment 387347

If he decides that he`ll take it, I will probably put the proceeds towards a E-M10MkIV.

Would need to add about €250 to cover the difference in price but could sell off the 14-42EZ that comes with the 10 (or probably one of the older ones I have) to smooth it over.
Jens, the E-M10 MkII is better than the later models in most ways.
And probably cheaper ...
The 14-42 EZ is a lot better lens than it's given credit for, but there is a fair bit of sample variation. Test before you sell! My second one is better than my original one, which died. And, it's tiny!

Jens, the E-M10 MkII is better than the later models in most ways.
And probably cheaper ...
The 14-42 EZ is a lot better lens than it's given credit for, but there is a fair bit of sample variation. Test before you sell! My second one is better than my original one, which died. And, it's tiny!
Already have the MkII, actually two of them, one with a semi-faulty backscreen needing a bit of a tilt for it to fire up, I am somewhat keen to try my hands on swapping the ribbon cable on it to get a fully functionally spare. It is the one camera that fired up my interest in the Oly line of M43s and I think I have 10-20 bucks in it, as it came bundled with a bit of other stuff that was sold off.

I actually like them a lot, which is why I am somewhat keen on the MkIV, the MkIII is, by all reviews, so incremental that it is not worth the "upgrade".

The MkIV is mostly for the shared sensor with the E-M5MkIII, which brings 20% more pixels to the table, not that I think that bigger is inherently better but I do like what the 5MkIII outputs, and I like the idea of similiar sensor across the board if shooting with two bodies, and for David Thorpes "it once was a teenager, now it is a young adult" summarization of it.

A Look At The Olympus E-M10 Mark IV Micro Four Thirds Camera Body - David Thorpe.

The MKiv is decent for a small body. It did get back the silent shutter vs the iii. I only sold mine because I got an E-P7 which is basically a MKiv without an EVF. Yes the menu is sparse but the various shooting modes give back as well. Do I wish the EM10 series had kept a more robust menu? Sure, but it is still a very capable camera, you just have to adjust the way you shoot it vs the more advanced/expensive bodies.

The MKiv is decent for a small body. It did get back the silent shutter vs the iii. I only sold mine because I got an E-P7 which is basically a MKiv without an EVF. Yes the menu is sparse but the various shooting modes give back as well. Do I wish the EM10 series had kept a more robust menu? Sure, but it is still a very capable camera, you just have to adjust the way you shoot it vs the more advanced/expensive bodies.
Was going back and forth over that one, Bruce, untill it struck me that it wasnt the EP-L7 you were writing about. The actual naming protocol I find a bit odd, but then again even though I have a few Pens of different ilks, I have not given them much time and the naming protocol is not one I have put much thought towards. :hiding:

Having second-guessed myself again, I think I will hold out on the MkIV, the plan, when formulated towards offloading current Lumix bodies was initially to fund a Oly 1MkIII, and I think I am tilting towards that again. The physical differences between the 5MkIII, which I have, and the 10MkIV is negligible and I could probably flesh out some possibilities with the 1MkIII, that neither of the other ones will offer. For one, I again found the joystick on the G9 to be a very good tool, shooting a three day event last week.

Anyhow, a pick-up deal was struck on the GX9, so it goes out the door tomorrow. Must admit to being somewhat ambivalent to that sale. :hmmm:

Next up for the axe is the G90, with the Lumix 12-60 and I also have a plethora of other lenses to be sold. Some straight out the door, no fuss. Others to be mulled over, hard, the latter are the PL zooms. I shot the before mentioned event with the Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 on different bodies and one thing is certain, that pair is not going anywhere, but there are something about the luxury of keeping several complimenting sets of pro grade lenses that is, if not iffy, then somewhat over the top, especially if I start up with a third set of such, as I have with the 12-45 f.4 Pro. I think it makes better sense to keep the f:2.8s and possibly the somewhat lighter, more compact f:4s than hogging it all, and tying up about $3K worth of redundant lenses.

I would really, really like for Oly to drop a 50-200/250 f:4 in pro config at no more than 450 grams, preferably no later than July and make it TC compatible, please. Also, include the hood, you cheap lot. :rofl:

Was going back and forth over that one, Bruce, untill it struck me that it wasnt the EP-L7 you were writing about. The actual naming protocol I find a bit odd, but then again even though I have a few Pens of different ilks, I have not given them much time and the naming protocol is not one I have put much thought towards. :hiding:

Having second-guessed myself again, I think I will hold out on the MkIV, the plan, when formulated towards offloading current Lumix bodies was initially to fund a Oly 1MkIII, and I think I am tilting towards that again. The physical differences between the 5MkIII, which I have, and the 10MkIV is negligible and I could probably flesh out some possibilities with the 1MkIII, that neither of the other ones will offer. For one, I again found the joystick on the G9 to be a very good tool, shooting a three day event last week.

Anyhow, a pick-up deal was struck on the GX9, so it goes out the door tomorrow. Must admit to being somewhat ambivalent to that sale. :hmmm:

Next up for the axe is the G90, with the Lumix 12-60 and I also have a plethora of other lenses to be sold. Some straight out the door, no fuss. Others to be mulled over, hard, the latter are the PL zooms. I shot the before mentioned event with the Lumix 12-35 and 35-100 on different bodies and one thing is certain, that pair is not going anywhere, but there are something about the luxury of keeping several complimenting sets of pro grade lenses that is, if not iffy, then somewhat over the top, especially if I start up with a third set of such, as I have with the 12-45 f.4 Pro. I think it makes better sense to keep the f:2.8s and possibly the somewhat lighter, more compact f:4s than hogging it all, and tying up about $3K worth of redundant lenses.

I would really, really like for Oly to drop a 50-200/250 f:4 in pro config at no more than 450 grams, preferably no later than July and make it TC compatible, please. Also, include the hood, you cheap lot. :rofl:
Yeah, the naming of those 2 bodies is confusing. You are also correct about the size differences between the 5 and 10 series. There is not much of a difference but I do like the tilt screen of the 10 and the E-P7. Then the reality is, at least for me, there is not a huge size jump from the 5 to the EM1 series either. Obviously the biggest jump is the grip. The EM1 MKiii is an excellent camera if you do not pine for the Bird AF.

10mkIV vs 5MkIII.jpg

Camerasize.com wasnt up to export a link today, so a hasty phoneshot of this comparison was all I go. It is less, in some dimension way less than 5% difference in all but weight, where the difference is a whooping 7% or 383 grams vs 414 grams.

The GX9 is at about 455 grams if I recall it correctly, but it is smaller in all the other dimensions, but by some notion, I am not "feeling" it as such. Sizewise, I have just done the numbers game on the 1MkIII vs the G9 and G90, and the 1MkIII is smaller in all numbers, sans weight, where it comes in about halfway between the G9 and the G90.

Since I bought a second hand G90 last year, it has been my goto over the G9 and I find the size of it to be about as big as I fancy carry for daily out and about stuff and it could be a bit smaller without me taking offense, which is why I ended up with a couple of Olys (OG EM5, then a 10MkII and 5 months after that the 5MkIII), to try on for size and the weatherproofing in the 5s, that Lumix denied us in the GX9.

Having gone over the numbers again, I think the plan of a 1MkIII is solid. If the model takes, I could actually see me getting rid of the G9 for a second 1MkIII, but it is a matter of comfort.

Both the G90 and the G9 are very comfortable in my hand, the 5MkIII is tiny and not something I see myself working comfortably if I end up with longer sessions, I get a 1,5 fingers pinch on it and the back right underside corner rests on the base joint of my thumb. The 5MkIII is small even with the ECG-5 grip. Glove size 13 does come with some challenges, not necessarily compatible with the wearers fancy for small cameras.

Using three different bodies while working the event was somewhat less than optimal, even if they are rather similar, identical they are not.

View attachment 388298

Camerasize.com wasnt up to export a link today, so a hasty phoneshot of this comparison was all I go. It is less, in some dimension way less than 5% difference in all but weight, where the difference is a whooping 7% or 383 grams vs 414 grams.

The GX9 is at about 455 grams if I recall it correctly, but it is smaller in all the other dimensions, but by some notion, I am not "feeling" it as such. Sizewise, I have just done the numbers game on the 1MkIII vs the G9 and G90, and the 1MkIII is smaller in all numbers, sans weight, where it comes in about halfway between the G9 and the G90.

Since I bought a second hand G90 last year, it has been my goto over the G9 and I find the size of it to be about as big as I fancy carry for daily out and about stuff and it could be a bit smaller without me taking offense, which is why I ended up with a couple of Olys (OG EM5, then a 10MkII and 5 months after that the 5MkIII), to try on for size and the weatherproofing in the 5s, that Lumix denied us in the GX9.

Having gone over the numbers again, I think the plan of a 1MkIII is solid. If the model takes, I could actually see me getting rid of the G9 for a second 1MkIII, but it is a matter of comfort.

Both the G90 and the G9 are very comfortable in my hand, the 5MkIII is tiny and not something I see myself working comfortably if I end up with longer sessions, I get a 1,5 fingers pinch on it and the back right underside corner rests on the base joint of my thumb. The 5MkIII is small even with the ECG-5 grip. Glove size 13 does come with some challenges, not necessarily compatible with the wearers fancy for small cameras.

Using three different bodies while working the event was somewhat less than optimal, even if they are rather similar, identical they are not.
When I had my Oly E-M5 Mark II I struggled with its length. The camera doesn't have a lot of room for thethumb and I often found myself hitting the EVF side. An extended grip helped to spread my hand forward but the space for the thumb on the right side of the EVF is still not great. The E-M1 has more room being a wider camera and it's barely taller then the E-M5. Thickness is not that different on most camera because most of the lenses are longer then the length of the grip (pancake lenses excluded).

Per size and weight the most feature packed and performance loaded camera must be the Oly E-M5 Mark III and OM-5.

Back