GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

I don’t have any pets, so I’m no help there. For people, the A1 is probably a bit better, but that is anecdotal, I am not disappointed by the OM-1 for people eye AF if that makes sense. In fact the EM1 MK III has very good people eye AF, again IMHO. For birds and animals, I have found that the OM-1 finds the eye just a little bit faster than the A1 but the A1 is stickier. For all of the various AF modes, we are splitting hairs when it comes to these two bodies. The OM-1 wins for me as a total package, size, weight, AF performance, system lens quality and built in features. I do occasionally still use my PL 100-400 and it is very snappy with the OM-1, no issues for me.

In the image below, the OM-1 will quickly find the eye and ignore the foliage. I can confidently raise the camera, point in the direction of the animal, and by the time my eye reaches the EVF, I can do a half press to confirm focus and take the shot. The camera is definitely faster than me and is ready and waiting. But so is the Sony and that is why I always try to make it clear that for me, I enjoy the OM-1 and my other Olympus bodies much more than the Sony’s that I have and have had. Sony images are sharp/crisp with lots of DR but Olympus is very capable and in many ways out paces Sony. Throw in some denoise software and the differences are tiny between the 2. There is no perfect camera but we are getting closer, one just needs to find what is most comfortable for their use.View attachment 389740
From Olympus I'm going by memory of almost 2 years of usage (so it's not just my capability) with E-M1 Mark III and Oly 100-400mm. Since I got the Sony a7 IV my hitrate on both in focus and right moment has increased dramatically, most of my misses are slow reactions of mine, bad AF choices (like AF size or type) or bad exposure settings.
With the E-M1 I was struggling to get the focus and keeping up with the subject especially in low light (forests, foliage, shade, early morning and late evenings).
With E-M1 Human Eye AF was spotty as well, with Oly 12-40mm, Pany 15mm f 1.7, 25mm f 1.7 and 42.5mm f 1.7, getting low hitrate of in focus mostly indoors and low light. I was using Single Small AF point with the Joystick but it wasn't sticking nor was it accurate (with AF priority). It was frustrating to photograph the residence at my workplace when I got 1 to 3 decent but not great images per burst. Using it with my dog was a complete failure of accuracy and with my late girlfriend's 1 year old niece it would fail me 4 out of 5 tries/bursts when she was in motion.
In the winter I tried a few portraits indoors with all our lights on, getting 1/125th at f 1.7 and ISO 4000-6400 the IQ was difficult to edit, it had desaturated colours, plastic skin rendition and the textures would bleed in (like skin, clothes, hair). Denoising helped with the noise but not with the loss of details and colours ... Or maybe I'm to picking about? Dunno.

But I admit that I do miss certain features limited (mostly) to Olympus, Pro Capture because I love shooting birds taking off and landing or hunting or fighting each other, Focus Bracketing and Stacking and the DoF for macro, Live Composite and Bulb, 3 to 10 seconds Hand Held, WR piece of mind, the weight and size of Pany 50-200mm and Oly 100-400mm, the ultra fast 1/2 switching I had for still life HHHR and fast Pro Cap for wildlife, no dust on the sensor and the silver E-M5s and silver lenses.

But all I need to do to get the Olympus or any other brand out of my mind is to go out with my Sony and get my socks blown off by the AF and get home and get my clothes blown off by the latitude of RAW editing posibilities and f 2.8/1.8 FF DoF.

From Olympus I'm going by memory of almost 2 years of usage (so it's not just my capability) with E-M1 Mark III and Oly 100-400mm. Since I got the Sony a7 IV my hitrate on both in focus and right moment has increased dramatically, most of my misses are slow reactions of mine, bad AF choices (like AF size or type) or bad exposure settings.
With the E-M1 I was struggling to get the focus and keeping up with the subject especially in low light (forests, foliage, shade, early morning and late evenings).
With E-M1 Human Eye AF was spotty as well, with Oly 12-40mm, Pany 15mm f 1.7, 25mm f 1.7 and 42.5mm f 1.7, getting low hitrate of in focus mostly indoors and low light. I was using Single Small AF point with the Joystick but it wasn't sticking nor was it accurate (with AF priority). It was frustrating to photograph the residence at my workplace when I got 1 to 3 decent but not great images per burst. Using it with my dog was a complete failure of accuracy and with my late girlfriend's 1 year old niece it would fail me 4 out of 5 tries/bursts when she was in motion.
In the winter I tried a few portraits indoors with all our lights on, getting 1/125th at f 1.7 and ISO 4000-6400 the IQ was difficult to edit, it had desaturated colours, plastic skin rendition and the textures would bleed in (like skin, clothes, hair). Denoising helped with the noise but not with the loss of details and colours ... Or maybe I'm to picking about? Dunno.

But I admit that I do miss certain features limited (mostly) to Olympus, Pro Capture because I love shooting birds taking off and landing or hunting or fighting each other, Focus Bracketing and Stacking and the DoF for macro, Live Composite and Bulb, 3 to 10 seconds Hand Held, WR piece of mind, the weight and size of Pany 50-200mm and Oly 100-400mm, the ultra fast 1/2 switching I had for still life HHHR and fast Pro Cap for wildlife, no dust on the sensor and the silver E-M5s and silver lenses.

But all I need to do to get the Olympus or any other brand out of my mind is to go out with my Sony and get my socks blown off by the AF and get home and get my clothes blown off by the latitude of RAW editing posibilities and f 2.8/1.8 FF DoF.
The EM1 MKIII did get a FW update that improved face and eye detect. High ISO is not a MFT strong point, I try not to go above 3200 and usually stay at 800 and below if at all possible. Yes, no sensor dust is another very nice Olympus feature, I frequently have dust spots on Sony although the A1 is better since the shutter can cover the sensor during lens changes. I haven’t sold my A1, yet, but I am thinking about it and then picking up a used A7RV (I had the A7RIV but if I were to sell the A1, I would rather have the newer AF). Sony has a place for now because I have too many lenses so keeping a Sony body makes sense for some things but the A1 is probably overkill for me since I am happy with the animal AF of the OM-1. I bought the A1 mainly for the bird/animal AF but I was more than happy with the A7RIV image quality. I sold the A7RIV because I could not justify having 2 Sony bodies.

For you, Ovi, I think you should stick with your A7IV for now. It works very well for you and as I also mentioned before, there is no denying Sony image quality and the AF is top notch, you can’t go wrong. But then there is no denying the incredible images I can get out of Olympus either so...there is not a perfect camera for everything but then that is part of the fun.

The EM1 MKIII did get a FW update that improved face and eye detect. High ISO is not a MFT strong point, I try not to go above 3200 and usually stay at 800 and below if at all possible. Yes, no sensor dust is another very nice Olympus feature, I frequently have dust spots on Sony although the A1 is better since the shutter can cover the sensor during lens changes. I haven’t sold my A1, yet, but I am thinking about it and then picking up a used A7RV (I had the A7RIV but if I were to sell the A1, I would rather have the newer AF). Sony has a place for now because I have too many lenses so keeping a Sony body makes sense for some things but the A1 is probably overkill for me since I am happy with the animal AF of the OM-1. I bought the A1 mainly for the bird/animal AF but I was more than happy with the A7RIV image quality. I sold the A7RIV because I could not justify having 2 Sony bodies.

For you, Ovi, I think you should stick with your A7IV for now. It works very well for you and as I also mentioned before, there is no denying Sony image quality and the AF is top notch, you can’t go wrong. But then there is no denying the incredible images I can get out of Olympus either so...there is not a perfect camera for everything but then that is part of the fun.
Maybe in a year's time, the Olympus OM-1 drops in price on the used market under 1.200 £ or maybe Olympus comes out with a large enough update to improve the AF even more (though they have promised the E-M1X dual CPU has the ability to "learn" new types of subject detection and yet they never updated it with new capabilities, they could have at least give you the option to upload prefered types of subjects if it didn't have enough storage to add more).

PXL_20230529_191543998.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After 10 years of going beyond the call of duty and traveling with me through 4 countries and kept my cameras and lenses safe it is time to retired my Crumpler Jimmy Bo 500.
Today the zipper broke completely and I can't close the bag anymore. As much as I love the bag (beyond sentimental value) I will have to replace it. I found the happy medium for me is:
*Small-ish bag that fits my camera with my kit lens and a prime.
*Medium size bag that fits my 2 smallish size f 2.8 zooms and my big Tamy 150-500.
*Large bag which is usually my backpack (though I have been using it most for commuting to work).

I will have to look for a replacement for it, possibly another Crumpler Quick Escape (I already own the 800 model, my medium size bag).

Up at Kenmore Camera earlier this weekend, I traded in the Panasonic 25mm f1.7, Chrome Niko camera bag, and the DJI Action 3 cam that has been sitting in its box. The action cam brought in the most money, I had plans of using it but I have not done so, plus I have a decent Yi 4k cam which doesn't have the bells and whistles but is otherwise not a bad little cam, and does not have much resale value.

I've wanted some reliable film gear but have not identified what I want/need yet. Offering up my Petri Color 35 as well, since further testing has solidified the fact that the meter works well... When you use it right. I think in the past I had not set the ISO dial, which is free floating with very subtle indents, fully in the indent so it was overexposing a bunch.

View attachment 390759
After 10 years of going beyond the call of duty and traveling with me through 4 countries and kept my cameras and lenses safe it is time to retired my Crumpler Jimmy Bo 500.
Today the zipper broke completely and I can't close the bag anymore. As much as I love the bag (beyond sentimental value) I will have to replace it. I found the happy medium for me is:
*Small-ish bag that fits my camera with my kit lens and a prime.
*Medium size bag that fits my 2 smallish size f 2.8 zooms and my big Tamy 150-500.
*Large bag which is usually my backpack (though I have been using it most for commuting to work).

I will have to look for a replacement for it, possibly another Crumpler Quick Escape (I already own the 800 model, my medium size bag).
Crumpler has a lifetime warranty Repairs

Olympus 12 - 40 f/2.8. I held onto it for over a year after buying the 12 - 100 f/4, thinking I would still use it. I haven't used it, so it's gone today. Probably sold it a bit cheap, but seems not many buying camera gear at the moment.
Money better spent on an 8-25 Pro, Rose, if UWA to normal holds any interest for you. Great for cars, among other things.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I will have to check but I don't think I have the sale proof anymore. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I swap it with the Quick Escape version to gain the rainproof cover.
Well,

You don't need your proof of sale, but as it turns out the warranty is not valid in European countries...

That kinda sucks. :oops:

Well, it lasted longer than the Z5 I tried a couple of years back, but the Nikon Z7II is gone.

The camera-to-the-eye shooting experience is better with the Nikon compared to my E-M1.2. But that's less than 1/2 of my shooting. The one thing I really didn't think about was the minimum focus distance. When I'm out shooting almost anything, I tend to shoot something where that has been an issue with the 24-120. Yes, I could just change the lens, but because of the size I knew going in there were only a few that I really considered. The lenses and the system are really great, just not for me anymore.......until the next time. Maybe Nikon will release an APS-C with IBIS and I'll try it again.

Oh well, The Z7II and 24-120 were local buys and still just within the return window. I was able to sell the 28 and 40 locally for what I paid for them. And the Voigtlander was also within the return window, that one cost me return shipping. The Voigtlander is one I will really miss, fun lens, shame the wide m4/3 lens isn't chipped.

Today I took a bit of a gear consolidation plunge, partly encouraged by the fact that I have someone on eBay expressing interest in (and haggling over) the Petri Color 35, and partly because the great price on a pristine Pentad HD FA Limited lens at a local shop kept beckoning to me. So, I'm highly likely to sell the Color 35 shortly. It was an intriguing camera which gave good results, but the ergonomics just never worked for me.

I traded in several things for the Limited lens: exchanged the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 which I had only just bought a week ago from the same shop - despite the fact that I really liked it, and it felt great on the EM5II... my reasoning is that I paid about $100 used for it and I can always get another one down the road at the same price. Also traded in (shock! Or, not really?) the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (original model) which has sat relatively unused since getting my GRIIIx. I love that lens, I always have. But, again, I got almost $100 for it and can pick it up again down the road for not much more. And traded in my Pentax HD FA 35mm f2, a great lens but not very small, and redundant with the 31mm focal length that I traded it for. Also the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 which just came in on my black MX.

So four lenses down, two Pentax and two Panasonic, plus the Color 35 in the wings.

Arrived today:

PXL_20230623_202822824.jpg

Quick release hooks for camera straps, got them of evilBay but the quality seems to be good. I need a better camera strap that is wider and more comfortable and it has to be blue because that improves my performance by over nine thousand.
Normally I don't like camera straps because they are to fiddly and get in the way but the quick release does fix that ... Somewhat, after the camera is off now I am left with dangling strap with no weight to keep it on my shoulder, need to find a fix for that.
I am planning to use the camera strap under one situation only: when I am out on a trip or outing with the residents from work and I can't carry my Sony one camera & lens setup bag. So I will have my camera with Tamy 28-75mm f 2.8 G2 on my shoulder (either on the side but most likely on the back). (These outings are getting more frequent as the summer is going strong.)

PXL_20230623_202610032.jpg

The cheap-ish dumb adapter to be able to mount my Pentax M 50mm f 2. I used the combo a little but I haven't checked the results yet.

Arrived today:

View attachment 395834
Quick release hooks for camera straps, got them of evilBay but the quality seems to be good. I need a better camera strap that is wider and more comfortable and it has to be blue because that improves my performance by over nine thousand.
Normally I don't like camera straps because they are to fiddly and get in the way but the quick release does fix that ... Somewhat, after the camera is off now I am left with dangling strap with no weight to keep it on my shoulder, need to find a fix for that.
I am planning to use the camera strap under one situation only: when I am out on a trip or outing with the residents from work and I can't carry my Sony one camera & lens setup bag. So I will have my camera with Tamy 28-75mm f 2.8 G2 on my shoulder (either on the side but most likely on the back). (These outings are getting more frequent as the summer is going strong.)

View attachment 395835
The cheap-ish dumb adapter to be able to mount my Pentax M 50mm f 2. I used the combo a little but I haven't checked the results yet.
You need to change the way the strap ends go through their buckles to prevent one coming loose; the end should rest between the inner and outer strap sections, pointed toward the camera.

Back