GAS GEAR: Please Share your Latest Disposals Big and Small

The GX9 in my ownership is history, and for the first time since I dipped my toes into the M43 waters in 2016, I am without a current GX in the inventory. I have the two GX1s and that is it.

New add is up, for the G90/Lumix 12-60 combo, so now the wait begins again...

G90-2.jpgG90 shutter.jpg

Finally got around to put up a surplus of kit lenses, that has come along with different bodies over the last couple of years. Its been on the itinerary since last autumn, but hey-ho, procrastination is go and shooting the ad pics are boring.

So ads are up for:
Two Lumix 14-42s MkIs, one silver, one black.
A Pentax DA 18-55
A Olympus 43 40-150 mkI, made in Japan
And an Oly 14-42 MkII in silver. All at sub €100, with the exception of the Oly 14-42, which is at €120.

I do have some 12-32s, as well as a Lumix 14-45 and probably the Lumix 14-140 as surplus, and I wouldn't be surprised if I found additional Oly 14-42s, sneaking about in the gear cupboard. If the Oly 14-42 and any one of the others goes out the door rather quick, there may be a second hand Pentax 70 Ltd on the horizon.

Ah, yes. Vermont. Sorry about that. May or may not happen, still in the decision phase.
Where? I grew up in the Barre / Montpelier area and spent a year in Burlington.
I would really, really like for Oly to drop a 50-200/250 f:4 in pro config at no more than 450 grams, preferably no later than July and make it TC compatible, please. Also, include the hood, you cheap lot. :rofl:
Doesn't need to start at 50, I would pair it with the 12-100 so start anywhere from 75-90 and make it 2.5x to 3x, keep it smaller. (75-225 / 80-240 / 90-225) With TC support.

This is 2/3 disposal, 1/3 acquisition. A short time ago I bought an Olympus OM-2n and a 50mm f1.8 from Blue Moon Camera in Portland. However, I am cursed with the worst luck when it comes to Olympus film bodies. My first refused to open the aperture back up after shooting with the aperture stopped down (a stretched-out elastic cord inside just didn't provide enough tension anymore), my second, and OM-1n, had a pretty ugly viewfinder with adhesive separation. And now, my third (and favorite, sadly) decided the latch for the film door needed to break off during my first roll of film. I caught it, so I don't think my film was compromised much if at all, we'll see once I can develop it.

Thankfully, Blue Moon allowed me to return the camera under their warranty, and exchange the lens, for a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7, which they're shipping out to me today. It was $20 cheaper even. I'm looking forward to being able to use TAv, which is my favorite mode on the K-1, with the A-series lens. Hoping that otherwise it is as much like my Pentax-M version of the lens as possible.

Family I grew up around is mainly from the Tinmouth, Ludlow, Wallingford area.
My mother still lives in Bethel, not too far. I often stop around Quechee and Woodstock on my way up.

As for it being pretty, way back Road and Track Magazine used to do "Top 10" lists. Vermont had 3 of the top 10 roads in the country the first year they put the list out.

My mother still lives in Bethel, not too far. I often stop around Quechee and Woodstock on my way up.

As for it being pretty, way back Road and Track Magazine used to do "Top 10" lists. Vermont had 3 of the top 10 roads in the country the first year they put the list out.

Quechee is pretty cool. Can't remember if I've been to Bethel.

Love the whole area, but my body doesn't tolerate heat or cold mixed with humidity very well. Dry heat and cold are much easier tolerated. Doesn't help that I've had mild frostbite, several cases of heat exhaustion, and one borderline case of heat stroke. Discussing the move with my various docs, those issues may be the determining factor for moving.

As for the Boston 'burbs... fun fact, both sides of my family landed on the continent in the mid 1630s, both at Charlestown, and both settled in East Haddam before migrating into upstate NY and VT.

Camera disposals - have more stuff that needs to go, but hasn't gone yet, so not mentioning it yet.

New add is up, for the G90/Lumix 12-60 combo, so now the wait begins again...

View attachment 388438View attachment 388439
Well, that was quicker than expected, packaging the G90 to night to ship it off to its new owner tomorrow. Now needing to source a nicely used E-M1MkIII or even perhaps strecthing it to an OM1, if one surfaces in the local classifieds for a somewhat reasonable amount...

Well, that was quicker than expected, packaging the G90 to night to ship it off to its new owner tomorrow. Now needing to source a nicely used E-M1MkIII or even perhaps strecthing it to an OM1, if one surfaces in the local classifieds for a somewhat reasonable amount...
Personally, I would stretch to the OM-1 after using both. In fact, my Sony A1 rarely gets used anymore after getting the OM-1. Love him or hate him, Ken Rockwell just put out his OM-1 review. Spoiler alert, he likes it.

Last edited:
Personally, I would stretch to the OM-1 after using both. In fact, my Sony A1 rarely gets used anymore after getting the OM-1. Love him or hare him, Ken Rockwell just put out his OM-1 review. Spoiler alert, he likes it.
I probably would if I could, it is a tall stretch, to the tune of probably very well within reach of hitting a pair of MkIII for the price of one OM1. Possibly a 100 or two under for the IIIs, but sans the spread over time.

Not that I need two as such, but after shooting dually with the G9 and G90, it would be nice to have a matched pair.

Personally, I would stretch to the OM-1 after using both. In fact, my Sony A1 rarely gets used anymore after getting the OM-1. Love him or hate him, Ken Rockwell just put out his OM-1 review. Spoiler alert, he likes it.
In your opinion how well does the OM-1 handle eye AF for pets and people compared to A1? Better, worse, different? Do you have any Panasonic lenses with your OM-1, are they up to the speed of M.Zuikos?

(I'm asking because it's difficult to get concise information of OM-1 for my usage case, unpredictable people and even more unpredictable dogs.)

I probably would if I could, it is a tall stretch, to the tune of probably very well within reach of hitting a pair of MkIII for the price of one OM1. Possibly a 100 or two under for the IIIs, but sans the spread over time.

Not that I need two as such, but after shooting dually with the G9 and G90, it would be nice to have a matched pair.
Here in the UK I'm seeing the OM-1 used for the price of an E-M1X AND a E-M1 Mark III .... For the cost of a brand new OM-1 you can add a E-M5 Mark III on top too. That is efing nuts.

Here in the UK I'm seeing the OM-1 used for the price of an E-M1X AND a E-M1 Mark III .... For the cost of a brand new OM-1 you can add a E-M5 Mark III on top too. That is efing nuts.
Over here, as of late, the E-M1X is generally lower in price than the 1MkIII, and I still havent seen a OM-1 secondhand.

I do like my 5MkIII, though. It would for the time being, stand in as second body for a pair of Olys, for the similar sensor look.

In your opinion how well does the OM-1 handle eye AF for pets and people compared to A1? Better, worse, different? Do you have any Panasonic lenses with your OM-1, are they up to the speed of M.Zuikos?

(I'm asking because it's difficult to get concise information of OM-1 for my usage case, unpredictable people and even more unpredictable dogs.)
I don’t have any pets, so I’m no help there. For people, the A1 is probably a bit better, but that is anecdotal, I am not disappointed by the OM-1 for people eye AF if that makes sense. In fact the EM1 MK III has very good people eye AF, again IMHO. For birds and animals, I have found that the OM-1 finds the eye just a little bit faster than the A1 but the A1 is stickier. For all of the various AF modes, we are splitting hairs when it comes to these two bodies. The OM-1 wins for me as a total package, size, weight, AF performance, system lens quality and built in features. I do occasionally still use my PL 100-400 and it is very snappy with the OM-1, no issues for me.

In the image below, the OM-1 will quickly find the eye and ignore the foliage. I can confidently raise the camera, point in the direction of the animal, and by the time my eye reaches the EVF, I can do a half press to confirm focus and take the shot. The camera is definitely faster than me and is ready and waiting. But so is the Sony and that is why I always try to make it clear that for me, I enjoy the OM-1 and my other Olympus bodies much more than the Sony’s that I have and have had. Sony images are sharp/crisp with lots of DR but Olympus is very capable and in many ways out paces Sony. Throw in some denoise software and the differences are tiny between the 2. There is no perfect camera but we are getting closer, one just needs to find what is most comfortable for their use.
MayOM110067-Edit.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Over here, as of late, the E-M1X is generally lower in price than the 1MkIII, and I still havent seen a OM-1 secondhand.

I do like my 5MkIII, though. It would for the time being, stand in as second body for a pair of Olys, for the similar sensor look.
Trouble is simple but difficult preference for me:
*E-M1X I would love for wildlife and birding, with big and heavy lenses I would prefer the extra grip and balance even at the cost of weight ...but I would find it overkill (and heavy) for pet and people portrait photography.

*OM-1/E-M1 III is perfect size for long term and all day work photography, balances well with most lenses outside of the BiG wildlife ones.

*OM-5/E-M5 III is ideal for travel and street photography or second body, but I would love the HHHR of OM-5 for travel like architecture, indoor/low light, landscape ... I just wish they just add the damn OM-1 features in as well not just pass on last year's features, AI AF Detection and the new menu system. For a 2 body system having 2 different layouts is frustrating.

Anywho, I know I'm preaching to the choice ... Money (aka marketing) always speaks the loudest ... Got to make that $$$.

Back