Get involved in the new 5 Day Challenge!

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
A committee has taken on the idea of organising some form of photo challenge for members. There has been a lot of behind the scenes discussion between the Committee (of stillshunter, Streetshooter and bilzmale) together with Mods and Admin (BBW, olli and deirdre). In the early stages we shall use the "Other Genres" sub-forum of "Image Threads" to post each challenge.

The time frame of 5 days may seem short - that's why we're calling it a challenge! Our purpose is to inspire each other to take and make pictures! If you are unable to photograph during these 5 days, images from your back catalogue are also welcome. Images should be shot using a "serious compact".
Happy shooting!

The 5 Day Challenge (5DC).

Each challenge will open on Monday at 8am New York time (1pm London, 11pm Sydney).
Each member may submit only one photograph per 5DC.
Entries must be your own work, taken on a serious compact and fit the Theme selected.
Entries do not have to be taken during the Challenge although that is encouraged.
The thread will close on Friday at 8pm New York time (1am Saturday London, 11am Sydney).
Voting via a Poll will be possible from Saturday 8am New York time and close on Sunday at 8am.**
The winner of the 5DC will select the Theme for the next Challenge.
A Committee member will then start the new Thread ready for Monday.

Our first challenge can be found here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f24/inaugural-5-day-challenge-5dc-28th-march-1st-april-1699/

**A note to let everyone know that since we were able to set things up earlier than expected, the voting via this Poll will be possible from now, approximately 8pm New York time and will close on Sunday at 8am, New York time.

One entry per person, pdh. I'll make that clearer in the first post here. It is noted that it is "an entry" if you follow the hyperlink supplied, however I appreciate your asking. Now we should be all set.(y)

Many thanks to the organisers - it'll get me out shooting and focused on a topic area which should help me develop :) can't wait to take part :)

this is forcing me out of my man-cave...but Im in...and where do we put these "unusual shapes" ?
The photos of course. Thanks all
pete

I have faith in your eyes, James. Don't concentrate on this, however. It's kind of like when you have a word on the tip of your tongue and the harder you try to remember it...the more difficult it becomes. Once you stop trying, it comes to you - even if it's the next day.:flowers_2:

I've been on the lookout but I can't find unusual shapes.

:laugh1: Good one James. Maybe you just have yet to hit that phase in life. I need not look too far to find what time, and possibly beer and fine food, has done to my body...there's some unusual shapes developed, and developing, there!!!! Just a few more years and I fear my feet will become an unusual and rare sight......:redface:

wow some great photos here already, I'm actually having difficulty with this topic, I've taken a few photos the past few days, so I guess I'll pick my fav before the challenge ends :)

I believe it will be very fun to watch everyones entry and to see and
feel their ideas for each subject. I am really not interested in a winner or a voting process. Ive seen way too many hurt feelings from people not being
chosen or overlooked in some way. This is a very subjective and personal thing were all involved in (photography),
and for me each submission is a winner on its on merit.

I know, this sounds like an upset Dad whose son is not playing school ball because he maybe is not good enough.

Rememer this, I am an old man who cares not for the trophies and badges of this world, but loves the journey and comraderie of mankind..... "wow, did I just say that".
haha..... just my feelings folks... I love this laid back, easiy going site here and just wanted to express myself. Thanksk, Pete

I hear you, Pete and am really with you about awards and votes in general. This 5DC is all in the efforts of encouraging us all to make pictures and to see all the things you've mentioned in your post about as to how we each perceive the challenges and interpret the world we see with our cameras. The method to our madness of "voting" is really to create a means to an end - to set up the next challenge. If we all decide we need to modify the rules of the road, it's easy enough for us to do that. Flexibility is key.:drinks:

I'm very glad you brought up your concerns and observations, Pete and hope that as we travel along that others will, as well. We're all here for each other, otherwise we might as well just post our photographs in our bathrooms. Speaking of which, the initial title was to be the 5 Day WC...but it was thought that the abbreviation for "water closet" might not meet with everyone's approval.;)

Is there any reason why this is not a 7-day challenge, or that the 5-days could start on a Friday? I don't know about others, but between work and kids, the Weekends tend to be more popular for Photography.

Monday through Friday challenge: pictures from my back yard.

Brian, right now for this week time it has to do with timing and time zones, but I'm sure that we can amend our time frames a bit. We wanted to get things going and felt that we needed to get things off the mark this time, so don't worry, we are flexible.

I'm thrilled that so many people are interested. We're going to have to figure a couple of things as we go forward and this will be one of them. I am so glad that you posted, Brian - much appreciated!

Back