Fuji Getting the X-T1 flash to work

JE406

Name
Jon Erdmann
Okay I just can't figure out why Fuji would put this out, only to make it very difficult to get a simple flash unit to work. In the menu I drop into Menu 4 and have yet to be able to highlight the Flash Mode forever having this display on the back of my LCD screen. I do realize that this little flash will not emit much for good quality flash and more red eye than I want, but also I'm wanting to use my Yongnuo YN560II speedlite at some point because it's awesome.

There are times that using the X-T1 needs a bit more boost indoors than to use just the ambient light that is available for the best photography.

Back%20of%20X-T1_zpst3y39c26.jpg

You can't use a flash in Sound & Flash Off mode, because "Flash Off" means that the flash is off. Better turn Sound & Flash On to use the flash.

Okay I just can't figure out why Fuji would put this out, only to make it very difficult to get a simple flash unit to work. In the menu I drop into Menu 4 and have yet to be able to highlight the Flash Mode forever having this display on the back of my LCD screen. I do realize that this little flash will not emit much for good quality flash and more red eye than I want, but also I'm wanting to use my Yongnuo YN560II speedlite at some point because it's awesome.

There are times that using the X-T1 needs a bit more boost indoors than to use just the ambient light that is available for the best photography.

Back%20of%20X-T1_zpst3y39c26.jpg

Hello JE406. Also, you need to use only the Mechanical Shutter with flash, as I believe that the Electronic Shutter (or ES+MS combo) disables the hot shoe. Another tip: If you use standard AA batteries in your flash (i.e., Nissin i40), the voltage supplied to the flash unit won't be strong enough for the 1/180 sec. Flash Synchronization shutter speed on the XT-1. (In my case, I was getting some black unexposed area towards the bottom of the frame. When I switched to a more powerful battery (Varta High-Energy 1.5 volt AA), the issue was resolved. Enjoy the fantastic XT-1 and the Fuji X-System!! It's truly awesome!

Luckily, the ES wasn't enabled here, but it's obvious from the screenshot that Sound & Flash Off is On, so no flash (and sound).

Stevelink - Okay got the Flash mode to highlight now, and it was the contact points preventing the little flash from firing... problems solved thank you all very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevelink - Okay got the Flash mode to highlight now, and it was the contact points preventing the little flash from firing... problems solved thank you all very much.

Be careful with Canon-compatible TTL flash equipment on the X-Pro2. The contacts look identical, but the protocols aren't. The X-Pro2 uses a contact that previous models don't, and this contact often interferes with the electronic circuits of the camera, when a Canon-compatible TTL flash or transmitter is used, resulting in overheating warnings. So either tape-off any contacts other than the central trigger or install an adapter that only uses the central trigger contact.

What transmitter will work on X-T1 to control flashes off camera? I have canon 600 flashes. I know i can use a PW, but is the something i can change power or mode of flash remotely?

Or the newer Yongnuo flashes and the transmit unit, which can change output and zoom remotely. I have one, and two of the 460 IV flashes, and they've worked great.

Back