Getty Images and a few of my photos

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
A friend of mine wrote me an email to tell me they saw "my work" (they are poor to mediocre photos .....not work) being represented at Getty Images and wanted to know if I had sold any. I was frankly quite surprised because I was not aware of granting Getty images permission to "represent" or sell my images. Is there some sort of automatic enrollment enabled as a default with flickr account users? It's the only thing I can think of.

I wonder if they have my contact info, if by some weird freakish accident some poor fool wants to license one of these photos. And I wonder what "my cut" is. Anyone know more about this?

Luke Lavin Pictures | Getty Images

Can't help but you have a few nice images there Luke - The Winter Marina I like very much & can see it selling

I have a few of my photos licensed to Getty on Flickr. As far as I knew I haven't sold anything but I've been inundated with American tax return bits of paper and I seem to have the grand sum of $48 ...... although I'm not sure if this is the tax or a payment.... I really can't be bothered to find out! I have to confess I just don't understand it either!!

A few pictures of me on Flickr were asked by Getty to offer them. But this needed an account and an agreement. Now Getty Images and Flickr aren't working together any more and are separated (and I had closed my account on Getty Images completely).
There is still a Getty group on Flickr if I remember correctly. But I think they would (should) never use a picture under standard license of Flickr. Perhaps another person had stolen the pics from Flickr and presented them to Getty?

Edit: I saw on your link to Getty that the pics are all licensed on your name. So my last question was answered.
Normally all Flickr pictures which are offered by Getty Images are tagged. For a management I needed an access as contributer (https://contribute.gettyimages.com/producer)

Last edited:
Flickr has several of mine available for some stock agency - I don't know if it's Getty or not. But they didn't just do it - they asked me and I had to agree. I think I've made about $50 on them total (which pays for two years of Flickr I guess) and they haven't asked for anything new since the original batch, which was a while ago.

-Ray

I thought they had to contact you if they wanted one of your images ?

Reading Christilou's response jarred some old memories of maybe having granted them permission, figuring I'm not marketing my images anyway.....if they can sell some, they're entitled to it. It was just kind of jarring hearing about out of the blue and then seeing photo of my dogs with a Getty Images watermark over them.

Bill, I will run them through the Tineye and Pixsy image search and see if anything turns up.

Back