Micro 4/3 GH6 Special offer from B&H

Darmok N Jalad

There are FOUR lights!
So the other day B&H sent me a "private offer" email with a promo code that knocks $400 off the GH6. I've never gotten such an email before from them either.

Pretty nice deal, but that's not a camera I'm remotely interested in. Kinda makes me wonder if there's a push to sell more of them?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Most folks are sitting on (way) too many, they’re not really moving all that well, and the GH5 models are about to see some big price cuts in the coming months.
It just doesn’t seem like a photographer’s camera. Too big and bulky for M43. The G9 already pushes that limit, but it at least is photography-centric and handles well. Not saying the GH6 doesn’t, but it is not what I’d care for. The G9 isn’t seeing many discounts, which suggests it might still be doing pretty well.

I've heard it's a way to get around "minimum advertised price" agreements, since those only cover advertising to the public.

It just doesn’t seem like a photographer’s camera. Too big and bulky for M43. The G9 already pushes that limit, but it at least is photography-centric and handles well. Not saying the GH6 doesn’t, but it is not what I’d care for. The G9 isn’t seeing many discounts, which suggests it might still be doing pretty well.
I'm not fond of the bulk, but I do think the G9 has the best handling and controls ergonomics of any camera I've used.

The G9 was $1700 on release, and is now down to $1000. In that sense, it's discounted already, and perhaps that's why you're not seeing further discounts. I've heard many people describe the G9, at its current price point, as one of the best value for dollar options right now, and I'm inclined to agree. I already have one. Getting another is probably redundant. If I ever end up doing a paid shoot - unlikely - where I need a second body, I'd probably rent a GH6.

I'd really like a G9 Mk II, or whatever they want to call it, with the new sensor. I suspect that's not coming anytime soon, unfortunately, to avoid devaluing the perception of the GH6. Not to mention, inflation adjusted, it's probably going to launch at $2000, or even $2200.

I'm also considering getting a smaller and less intimidating second body for street purposes. Not a GX9. I already have one of those, and the ergonomics are a bit finicky, and there's a slight shutter release press to shutter actuation delay. If the E-M5 Mk III had a joystick, that would have been great. I never liked the 4-way pad for adjusting focus point.

I'm not fond of the bulk, but I do think the G9 has the best handling and controls ergonomics of any camera I've used.

The G9 was $1700 on release, and is now down to $1000. In that sense, it's discounted already, and perhaps that's why you're not seeing further discounts. I've heard many people describe the G9, at its current price point, as one of the best value for dollar options right now, and I'm inclined to agree. I already have one. Getting another is probably redundant. If I ever end up doing a paid shoot - unlikely - where I need a second body, I'd probably rent a GH6.

I'd really like a G9 Mk II, or whatever they want to call it, with the new sensor. I suspect that's not coming anytime soon, unfortunately, to avoid devaluing the perception of the GH6. Not to mention, inflation adjusted, it's probably going to launch at $2000, or even $2200.

I'm also considering getting a smaller and less intimidating second body for street purposes. Not a GX9. I already have one of those, and the ergonomics are a bit finicky, and there's a slight shutter release press to shutter actuation delay. If the E-M5 Mk III had a joystick, that would have been great. I never liked the 4-way pad for adjusting focus point.
You can use the touchscreen, I believe. But that’s not necessarily any easier or more convenient. Otherwise the E-M5.3 is a pretty comfortable camera considering its small size. My hands are pretty big and I’m able to wield it okay.

Back