Ghost Town Blues Band

I like #2, but for me, I like tight. On #2, I would have filled the frame with just the guitar and the head or sometime close to that. It is so much easier to capture drama at night with theatre/spot lighting than in daytime.

Gary

I agree with Gary. Another possible shot: If you could have been in a spot to shoot wide open with a tele and gotten the guitarist sharp frame left, with the keyboardist in the bokeh frame right, that would have been epic.

I think they could use a little more color/contrast or punch of some kind? If you are looking for a portrait type of light color that's okay, but I think a little selective color enhancement might work for them as well? You could also boost the overall color saturation some, then go back with a brush and tone down the skin tones so they were still natural. Just some ideas off the cuff.

#2 is where the action is at though in these shots and I like that one.

Hi John, thanks for your thoughts. I really should start to think about a tele if I'm to keep this camera. I'm about 6 months with this camera and remain uncomfortable both with the camera and my processing on the files. The x is providing quite a challenge for me.

I went back and processed one out of the same batch and popped it a bit more.

p1067981528-5.jpg

Hi John, thanks for your thoughts. I really should start to think about a tele if I'm to keep this camera. I'm about 6 months with this camera and remain uncomfortable both with the camera and my processing on the files. The x is providing quite a challenge for me.

In some respects, the X-Trans does demand a certain learning curve and attention to detail unless you "pre-process" and use JPG exclusively. I can do that in many situations, but not all -- which is why I finally worked on getting my RAW game down with these cameras. I feel that I get the best results I've gotten with any camera I've owned including the D7000 -- which was my benchmark. The E-M5 was close, but the X's exceed by a wide margin to my eye.

But again -- the question comes down to is it worth it to you? If the cameras make you that uncomfortable in some area it might be influencing your shooting negatively and maybe you should consider a camera that works with you more, rather than making you work with IT. If that makes sense? It's very individualistic. For me the X's seem "right" -- but for sure some absolutely do not like them... and that's okay. It's why there are many bartenders, churches, therapists, doctors, etc. One size, one "personality" does not fit all.

Hey Brent, the best thing to do is shoot. Shoot all the time, shoot everyday. The primary difference between the skill level of a pro and a hobbyist is time behind the viewfinder. Rule No. 1 - fill the frame. The lens you use doesn't matter, what does matter is to fill the frame. I strongly recommend not to get a new lens until you're comfortable shooting the one you have.

Gary

That is encouraging and good advice. The challenge of course, is developing an eye for filling the frame.;-) This thread is really helpful in that respect. Your photos as well. They are nothing short of spectacular and encourages me to try type of photography once. OK, enough compliments. ;-)

Brent, thanks for your photos and I fully understand what you mean. I've shot around 5000 photos now with the x-pro1 and feel comfortable with the handling and post-processing but the BUT remains. Still not sure why. It just might be my skill-level. ;-)

Hey Brent, the best thing to do is shoot. Shoot all the time, shoot everyday. The primary difference between the skill level of a pro and a hobbyist is time behind the viewfinder. Rule No. 1 - fill the frame. The lens you use doesn't matter, what does matter is to fill the frame. I strongly recommend not to get a new lens until you're comfortable shooting the one you have.

Gary

Back