Fuji Give me some ammunition please !

EDZ663

I own a DSLR NIKON D90 and a handful of lenses. Now I want to buy a XE1 and sell my NIKON gear.

There only is one BIG problem : To convince my wife to make the change and spend the bucks.

What argument do I have ?

Well, the obvious: The Fuji is smaller, much more elegant and stylish with that killer retro charm, much (!) lighter, specially when carrying several lenses, less obstrusive while shooting, looking less technical and ugly, slighly better image quality and specially better skin tones for portraits.

Don't talk about the price too much, and the less reactive autofocus.

And don't forget this will be the last system change for a very long time, because this time, this is it (sometimes useful lies are ok).

Good luck
Bernie

I'm laughing at the advice but there's some truth to all of it. Being a wife, but also being the camera buyer it's hard for me to know what to say... How about the fact that you'll have so much more energy when you're out together? Instead of lugging that big Nikon and all those hefty lenses that are always knocking around and getting in the way - you'll be free to enjoy yourself with her while still being able to shoot some great photos!:jedi: Plus you'll look even better to her!(y)

I don't live my life like this, but I have heard it said that is easier to apologize than it is to ask permission. :daz:

Hahaha!!! This will now be my official mantra!

That's a bit of a tough one, I guess you could always argue that there are more lenses available for the D90 as opposed to the XE-1 that only has 5 lenses available to it at the moment, XF lenses also tend to be cheaper.

Another way would be arguing the fact that "I'm sorry" is one of the hardest words to say and you are just practicing it, or.. keep it short and simple with "oops" :p

I tell my wife that:

- it's cheaper than (put other typical middle aged person expensive past time here that I do not engage in, e.g. golf) or a "typical" mid-life crisis purchase, e.g. sports car or motorcycle--this of course, assumes, you are middle-aged :)
- I always buy second hand (which I do) at much lower prices than brand new
- Then, I make a big to do about taking photos of my current kit and posting ads to get them sold to help defray the cost. Most times, I can sell my old kit, other times I don't (bec. I guess I don't try hard enough), but at least I cover part of the cost of the new gear, and she sees I am trying.....

If it makes you happy and it's not hurting anyone then buy what you want. You are a long time dead.

That's what my husband tells me when I ask for another camera that I don't need. It's what I tell him. Needless to say we have a lot of junk and passing fads in our house but at least we have a smile on our faces!

I own a DSLR NIKON D90 and a handful of lenses. Now I want to buy a XE1 and sell my NIKON gear.

There only is one BIG problem : To convince my wife to make the change and spend the bucks.

If you are selling one to pay for the other, saying goodbye to the D90 and lenses, what kinda of cash are you actually going to have to pull out of pocket? If I sold my Canon XSi and lenses I could get an XE1 and at least one lens. Just saying one lens because I haven't gone to add it all up.. As for the other lenses, pick your favorite first and then let her toss you a lens for your birthday or another holiday. It will allow her to give you something you really want as opposed to buying something unnecessary for the sake of said holiday when you already have all you want. As 'the wife", I'm not seeing a problem as long as it doesn't put you into debt. If it does put you into debt, IMHO, you got no business doing it. But selling one for the other seems fair. Trickery is... nonsense.

Very true. I can feel my "pocketbook" starting to pry itself open.:drinks:

A book is nothing if it does not open, right? :D

There are 3 items on my Amazon cart sitting there for some time now - I just need to make a big push and hit that Place Order button. I love/hate/love that blasted Amazon Store Card. :daz:

Back