Given a chance to start with a clean slate...

What'd you do?

• My kit was perfect; I'd rebuy everything as it was

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Rebuy some of the kit and try new lenses/bodies

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Rebuy the whole kit -- within familiar brands

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Rebuy the whole kit -- totally new brands

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
The X70 doesn’t have good resale and it’s close to being pocketable. I have one and my decision to keep it was based on those two points.
They dropped a bit before the XF10 came out. But since the XT10 wasn't an X70 II they seem to have settled down a bit. I had sold my original X70 (that I bought used), missed it so I got another. I ended up getting my second on eBay with one of the 20% codes, so I might loose money when you figure the $$ I spent on the batteries, Gariz grip, and hood.

As much as would love to have a Leica, the idea of going back to manual focus is too daunting, and for my applications, too slow. I already moved away from DSLR partly because the constant challenge of having to re-calibrate bodies and lenses combos every time I upgraded one or the other was eating into what little leisure time I had. So, an auto-focus solution - well, it would have to be small, but deliver a good compromise on IQ and high ISO without being bulky. And it would have to be a well-established ecosystem of lenses and bodies. My current system still checks those boxes - Fuji. What Fuji doesn't do as well as my old Nikons is flash. One compromise of moving to mirrorless is the loss of functionality on any Digital-compatible flash of the IR illuminator, which works at longer ranges, is less obtrusive and more accurate than any white-light AF illuminator. So something like the Fuji, but with flash like Nikon. The search continues...

As much as would love to have a Leica, the idea of going back to manual focus is too daunting, and for my applications, too slow.
I learned to be a two-body shooter earlier this year. If I started afresh with Leica M in mind, I'd definitely pair it with a small compact autofocus camera. Currently either Leica Q (which I shoot and love) or perhaps a Ricoh GR for weight savings. Besides autofocus, this second body lets me shoot at closer focusing distances than the M.

Would you rebuy your current cameras or would you try something new?

Maybe this is a stupid question to most of you --

This is actually a great question.

I'm at a point where the X-Pro2 with 16-55 2.8 is perfect for nearly everything I shoot and how I shoot. The one thing I will be re buying is the 50-140 2.8. I don't love the size/weight of it for a mirrorless lens. But for the times I would use it, the 50-140 does amazingly well for me. So, sometime soon I will re acquire one.

There will always be something I would like to try. I will get a X-Pro3 when that camera becomes a reality. But I am very well settled into my kit.

Back