Glade Creek

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
After my adventures at Laurel Creek, I drove across the county into Raleigh County to the Glade Creek Campground. The New River Gorge is a significant presence in several southern WV counties, and draws a lot of outdoor $$$ into the area. Glade Creek is one of the most popular spots in the Gorge, but due to the freezing rain and dropping temps, I had the whole recreation area to myself. I did see a truck with several kayaks driving in as I was leaving. Don't know whether they were headed to the New, or to run Glade Creek (and people say I'm nuts!). Starting where Glade Creek empties into the New, I followed it upstream to the first large-ish waterfall, a distance of about 2 miles one way. The Glade Creek Trail is an old abandoned Narrow Gauge corridor that stretches over 7 miles one way. The scenery is breathtaking, and I did the entire 15+ mile out-and-back hike last summer. X-E1 and Rokkor 24mm/2.8 again.

PS: Much of the rocks and twigs down there were covered in rime ice, too. I still managed to do the trek without taking a tumble.

DSCF7069-1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCF7071-1.jpg

DSCF7072-1.jpg

DSCF7073-1.jpg

DSCF7074-1.jpg

DSCF7075-1.jpg

DSCF7082-1.jpg

DSCF7080-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few from my bike ride along the Glade Creek Trail today. Unlike my last journey there, I had plenty of company on this cold but gorgeous February day. I encountered two other cyclists plus 10 hikers. Hard to believe people actually kayak this creek. X-T1 + Tokina 17mm/3.5

DSCF7544-1.JPG

DSCF7575-1.JPG

DSCF7564-1.JPG

DSCF7545-1.JPG

DSCF7582-1.JPG

Back