Ricoh God Help Me - I Now Own A Ricoh GR II

I'm usually really big on needing a viewfinder. I decided to give the Ricoh a whirl despite it not having one. If I like it enough to keep it, I'll probably find a 28mm optical to throw on the hotshoe.

When I got into m4/3 I started with an E-PM1 and made my way to the E-M10, E-M5, & E-M1. But to my surprise I've found I really prefer the Rangefinder style bodies and actually rarely use the EVF. I'm extremely right eye dominate really like seeing the whole scene to frame the shot. But the stuff I shoot for fun with m4/3 and the X70 is completely different than my event work where a viewfinder is pretty much a requirement.

Last edited:
I'm usually really big on needing a viewfinder. I decided to give the Ricoh a whirl despite it not having one. If I like it enough to keep it, I'll probably find a 28mm optical to throw on the hotshoe.
I'm actually in the same boat - I sometimes even try to raise my E-PL7 to the eye, which is extremely embarassing and irritating when it happens and usually costs me the shot. But that never happens with the GR (it may have in the past, but not any more). On the subject of optical viewfinders, there's just one caveat: If you wear glasses like I do (and I think that's the case), then don't choose the Ricoh GV-2. It may be tiny, and it's well made and all, but the eye relief is really short, so it's harder to see through and frame with than most of the ancient viewfinders on my vintage film cameras from the early 20th century. Get either the GV-1 - which is unfortunately huge - or some other make/brand. If you want to spoil yourself, get a Zeiss - they're gorgeous and a joy to use, but really expensive. Voigtländer finders are also easy to recommend. I own a huge triple-frame (21mm-24mm-28mm) Leica finder that's very good as well, but it's bigger than most accessory EVFs and off-axis ... no go. I have stopped using a viewfinder - the screen is so good that I rarely miss it.

M.

2 shots from today. I had my Nikon DSLR with a longer lens on, plucked this little gem out of my pocket and used it to pick out some shots that suited its strengths.

Banging on the typewriter...
02-08-2018_GRII_ohc_R0000040.jpg

About a 50% crop, JPG Effect Cross Process
1/40, f/2.8, ISO 200

From wars past....gas mask
02-08-2018_GRII_ohc_R0000046.jpg

JPG Cross Process Effect
1/40, f/2.8, ISO 250

Just so you know, the Olympus VF-1 optical finder that came with the PEN E-P1, while it has bright framelines for 35mm, is very close to 28mm if you take the full field of view of the finder into account. I have one that I've had for years, I just ordered a GR II and I'm eager to see if I can make it work. The VF-1 can probably be found pretty cheaply.

I used the Oly VF-1 on RX1 until I bought an evf. The vf1 is for 17mm lens eqiuvalent of 34mm with 4:3 view. The gr/rx1 has 3:2 sensor, so you will loose some of the view with GR's 28mm. Other alternate might be Sigma dp1 optical vf which is for 28mm.

Just so you know, the Olympus VF-1 optical finder that came with the PEN E-P1, while it has bright framelines for 35mm, is very close to 28mm if you take the full field of view of the finder into account. I have one that I've had for years, I just ordered a GR II and I'm eager to see if I can make it work. The VF-1 can probably be found pretty cheaply.

That must be where multi aspect sensors like some of Panasonic's come in - on a native 4:3 sensor it seems that if you set the capture to 3:2 (if not multi aspect) your frame would actually capture less of the sides at a given focal length?

I'll try it out when I get my GR and see how great the discrepancy is. Like I mentioned, the total field of view is significantly more than the ~34mm frame lines inside it. For a poor man such as myself, it may serve well enough.

Last edited:
Back