Lighting Godox ad200/Flashpoint Evolv 200 pro vs standard

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
I have changed my lighting from a pair of Godox AD600 lights to a mix of four Godox/Flashpoint 200's. Two standard and two pro models. I wanted to write a bit, or get long winded, about the 200s, and the differences between the standard and pro models.

I want to say now, that this is obviously focused on the 200 models. What I like about them, and why I switched. But the AD600s are very well built, very powerful, amazing lights. You can't go wrong with these lights, even at the very base level. Even on all day shoots I've never moved the battery meter more than one bar down. There have been times I have gone a month or longer without charging the batteries and still been able to do a full shoot.

I switched to the 200 models for a few reasons. Portability being one of the top factors as I shoot at different locations regularly. I also wanted a four light set up to start doing more complex lighting, and to start working with colored gels while still having the capability of two primary lights. This will sound counter intuitive, but there are times when I need less power. This is much easier to do with a 200w light than a 600w light. On the B side of that, if I need more power, there is a dual head mount which allows running a pair of 200s to make a 400w light. With four 200s, I can double up two and still have a three light set up when needed. This leads into the biggest reason I wanted to make the switch. Versatility. Godox has done so much with the 200 line. There are four different heads you can mount on the 200. It comes with two, the fresnel head, and a bare bulb head. This alone is big, as it not only gives you two options out of the box. It also means you have a backup head if one should fail on a shoot. Aside from the ever growing line of accessories from Godox/Flashpoint. The fresnel head allows for use of other popular speedlite oriented modifiers like Magmod.

Another big thing for me vs the AD600 is light placement. The much smaller, less intrusive 200s allow for light placement which is not possible with the 600s. Combined with the assortment of accessories like grids and barn doors. As well as the 1/256 power. Lighting and light placement can really fine tuned. The majority of my testing shots were done using only the Godox accessories and working with light placement. I only put on the big modifiers to test the new pro mount(more on that below), and light output from the larger modifiers with a less powerful light.

Another great thing Godox has done with the barn doors, and all of the round head accessories, is make them magnetic mount. This allows for ease of use, and stacking of modifiers.

The biggest changes from the standard 200 are
  • Stable Color Mode – 5600°±100°K Across Power Range
  • 9 Stop Power Range – 1/256 – 1/1, in 1/10th Stop Increments
  • Revised, Slightly Recessed Interface, With Added Buttons
  • Revised ON / OFF Switch
  • USB Port Updated to USB-C
  • Improved No-Twist Stand Mounting Points & Metal Umbrella Swivel
These are not huge improvements, but they are useful improvements. The price difference of only $50 reflects this. If you are buying new, these improvements are worth the $50. In my opinion, the improvements are not worth upgrading from a perfectly functional AD200. Unless the upgrades would have a big impact on your work.

For me the new power range with 1/256 with 1/10th stop increments is huge. It allows for really dialing in each light perfectly in a multi light set up. Although to take full advantage of it, one of the newer version 2 light triggers is required. Or, using the second big improvement for me, the improved rear interface. When I am in a smaller space, it is easier to change settings directly on the light instead of the remote trigger.

Next, the stable color mode. While I like having this feature due to having some noticeable color shifts in the past. I saw no difference in color consistency between the standard and pro models in testing yesterday. All shots looked the same and were color accurate. Until further testing in different environments is done. I won't know if this is a major improvement. But I'll take even small improvements.

The improved included mount does mount to the light much better and more securely than the standard mount. The no click tilt is really nice and easy to use. But, it can't hold in place with a 51" umbrella. Mine kept falling forward. So I switched to the mount adapter which I use for bowens mount modifiers, which is much beefier. Also, the mount which comes with the standard light is geared(clicks), and it will hold in place with a 51" umbrella. But the standard mount has inferior mounting to the light. If Godox would merge the two it would be perfect.

Powering larger modifiers, I used the bare bulb head. I used a 51" and 41" deep umbrella with diffuser. Then a 10x24 strip box. Using the umbrellas. The power level obviously had to be turned up, double that of 600s, to get the right light output. The important thing is that was able to provide a nice soft light from the larger modifiers. With plenty of battery level left. I shot about 60 frames, not moving the battery meter from full on any of the lights, pro or standard.

If you are in the Godox/Flashpoint system working with speedlites. Either of the 200 options are a perfect upgrade as all of the lights in this system work with the same trigger. With the included fresnel head, and available round head, all of the accessories you already have will be interchangeable. The round head accessories are the same for the Godox V1 speedlights and the round head attachment on the 200.

200 w/standard reflector and grid camera right, 200 subject left with barndoors/grid for hair light
DSCF9369.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

41" deep umbrella diffused subject left and above, 51" deep umbrella diffused behind camera for fill
DSCF9394-Edit.jpg
DSCF9398-Edit.jpg

51" deep umbrella diffused subject left
DSCF9407.jpg

Well written Bobby and a great strategy.

The system is pretty amazing indeed.

The 600 I just ordered came with a free R2SPT manual receiver/transceiver. I thought it useless until I found an old manual flash I could use it on. Now I'll have the 600, 200, R2li-on and the cheapie.

Also wanted to note the $7 S-R1 roundhead adapter for the normal shaped speed lights. I'm finding I use the roundhead magnets on it much more than the 200 which has been lately all bare bulb.

And a shout out to our fearless, loyal and friendly subjects - our kids.

@mnhoj I wouldn’t be anywhere near where I am with lighting if I didn’t have the kiddos to practice on. They’re gonna hate me over the next few weeks while I work on new light recipes.

Back