Micro 4/3 Going cold on the E-M5 - looking at a G3.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
OK I've read and looked at plenty of items for the E-M5 and have it on pre-order with lens. With shipping and possibly tax it will cost $1500 in my hands.

I have been having buyer remorse regularly about this latest outbreak of GAS and my wife is still not warming to the amount of outlay. Can't blame her as it would be the fourth camera in 10 months.

So I got to thinking and read up on the G3. It is well reviewed and was 'the pick' of M43 cameras on release. I know the G5 is coming but if I get a G3 and sell the GH1 my outlay will be less than $250. So I'm asking G3 owners for their reactions to this upgrade although other comments are welcome too.

The G3 is obviously the value proposition in m43 right now. If you like it. I tried one very briefly over the holidays and didn't, but its mostly down to personal preferences/taste. I didn't like the GH2 either, so it may be a thing with Pany. I had a GF1 that I really liked but in those days it made a lot of sense to have one Oly (which I did - an EP2) and one Pany because they had such VERY different strengths and weaknesses. Nowdays the two brands are so close to the same in so many ways I think it comes down more to just which feels right to you. I always seem to have to fight with Pany images to get the color and WB right - even the raws can be tough in un-natural lighting. For me. I've obviously seen a LOT of great images that people have gotten with Pany cameras. I never had an issue with the GH2 in natural outdoor light but both the GH2 and G3 turned into wrestling matches for me to get good images taken in un-natural low light conditions. The Olys, even with the lesser sensor, seemed to pull this off a lot better, and with the IBIS, I was getting a higher hit rate for low light shots anyway. Given the improvements in the EM5, its an easy call for me. I didn't even like the G3 as much as my epl3 despite its obviously better sensor.

But if you have a Pany currently and you get on with the files well enough, there's no question that the G3 is a lot of camera for relatively little money. And if you don't do a lot of low light work, there's not much downside at all, if any.

-Ray

My experiences are similar to Ray's. I tried the G3 - actually I had it ordered based on specifications and review, but mighty glad I tried it in hand at the store before swiping my card. I really wanted to love it but we just didn't gel and it feels a little wrong in the hand (mixture of build and ergonomics). The EP3 stole my heart that day....and based on similar styling and ergonomics the GF1 is my go-to today (we have all heard the tale of the rattlesnake and how my love for the PL25 charmed me from Oly). So my advice is try before you buy, as you might find it as cramped and flimsy as I did. Last Thursday I played with a GX1 in store...was very very very nice - especially with the new VF - though it could do with a couple of centimeters more on the width!!! Any chance of trialing these two (G3 & GX1) side-by-side Bill?

I had to sell my G3 as my iMac packed up big time and i had to get another PC. It is a superb camera and i would 100% reccomend it. Having had a play with the OM-D I would still get the G3 as the price difference is far to great to pay for style and a little bit extra IQ/performance. I was liking the OM-D lots but I think I'm going to get another G3 body soon when funds allow. You could get the G3 now then wait for 6-12 months for the price to drop on the OM-D?

Maybe a bit too radical, but why don't you just stick with the three you've already bought in the last ten months and get the best out of them? Or, at least, take some time to consider why you think you actually need another camera?

I bought the G3 sight unseen, after very favorable experiences with the GF1 and G2. I could not get used to the ergonomics, build quality, controls, etc. - particularly the grip. I still have the camera, though, because I really want it to work for me. In the meantime, though, I jumped to the Oly side and am generally pleased.

Maybe a bit too radical, but why don't you just stick with the three you've already bought in the last ten months and get the best out of them? Or, at least, take some time to consider why you think you actually need another camera?
I'm so with olli on this ... the E-M5 has been discussed to death, with some people seeming to go from wild enthusiasm to disappointment without ever having been able to pick the damn thing up and look through the viewfinder ... so, why not cancel the order, use what you've got and then, when you actually get the chance to pick one up and find you don;t want to put it down, buy it ... or not ...

My standard answer for the last six months and certainly for the next four (occasionally to myself) is "Wait until Photokina in the fall", which is analogous to "keep your power dry".

Or not, you only live once. I did buy three cameras last year after all... but only kept one.

But waiting might be rewarding, as something else is bound to come out between then and now that will get GAS juices flowing.

My own personal plan for dealing with GAS is that if I buy a camera, I must sell a camera. At the moment I'm content, not buying or selling anything, just enjoying using the tools I have.

Think back over your last couple camera purchases......have they really changed your final images that much....really? Be an early adopter if you have too much cash and enjoy toys, but don't do it because the camera is better in any real measurable way. (and don't show me charts and test shots.....the cameras we all have are better than 99% can handle)

The GAS will just come back anyways. May as well wait until the GH3 comes out and buy an OMD used when the market is flooded with "like new" cameras with under 1000 shutter actuations. I wanted an E-P3 when they came out, but I wasn't paying $900. Here we are 6 months later and picked one up (with a $200 viewfinder) for $700. That is exactly the same is finding $400 on the sidewalk if you ask me. And as much as I love cameras......cash is better.

I tried really hard to like the G3, but the ergonomics of it just wasn't for me. Like Ray, I also have issues with Panasonic's WB under artificial and/or low lighting. Last but not least, for whatever reason, the EVF/LCD on the Pany m4/3 I've owned (GF2/GH2/G3) also did not always give me the correct exposure preview. To my eyes, the Oly m4/3 cameras I've owned EP2/EP3 did a better job.

That being said, I won't give my 2 cents about buying new gear or not. I probably bought/returned/sold/exchanged a dozen cameras in 2011. :(

Not much of a debate on the value of the G3. Do you want/need the weather sealing or IBIS? Would buying the E-M5 hold off the GAS longer than a G3 purchase would?

My standard answer for the last six months and certainly for the next four (occasionally to myself) is "Wait until Photokina in the fall", which is analogous to "keep your power dry".

I would normally say that, with anything electronics (especially computers), buy what you want/need to use now and then don't look at the new models until the time is right for an upgrade (3 years?). The only problem is that I rarely follow my own advice!

That said, I agree that waiting for Photokina this year may not be a bad idea, *if* you are debating which system to buy into [next]. We still have CSC announcements coming from Leica and, it sounds like, Canon. Also, that will give some more review/user experience time for all of the new bodies that have already been announced.

Think back over your last couple camera purchases......have they really changed your final images that much....really? Be an early adopter if you have too much cash and enjoy toys, but don't do it because the camera is better in any real measurable way. (and don't show me charts and test shots.....the cameras we all have are better than 99% can handle)

Luke - can you please send me a daily, morning PM with this message! Seriously, good stuff to think about when debating on a new camera.

It is a blast being an early adopter as you feel a part of the excitement when everyone is posting images, talking experiences, etc. Of course, some of that talk turns to half-baked firmware and hardware issues! :D

I have the G3 and love it. But I toss my hat into the ring with those who say Bill should cancel his E-M5 order and wait at least until Photokina. Reasons:

1) By then, there could be something new and unexpected that Bill really flips over.
2) By then, the E-M5 may be readily available everywhere and there might even be the occasional sale or incentive from Olympus.
3) By then, the G5 and the GH3 should be out.
4) By then there may be some brand-new leftover G3s around going for firesale prices.

Of course, if Bill does go for the G3 now with a total outlay of $250 or less, he'd be getting a great camera. Personally, I have no problem with the files from the G3 and the slight green cast that used to be there on images from earlier Panny Gs is gone. I also don't find it flimsy. And while the size is fine for me, that's a completely personal thing. But one cannot dispute the value proposition that the G3 reprsents.

If Bill thinks that he might not be in an economic position to buy one of the better micro four-thirds cameras by Photokina time, then by all means get the G3 now and enjoy. But if it's not critical, I believe he may be pleased with his choices if he waits.

There are hardly any revolutions to be expected, better expect evolutions. Cameras are very mature these days, such that one can be very relaxed and buy the camera which fits ones needs today without caring which cameras will eventually be announced later this year. If a camera fits ones needs today, it will still fit ones needs after Photokina. If one can wait until Photokina or later, one may rethink ones needs anyway, because no one who really needs a new camera now can wait for several months.

Buying gear which is one year old is not the worst thing to do. One can be sure that bad surprises are not to be expected. Buying new gear means buying gear without really knowing what one will get. Cameras produced in the first batch happen to be flawed sometimes. There is no manufacturer who has never had such problems and it does not matter how expensive products are. Your favorite raw converter understands the camera, too, such that you need not change your workflow temporarily.

The GAS will just come back anyways. May as well wait until the GH3 comes out and buy an OMD used when the market is flooded with "like new" cameras with under 1000 shutter actuations. I wanted an E-P3 when they came out, but I wasn't paying $900. Here we are 6 months later and picked one up (with a $200 viewfinder) for $700. That is exactly the same is finding $400 on the sidewalk if you ask me. And as much as I love cameras......cash is better.

A really good example.

For me it starts with why I need to add or change gear. What am I not able to do that new gear will change? The answer may be "not much", and that might be OK with you.

I think the G3 is an awesome camera in many ways, with amazing value. As others have done, I suggest setting everything aside and try one out. Will it work for you and help you do some things better?

Also, beware of specifications, and focus on the portions of reviews relevant to you. For example, it might be way cool that a camera has awesome high ISO performance - but if you don't do much low light shooting then it may not be relevant.

I intended to make do with what I have but ended up with a GAS attack and bought a GF1 off ebay. Before getting it I carefully read reviews on the GF line from the GF1 to the GFX1 and to me it did not seem like that series had advanced much when you consider just handling & performance. I know someone who felt the same about the G line and sold their G3 and went back to their G1. Sure, with the newer models you can shoot in more extreme conditions but is that really essential? I got the GF1 with 20mm lens for just over £300 and it's cured my GAS for now and it should hold its' value quite well. A new camera on the other hand..

Looking back, I can see some rational and some irrational decision-making in my purchase progression. GF1 was first: rational, based on solid advice from a mu43 regular. G1 (used), rational, needed a viewfinder and this option was cheap. G2: semi-rational,need for video, improved controls. G3: largely irrational, based on a frenzy to land the best price using Panasonic Direct. Result of that? A camera that disappointed me from the moment i unboxed it and was arguably inferior to the G2 in terms of things that mattered to me. Lesson learned? Nah.. I repeated some of the errors in judgment on the Oly side! Believe it's time for my wife to take away my credit cards...

Looking back, I can see some rational and some irrational decision-making in my purchase progression. GF1 was first: rational, based on solid advice from a mu43 regular. G1 (used), rational, needed a viewfinder and this option was cheap. G2: semi-rational,need for video, improved controls. G3: largely irrational, based on a frenzy to land the best price using Panasonic Direct. Result of that? A camera that disappointed me from the moment i unboxed it and was arguably inferior to the G2 in terms of things that mattered to me.

Lesson learned? Nah.. I repeated some of the errors in judgment on the Oly side! Believe it's time for my wife to take away my credit cards...

Back