Fuji Going X10

The X10 is a wonderful camera. I sold mine for the money, and when I had the opportunity decided I'd like to try the X100 (which I love). But there's nothing wrong with the X10 just because the X20 is out -- or about to be. Now I love the optical hybrid finder in the X100 and might prefer the X20 just for the shooting information in the optical finder, but not having it on the x10 never especially bothered me. I enjoyed shooting with that camera like with few others.

As a X10 shooter I agree it's a great camera and certainly just as capable in terms of being a good photographic tool as it was when it was brand new and selling for full MSRP.

Considering how quickly digital camera technology moves and how people get wrapped up in the latest stuff the only way to get a good "return on your investment" is to either make money using your gear as a working photographer or keep using the gear you have for as long as you can. I believe Ken Rockwell said something to the effect that buying digital cameras is like throwing away money ... it's gone in 18 months.

If you are into EXR sensors, the X10 is still the compact camera. If you are into more conventional sensor technology, the X20 is the better alternative. The X10 is for users who mostly use JPEGs from the camera (directly or with the built-in RAW converter). The X20 is for users who are not only interested in JPEGs, but want also have an optional high-quality RAW workflow.

Of course, the X20 offers many improvements regarding handling, unsability and speed, and there's the much-improved OVF and PDAF. OTOH, it's also more expensive. I have seen tempting prices around 300 EUR incl. tax for new X10s here in Germany. The X10 is just as capable as ever, WDS is a faint memory, so if it fits your user profile, go for it.

I've just gone X10 - I did have an X20 on order but at the last minute I thought do I really need to spend £200 on the changes? So I bought an X10 yesterday which arrived this morning. I've got the battery on charge now, will be playing later today :D

I've just gone X10 - I did have an X20 on order but at the last minute I thought do I really need to spend £200 on the changes? So I bought an X10 yesterday which arrived this morning. I've got the battery on charge now, will be playing later today :D

Congratulations! Looking forward to the photos.

You just have to decide if you're an 'early adopter', a 'newest-fastest-better-est' kind of guy, or are you getting something to keep for a while.

I'm the latter. So when I got my X10, I knew it was something to keep that was going to take me more than a little while to learn how to really use well. Sure, the value drops, but aside from a very few cases, that applies to most digital cameras. I don't buy many cameras, and I like to live with the ones I do get for quite a while.

Right now, the remaining new ones will have price reductions, as well as lots of guys bailing on them in CL and EBay to get the new 20 or something else. Great market to get an X10 right now. I'll get an X20, but it will be later for me. And I certainly won't feel like I'm missing out until I do, it's a terrific little camera. Plus, when I do, all the accessories carry over !

Glad to see other folks making the same decision. I sold off my X100 in part to fund the X20, but after reading a lot of X10 reviews and all the X10 related posts on SC and this forum, I went ahead and bought a second hand X10 for almost $300 less than the X20. Since I got into m43 three years ago, I've always bought second hand or refurbed, with no issues. I am looking forward to trying out the X10.

To my mind, the X10 is pretty close to being perfect. Yeah, it has issues...but it's small, it's beautifully put together, it's sturdy as a tank, it's flexible in terms of control, it's quiet and doesn't draw much attention (which is nice if you do street work), and because it's relatively inexpensive you don't have to fret too much about it. I'm completely smitten with mine.

As an indication of how sturdy it is, yesterday I dropped it. I always carry it around using a Gordy Strap, but for some idiotic reason I'd decided to put the camera away in its bag while I was on a moving escalator. Phenomenally stupid move. The escalator hiccuped, the camera slid out of my hand -- and bang. I picked it up. Not a mark on it. I took it out shooting an hour or two later, and it worked perfectly. It's a tough little camera.

That said, I expect I'll someday trade it in for the X20. But I'm in absolutely no hurry.

And something else is really beginning to make me wonder:

I think after the X20 is in wide circulation, I am really starting to think we will see a difference in the output of each. I think there will be guys who ultimately will prefer the EXR sensor in the 10 to the X-Trans in the 20, and vice-versa. Not bad either way, but I think there will be a difference that's not apparent right now until the 20 is in a lot of hands. We'll see . . . .

I couldn't afford an X20, so bought a used X10 from Park Cameras for £200 which included a warranty too.

Still learning how to use it properly, but I love the EXR sensor and the extended dynamic range it can produce. I know I'm only getting 6mp and a loss of overall IQ in terms of clarity and detail in respect of pixel definition. But I therefore get an improvement in detail captured by a greater dynamic range with more shadow detail and less blown out highlights. Swings and roundabouts I know.

Very happy with my choice though.

Does anyone know what the correct lens cap size would be for an X10 with a 40mm filter fitted - is it 40 or 40.5? Although the supplied lens cap is really nice I want something a bit more low profile and that can dangle from a string. (I looked at the JJC opening cap but it's as ugly as sin and you can't use it with a filter).

Does anyone know what the correct lens cap size would be for an X10 with a 40mm filter fitted - is it 40 or 40.5? Although the supplied lens cap is really nice I want something a bit more low profile and that can dangle from a string. (I looked at the JJC opening cap but it's as ugly as sin and you can't use it with a filter).

I am not sure where I read it ( might be here) but there is quite some info on this. If I recall correctly, voigtlander provides one. Not sure about size though but that is easy to search for on the wide, wide web.

Back