Fuji Good article: Is the X-Pro 1 for you?

My latest copy of BJP (British Journal of Photography) April 2012 (yeah well it takes a while to arrive here is Oz), words it precisely as I feared.

"But as I noted earlier, its main selling point for many potential customers is more esoteric - the idea that you are buying into something from a bygone age that represents timeless quality and attention to detail. The latter is emphasised by the slick Leica-like packaging and accompanying faux-leather bound notebook with oversized pencil and classy optional accessories. None of this does it for me. Apart from the undoubted high image quality, I am not sure what this camera is. It's not a rangefinder - even if it pretends to look like one, and it's not a reflex, even if the poor EVF hopes to give users the notion it might be."
Fat-fingered from: Jonathan Eastland, BJP, vol. 159 issue #7799 p. 73

I agree the fact it is neither fish nor fowl has put me well off. I always hoped it would be the M8 or M9 without the price-tag - naive I know :blush: But to have the unit remain with fly-by-wire focusing I mean c'mon!!! Understood if they said, yeah but most customers would forego MF in preference for our superior AF. Ummmm...then why make an M-mount adapter available? Hmmm...Back to the drawing board for Fuji me thinks and back to the waiting bench for me.:crying:

Just my opinion of course...but such a shame.

C'mon Mark, don't let those stuffy Brits make your mind up for you. I acknowledge that it's the wrong camera for many, but for the ones who love it, you can't pry it out of their hands. Can't be all bad.

I'm not sure I buy that analysis. I certainly didn't buy the X Pro for that. So they are at least 100% dead wrong when it comes to me. I bought it because the image quality is stunning. Prior to the X Pro I had pretty much settled on Full Frame Nikon. I've since sold my Nikon gear and only use the X Pro and X100. I could really care less whether it was a rangefinder, DLSR, or view camera. The only three things that matter to me are A) image quality B) small but not tiny (most MFT cameras are great but too small for me) and C) as little button pressing and menu diving as possible. Plus I really like to set the aperture on the lens. I shoot aperture priority with no other auto presets.

I would never buy a Lecia because I just can't justify spending $6000 on a camera. I did consider a Nikon D800 but the more I thought about it, I knew I would never use it.

As for back to the drawing board, I think Fuji is doing just fine. I seriously doubt they planned on the camera selling in Canon Rebel numbers. The camera will find it's way to the users who like it. They have made great lenses for it and will have all the standard primes you need available next year (20mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 90mm eqivalents, I do with they would come out with a 135mm equivalent).

There are all kinds of great cameras out there, you just have to find the one that works for you. If all the cameras were the same it would be kind of boring (like 99.9% of camera reviews which seem to operate under the assumption that there is one "magic" camera).

What would I take pictures of the dogs with...... :D I just REALLLLLLLLLY love the X Pro and X100. I just wish I could take good photos......

Your photos look GREAT to me. I sometimes put down my own dog snapshots so I know where you're coming from. Just because they don't hang dog photos up in museums doesn't mean they can't bring just as much (or more) joy to the viewer. I don't know art, but I know what I like.

Sorry don't know what happened there. I have these five kids from the neighborhood hanging out in my yard. They have been out there for two hours. In between coming in my kitchen to eat all my food. They have eaten all my trail mix, almost an entire box of Cheerios, a bunch of cheese, they drank an entire big bottle of Simply Lemonade and most of a big bottle of High Pulp Simply Orange Juice. They have all my markers and a ream of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and lord knows what else they have dragged out of my carport closet. My driveway is a huge mess....but......they have worn the dogs out. They are currently hiding in the bushes. Gonna be a short walk tonight!!!!! :D

I'm not sure I buy that analysis. I certainly didn't buy the X Pro for that. So they are at least 100% dead wrong when it comes to me. I bought it because the image quality is stunning.
If I buy it, it will be for that reason, also. IQ is what I look for in all my cameras (which is why the small sensors -FZ100 and F550EXR- are going up on gumtree this coming week). I just can't afford it right now, because I would want to buy the 3 lens kit and that's out of the question unless I sell my K-5 and all my lenses. And I don't want to do that, either.

I don't know if I would sell a K5 (which is a REALLY great camera) to get it unless it was the right camera for you. See if you can try one out first. I love the X Pro but it's not for everyone. The K5 is the best APSC DSLR I've ever used.

Luke,

While not specifically X Pro related (these are taken with an X 10) here you go....the future Diane Arbus...... Sabrina just kept insisting she wanted to take my picture right after they woke me up. Note the careful use of asymmetrical composition to enhance the "homeless' person look.

My excuse for the disheveled nature of my appearance is A) They woke me up from my nap B) at one point there were 4 of them down here C) my hair is funky anyway because I'm growing it out from the buzz cut. Also I did just order two new pairs of glasses from Target this AM..... Sabrina insisted on taking this picture right after they woke me up by ringing my door bell non stop to give me the good news that: "Mom said we come down here an play this afternoon!!!" Boy I was thrilled.............

My driveway is a huge mess, they ate half my food, and drank all my lemonade and orange juice. The dogs are tired though. :D

Well....the dogs are back inside passed out. I tried getting them in the car to go to the lake and they were done. I guess we'll go to the grocery store...again...after it cools down. I don't know how many dog treats they gave them. I had a bag of those Waggin' Train chicken strips. It's empty. I forgot I gave it to them in all the commotion. It cost $12. I guess they won't be hungry tonight. Everyone has eaten but me. I didn't even get my ice coffee I usually have after my nap.

I'm not sure I buy that analysis. I certainly didn't buy the X Pro for that. So they are at least 100% dead wrong when it comes to me. I bought it because the image quality is stunning. Prior to the X Pro I had pretty much settled on Full Frame Nikon. I've since sold my Nikon gear and only use the X Pro and X100. I could really care less whether it was a rangefinder, DLSR, or view camera. The only three things that matter to me are A) image quality B) small but not tiny (most MFT cameras are great but too small for me) and C) as little button pressing and menu diving as possible. Plus I really like to set the aperture on the lens. I shoot aperture priority with no other auto presets.

Pretty much sums up for me why this camera interests me so much: the IQ, the controls / lack of menu use, and the size is just right.

I actually bought this leather case from Kenji leather that has a back panel flap thingy that covers most of the controls and the LCD. I set the FN button to ISO and use the viewfinder if I want to change it. The Q menu is very useful too but again, I usually just change either the ISO or the aperture according to the exposure meter. There is a little lever on the front that allows you to switch between the OVF and EVF so you can see the menu in the EVF if you like using the OVF (I'm about 50 - 50 on it). The thing I'm always amazed about is A) how accurate the focus is B) how accurate the WB is and C) how accurate the exposure is. Yes, the camera is no speed demon but when it says it's in focus it's in focus and everything works out great especially the exposure (something I couldn't say for the Nikon D700 which required a lot of futzing around in Lightroom). I haven't shot Raw files with it yet but I did down load the RPP program which is supposed to be very good for X Pro raw files. To be honest the JPEG's are just so good that I haven't bothered. They are sharp, in focus and perfectly exposed. So yep it's slow but I find I take fewer photos and rarely delete anything.

I'm not sure I buy that analysis. I certainly didn't buy the X Pro for that. So they are at least 100% dead wrong when it comes to me. I bought it because the image quality is stunning.

Not sure if the reply was directed to me? If so, to reiterate...
"Apart from the undoubted high image quality, I am not sure what this camera is."
Bolding mine.

IQ is conceded, it is all else that is in question. I remember the exact same conversation occurring with the Sigma DP series....

I too would be interested in the Fuji if it came with the same internals but inside different packaging and with a different interface. I wonder if there is an allowance for a future body to control aperture via the body rather than the lens.

Back