Fuji Good article: Is the X-Pro 1 for you?

Nice article, but ...

But if it so happens that you value the particular type of shooting the Fuji is made for, there really is nothing else out there that does it better.

But, exactly what is it made for? I am curious. Unless I missed it, he didn't really answer that question.

Nice article, but ...

But, exactly what is it made for? I am curious. Unless I missed it, he didn't really answer that question.

I kind of think he did answer it - in that if you have to ask, and don't see that it will help you in your photography, then it's not for you.

A lot of words, but his point being? It's not even clear from his write up whether or not he had/has any hands on experience with the Fuji Pro and OM-D respectively.

We have just got them in at work today so i had to have a play. I popped on the 18mm and took some shots OMG!!!! So sharp and wonderful bokeh. Fantastic on macro too!!! Camera is quite light and looks uber sexy. I would love one but the price is bonkers. It's deff a M9 alternative.

A lot of words, but his point being? It's not even clear from his write up whether or not he had/has any hands on experience with the Fuji Pro and OM-D respectively.

Have a look through his blog: he has the Fuji. He wasn't claiming any time with the OMD, but was quoting Hogan.

I kind of think he did answer it - in that if you have to ask, and don't see that it will help you in your photography, then it's not for you.

My impression is the article looks like it's for those who already have it. Cryptic, as Stanleyk put it. Doesn't really help us who don't have it yet.

My impression is the article looks like it's for those who already have it. Cryptic, as Stanleyk put it. Doesn't really help us who don't have it yet.

I see what you mean. It makes more sense (in my view) when read in conjunction with his earlier posts about the Fuji.

I suppose we all want definitive answers too. His approach, built up over several posts, is that the Fuji works for him, but each of us has to decide our own needs and priorities.

Personally, I like the short series of posts he has put up about the Fuji. They answer the questions which I had. So for me, it remains a good and valuable article.

Ah, so I need to go back to his earlier posts. Makes sense. The article would probably make sense by then, too. :) Thanks for the tip!

I haven't used the X Pro and there is no way I would cancel my pre-order, but I think most people would be happier with an OM-D.

Well I think most people would be just as happy with a Panasonic G3, for half the price. I think people (not you stanleyk) need to understand that it's OK to buy the gear that "just" suits your needs best. It doesn't matter that there are other people with different needs, taste, preferences, etc. There isn't a camera for everyone, and there is no "best" camera. There isn't even a "best value" when it comes down to personal needs.

I generally like Thom Hogan (but then again, I generally like Kai Wong) but this particular article of his is no better than the average DPR forums post.

I just re read that. It's actually a good piece. The writer has been very gracious answering questions about the X Pro on DPR (which is a pretty contentious forum). If you read his responses on DPR he's rather enthusiastic about the X Pro, so I think it's commendable that his blog is so balanced. I didn't read Thom Hogan's review just the quote, but then again he's the last of the so called "experts" I would take advice from.

I haven't used the X Pro and there is no way I would cancel my pre-order, but I think most people would be happier with an OM-D.

I pretty much agree. I want to meet the Fuji in person, and read more from photographers, but I feel it meets my needs. But, the OMD is looking like a very impressive camera for a broad range of people. All the same, I am not sure I would have compared the Fuji and the OMD. I think the latter is more comparable to the G3 / GH2, while the Fuji is more comparable to the Nex 7. But hey, that's just me and my oddball nature.

This forum is great example of that. Of all the forums I've tried out over the last few years, this one is less gear headed and hands down has the best actual photography I've ever seen. I learn a lot here. I think that's one of the great things about compact cameras like for example the GRD (which I wish I had). You have to learn to work with the cameras limitations because it's not a 5 D MkII and that makes people more creative!

Ditto!

This forum is great example of that. Of all the forums I've tried out over the last few years, this one is less gear headed and hands down has the best actual photography I've ever seen. I learn a lot here. I think that's one of the great things about compact cameras like for example the GRD (which I wish I had). You have to learn to work with the cameras limitations because it's not a 5 D MkII and that makes people more creative!

Yep.

I suspect the XPro to be a superb camera. Just too Big for my taste...

I was kind of concerned with that too. But what I do is consider the overall bulk and weight. I find that the Nex 7 and it's (allegedly) massive lenses is still remarkably compact and light when I compare it to even small DSLRs. I like video reviews, because then I can see the camera 'in hand'. I know that the Fuji will give the flexibility of various lenses, looks like it will give the IQ I seek, the IQ I desire, and all for way less weight and bulk than I used to drag around.

Of course, that's just me. If I could, I'd probably seek out an X100 too. The people who love it tend to really love it, and generally shoot the same stuff I like to shoot. The difference is that they are good photographers. I'm working on that bit... :)

My advice: If you are happy with the X100, I'd say that you will be very happy with the XP1.

I have that strong impression as well, and I've never handled the X-Pro. I love the X100 and I'd bet the X-Pro is a slightly better camera in most regards and a good bit better in others. I don't think I'd be as happy with it, though, because it would have to play a far larger role in my shooting than the X100 and I don't think I'd be happy with the X100 or the X-Pro for how I'd want to use it. But it may get there with future bodies and lenses. And if not, I could see eventually getting one with maybe just one or two lenses as an add-on to my system, but not the heart of it. But the price is too rich for THAT role in my bag, so I'm happy to wait and see how it develops... I think its gonna be a brilliant camera, though, and if I could afford it, I'd have it AND a mostly complete m43 system. But I still have to choose to some extent, dammit! :cool:

Oh well,

-Ray

This is probably late since the XP1 has been out for sometime and there has already been countless reviews done, however I have come across this vid in youtube that talks about how the camera feels rather than discussing all the technical specs of the camera. I found it quite informative and I thought it might help people who are still sitting on the fence as to whether invest in one or not. You can find the vid here

Back