Micro 4/3 Good first zoom lens?

I owned a OM-D EM-5 paired with the 12-40mm f2.8 Pro lens. That made for a great travel and walkaround combination. Plus, with weather resistance I did not worry about wet weather. The 12-40mm adds a bit of weight and heft to the EM-5, but the versatility and image quality is worth it in my opinion. You can find a used 12-40mm from reliable sellers at reasonable prices.

The 5 series, I'd maybe try and get a OM 12-45 f/4 if you want a really good lens that will serve you well in to the future. The OM or Oly 12-40 f/2.8 is better, bigger, heavier, and more pro level. Panasonic ones mentioned above are good ones, as are the few Olympus ones with variable apertures (like 3.5-5.6), but typically not optically great.

I few used 12-45 f/4 or 12-40 f/2.8 can be had for decent prices.
That's an excellent idea - the 12-45/4. Built for the EM type line

My m5.3 menu may be a little different, but on mine you press the “menu” button, select the spanner wrench, select “Rec View”, and change that to an amount of time you want your image displayed.

And a second vote for adding the Panasonic 35-100 f4-5.6 if you ever desire a little telephoto, which is FF equivalent to 70-200mm in a very tiny, lightweight, and sharp package. Mine is a great little lens.

Back