Good option for up-scaling?

wt21

Hall of Famer
I don't pay that much attention to up/down scaling, so I'm not certain of the best tools, but I know there's a whole science behind it.

I have some old pictures from 2001 shot on about a 1MP camera. These include pictures of my oldest child in the delivery room. Is there a reasonable tool for up-scaling the picture? We like to view these on our computers, but they end up taking just a fraction of the total screen real estate, so I was hoping to make a reasonable up-scaled version to maybe fill the screen???

Is this even possible?

Scott Kelby suggested years ago to create a macro in PS that increases the image 10%, then run the macro over and over until you get to where you want to be. Worth a shot.

Thanks for the helps! Sadly, I don't have PS (but I do have PSE -- will that do it?). I did check out Perfect Resize site. They have a free demo, so I'll give that a whirl!

Thanks for the helps! Sadly, I don't have PS (but I do have PSE -- will that do it?). I did check out Perfect Resize site. They have a free demo, so I'll give that a whirl!

Yes, PSE will upsize although it doesn't have the macro capability of full PS. Try Image>Resize and bump the pixel dimensions up 10% using the Bicubic Smoother option. Repeat until you reach the desired pixel dimensions.

Note that even a 1 megapixel file has pixel dimensions in excess of 1024 by 768, so you may not have to go too far to fill the monitor screen.

Thanks Chuck!

Well, this was a Sony consumer digital cam from 2001. I think it was interpolated up to 1.3MP or something like that. Back then our computer screen was VGA (or maybe 800X600), so the images looked OK, so we even downsized them to save on memory stick space! Short story is I have a number of 320X240 shots. I have no idea if I can realistically do anything with them, but if I could get them to display on screen even just a little larger, that would be helpful. Or perhaps I should just concentrate on getting them to print on 4X6 (or maybe 5X7) and store them in a shoebox and call it a success :)

Playing with Perfect Resize, there are even some smoothing tools, which could be handy, because even the larger pics show some jaggies from the interpolation.

Other tips, given the above, are greatly appreciated!

Back