Google Google Pixel 3 (I think I'm done with "traditional" cameras)

I just browsed through dpreview's gallery of the pixel 3. My main takeaways:
- In terms of dynamic range and color it's pretty awesome. No, make that really awesome.
- In terms of resolution it can't compete with a dedicated camera like an rx100 series, even in super high res mode. This would only make a difference at large viewing sizes or heavy crops though.
- portrait mode's masks are usually - maybe 90% of the cases - good enough for viewing at small sizes, perhaps up to a tablet size. Viewing them on a large monitor or a large print would show masking mistakes on every portrait mode image I've seen. In general, I wouldn't feel comfortable relying on it in cases where I want to be sure I have a shallow dof image.

Personally I like to have at least one camera that's no bigger than "jacket pocketable", because even on special trips, convenience is the key to taking pictures whenever you see something worthwile. So while even a capable smartphone would never be my "full day of shooting" camera (because holding a smartphone in photography position makes my hand cramp up after a few minutes), it could theoretically replace a convenient compact camera for any occasion where photography is not the main purpose (and for me, it rarely is).

However, although even my holidays are rarely specifically about photography, I do like to print some photos of every trip, and print them Big - 50cm / 20 inches or more on the long side; I also like me some bokeh from time to time. In short, I'd be thrilled to have a phone with a camera as good as the pixel 3's for day to day stuff, but it's not quite there yet for replacing a serious compact, at least for my purposes.

One thing I noticed is that dedicated camera usage in the west is down, but in many parts of Asia people still like using both DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. In fact, because camera equipment is so expensive, I find the craft to be more well respected. I notice used camera equipment in Asia tends to be treated with more care, which I think is a reflection of the photographers who use the gear.

Also in Asia, Fuji and Olympus are quite popular and I saw lots of young people using cheap C-mount lenses to get more artistic photographs. This is the reason cameras like the Olympus Pen-Lite has so many of those darn art filters! Also venues are more apt to create installations that are photo friendly in public spaces. I live in LA and honestly I've yet to see any venue go out of their way to create interesting photo ops. Also what's annoying if a venue in Los Angeles has a visually interesting installation to take photos at...it's usually on semi-private spaces, so if you look even remotely professional they'll kick you out.

Also just gauging pictures posted by friends on social media, I have many friends with the latest smartphones and honestly their photos don't look great at all. In fact I'd say photographs have just gotten progressively worst as people have shifted away from dedicated cameras. All these new tech innovations don't mean squat, unless the end user is willing to maximize the potential of the technology.
In the US, folks are more concerned with privacy than photo ops. One unfortunate photo and half the planet is laughing at you, or at least that is the concern.
None of my friends ever carried a camera before the phones became the de facto carry camera. They may have had a small compact, but they never used it like they now use their phone. There is also a lower standard for image quality than we like to think. Remember the instamatic days? Phones have better quality.
Please note that I find your observations really interesting. I’m just making a few hypotheses as to why they happen.

In the US, folks are more concerned with privacy than photo ops. One unfortunate photo and half the planet is laughing at you, or at least that is the concern.
None of my friends ever carried a camera before the phones became the de facto carry camera. They may have had a small compact, but they never used it like they now use their phone. There is also a lower standard for image quality than we like to think. Remember the instamatic days? Phones have better quality.
Please note that I find your observations really interesting. I’m just making a few hypotheses as to why they happen.

Venues are totally missing out not building temporary installations that are easy to setup while integrating photo ops, creating social media hype and attracting customers all-in-one. For example, I saw a bunch of these LED light tunnels when I was in Bangkok. People love these!

39105905541_b9ba771ffa_b.jpg

Street Photography of Bangkok Thailand
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

27327455769_b365f26278_b.jpg

38223460195_0702d5daf3_b.jpg

The Asian domestic market is definitely a special case. In fact, the Nikon 1 system developed the way it did feature-wise because it was informed in part by a core user group of young single women in Japan. Hence the J-series and lack of external controls and the propensity to force automatic preview of the last shot taken.

I think it's not so much an appreciation for technical Image Quality as much as it is more of the so-called "At The Moment" (ATM) phenomenon. People's memories are now streamed into media channels and have about the shelf life as short as double-tapping the Instagram image (to Like) and moving on. If I sound like a Luddite, I should also point out that above behavior describes me to a small T on IG. :) Except I don't have the app open 24/7/365 on my phone. Occasionally I will pop in, see the last five images from people I follow (mostly other photogs I know personally) and like them if appropriate.

Sounds like me, Armando... I dont seem to fit that instant gratification thing, which is pretty much what IG is about, though I do have a few friends who are the same and post infrequently, as I do. I'm more likely to process a photo taken with a "real" camera and post it there, than use my phone camera. I really only use that for quick snaps of something I made for dinner, to send to a friend who does the same, and neither of us post it on IG or FB... Most people who live on there, seem to have the attention span of a gnat, so I cant see the point.

Just had a look at Mariko's Flickr M a r i k o ... one word... WOW! Imagine what she would do with a "better" camera!

Very possibly, she would do worse. A "better" camera introduces a lot of unfamiliar controls, variables, and user experience. iPhones are very simple as far as useability. And it's the camera she knows inside and out.

Very possibly, she would do worse. A "better" camera introduces a lot of unfamiliar controls, variables, and user experience. iPhones are very simple as far as useability. And it's the camera she knows inside and out.

True, but imagine if she adapted to a different camera. She has a great eye. Of course, having seen her iPhone X stuff, I am now hankering to update my 6S. A ten (X), or a tennis (XS) is the only question.

She could get better dynamic range and detail for sure. But then we’re getting into things that impress photographers. To me, her getting a better camera will just add weight, expense, and more work to her process. And it won’t change her compositions of how she sees the world.

I never liked to shoot with a phone because of the ergonomics. Moreover, I don't personally buy the argument that you can be stealthy shooting with a phone instead of a camera. People will know you're shooting whenever you turn your phone in horizontal orientation.

But these new 3-camera phones are starting to tempt me because they start to offer the fields of view I'd like to see in my camera bag. Something at 21mm or below, something at 28-35 and something at 50 or over. This is pretty much my holy trinity right there. That's a huge thing because I don't like to change lenses!

I’ll stick with my iPhone 6 and Cortex Cam app :D Cheaper option

Just a quick comparison from almost dark room

A5C36257-0374-429F-97CE-110F6E3A3007.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
9F9FD58E-8124-4097-80EB-49E1769324C2.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back