Google +

I think its entirely possible that I won't stay with it for any great length of time.

Don, if you dont want to participate in google+, heres what to do... remove everyone from your circles (go to your circles icon and you'll get the page with everyone's name... right click there and you get an option to remove from circles). Once you have done that, I'd just log out and ignore it. You might change your mind later on and want to use it again.

I understand. I've fixed mine so I won't get notifications...but if I want I can still look in from time to time. My brain just can't handle too many more outlets/inputs in life - though I can see the value in the premiss.

Suddenly my G+ was switched over to a strange language. (I tried the option to switch over to another language)
Then starts the problem: how to get it back to dutch.
I went to settings and I managed to go back to dutch. (I did remember somehow where the language option button was)

I was reading an article yesterday about Google+. They are going to put a icon on the page to let you stream your music that you upload to Google Music to your friends if they want. When that happens, it will take off with young folks big time.

I'd never heard of Google Music which is strange because I thought I was aware of most things Google. So I googled it and its currently only available in the US, no doubt down to those music companies and their convoluted copyright issues.

I'm not that impressed with Google Music. They give you storage for 20,000 songs of any kind, even FLAC. So the storage allowed is a lot. But you have to upload it to their servers. So if you have a fast upload speed, I guess it would be OK. I uploaded a couple of albums and it works pretty good. It caches for a few seconds when you first start so it hardly ever skips while streaming to your phone. But the Audiogalaxy app I have on my desktop streams a little better, is free, and it's not uploaded to some unknown server in China before it gets streamed to me. Also Google music is not a music backup service. You can only stream once you upload the song. You can stream or delete it, but not download it.

I have taken the decision to delete my google+ account. I have a lot of concerns about the ubiquity of google as it is, and adding one more G service which will ultimately be a LOT more than it currently is, has taken me to a place I don't want to go. I like social networking but I dont want any large rich corporation to own my network. email, instant messenger and even IRC work for me.

Sorry it doesn't work for you Sue. Thanks for the original invite though. I'm loving it - finding so much fantastic photography.

I share the concern about giving one company so much control of my data, but one thing that Google does that makes me worry a bit less is that they, more than Facebook, take measures to ensure that you can control your data. They have a website with instructions and tools that lets you download and store your data so that you don't, on Google's whim, one day lose it all.

The Data Liberation Front

Of course, on Google's whim, they could remove these instructions and tools, but I'll cross that bridge if I ever need to come to it.

Here's a link to the Google + Project - Settings - Downgrade from Google + Downgrade from Google+ : Settings - Google+ Help Hopefully you'll get there, though you'll have to log in to your Google Account. I got to this page via Dashbooard on Google.

This should do it for you.

Right now, I still have mine but I don't use it.

Here's a picture:

Attachments

• Google plus .jpg
    Google plus .jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 133
Well, I found that I really wasn't using it - so Google + is gone for me, for now. I can see its value but decided to put it on its virtual shelf for now. Perhaps down the line I'll change my mind.

Google also make it very simple to delete or unsubscribe (unlike FB) so for you folks that want to leave sign into google plus, click on the tools menu (the circular 'gear' symbol in the top right) go to Google+ Help then select Settings and follow the instructions.

Back