Micro 4/3 Got a new to me LX100, now what?

Casey

Veteran
Name
Casey
Well, my willpower was all but gone today when I saw an open box LX100 at the store. Seemed in great condition, with all the goodies. I can return it if I don't love it so that's not a concern. Only thing is that it is missing a manual.

So, what tips do I need to know right away? I know it's been out a while but I was bored and figured I would give m43 an attempt. I've never had anything in an m43 setup, but I've had a Lumix LX3 (currently my 8yo daughters camera), and an LX7. These were all before I got the Fuji-itis and went full into the x100 world of things.

Anyone still loving their LX100? I know it's not the newest tech but I'm okay with that as well.

Will mostly be shooting random street, nature and lots of B&W if it can hold a candle against my GR in that aspect.

Well, my willpower was all but gone today when I saw an open box LX100 at the store. Seemed in great condition, with all the goodies. I can return it if I don't love it so that's not a concern. Only thing is that it is missing a manual.

So, what tips do I need to know right away? I know it's been out a while but I was bored and figured I would give m43 an attempt. I've never had anything in an m43 setup, but I've had a Lumix LX3 (currently my 8yo daughters camera), and an LX7. These were all before I got the Fuji-itis and went full into the x100 world of things.
Anyone still loving their LX100? I know it's not the newest tech but I'm okay with that as well. Will mostly be shooting random street, nature and lots of B&W if it can hold a candle against my GR in that aspect.
[/QUOTE]

It's a well-built camera with an excellent general-purpose lens, better in most ways than the LX7, and a superb indoor low-light camera. I've gotten great results with it.

“… tips ... right away.” I suggest that you not use the camera in Program mode (shutter speed at A, and aperture at A). Always check that the the exposure compensation dial is at 0 before you adjust it yourself. On page 8 of the Custom settings menu, select iA as “Press and Hold” to preclude setting the the camera in iA mode by just momentarily pressing the iA button. Go through the main menu and select the settings that you are comfortable with. Read/view various users' set up schemes. There are many options so I suggest you download the Advanced Operating Manual.

"Anyone still loving their LX100?” I am. It’s a great camera that requires a gentle touch and studied approach.

Went and took care of the iA button, and a few basic setup options.

When I'm tweaking the modes like "standard, neutral...etc" how should I handle the noise reduction setting? Is 0 indicating it is OFF, or do I need to bump it all the way down to -5 for it to be OFF?

Went and took care of the iA button, and a few basic setup options.

When I'm tweaking the modes like "standard, neutral...etc" how should I handle the noise reduction setting? Is 0 indicating it is OFF, or do I need to bump it all the way down to -5 for it to be OFF?

The manual indicates that -5 would be ‘OFF’ . I haven’t explored this option. Try taking a few pictures with different NR settings.

One of the great features I've enjoyed for JPEG shooting is the highlight/shadow settings. I like those better than any 'HDR' that I've tried.

The cameraergonomics blog has a series of four posts that deal with the setup of the LX100. I found them extremely useful. They will help you navigate without the manual, and, of course, you can download a pdf of the manual off the net.

Here's the first one: Camera Ergonomics: Setting Up the LX100 Part 1 Basic Decisions

Here's the link to the Panasonic Advanced Features manual for the LX100: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dmc-lx100_adv_en_om.pdf

Cheers, Jock

Here's the link to the Panasonic Advanced Features manual for the LX100: ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dmc-lx100_adv_en_om.pdf

Cheers, Jock
Strangely the document in Europe is called "Operating Instructions for Advanced Features" rather than "Owner's Manual for Advanced Features". I assume there must be a difference somewhere but after the title page I can't see anything.

Back