Micro 4/3 Got my E-P3 today!

wolfie

Veteran
I have the distinction of being the first purchaser of the Olympus E-P3 in the country (New Zealand) according the agents as I rushed over after work to pick it up.

Correction - I actually got my E-P3 double zoom kit today - the 14-42 and 40-150 MSC zooms.
I'm so used to DSLRs that the lightness of the body and lenses is *wow*. And yes the touch-shutter function is *Wow* - and yes the AF speed is *WOW*:eek:
In domestic lighting that had my K7 and kit zoom hunting - the P3 just nails it the blink of an eye - time after time. Focus zips from 25cm to 5 metres before you even realised it has focused and taken a pin-sharp image in low light (iso1600, f5.6, 1/50 sec).
The body has a good solid metal feel and a pleasant quality "heft". The lenses are shockingly light after DSLR examples for the last few years.
Will post pics very soon after I upload some in a few minutes.
Feels great to be back with Olympus, especially with a winner like this camera.

A bit of unboxing type stuff ...
IMG_1627s.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

IMG_1629s.jpg

IMG_1631s.jpg

IMG_1634s.jpg

IMG_1636s.jpg

Beyond mere AF speed

While the blazing fast AF is great, I reckon the touch-shutter is going to revolutionize candid photography.

The stealth aspect is that you dont need to even have a finger near the shutter button to take pictures and with your head down looking at the screen, 99% of people would never think you could be taking a picture. :cool:

But even bigger is the AF speed and the ergonomic efficiency of the one touch system means the freedom to compose for the picture elements, particularly with an off-centre main subject, then in one finger touch select focus point & shoot. Not like now where you would usually select an AF point, half press and recompose - by which time could be too late in many situations in my experience.

I've been using it on the family at home already and it is a revelation with a the kit zoom at 14mm at close range. Below is one example of my daughter brushing her teeth - an ideal situation for one touch AF with off centre, moving subject where focus and recompose would struggle.

P8020039s.jpg

What do other E-P3 users thinK?

Congratulations!!!!!!!:yahoo: It's good to see some "unboxing" pictures, wolfie - and I can hear your excitement through the type face!:2thumbs: Can't wait to see and hear more!

P.S. I hadn't seen this picture of your daughter before I posted - the detail in her face, and the edge of her glasses is really excellent. She's beautiful and you are going to be getting some fantastic pictures, I can tell. The whole touch screen thing is very cool sounding!

Love my EP3. It's finally killing off my 5D (Goodbye 5D :( - Micro Four Thirds User Forum). I agree 100% on the touch screen shutter trigger. I was able to use this for some faster moving shots of my daughter riding a Pony, with an off-center subject.

The kit's a bit pricey, IMO, and I am notoriously cheap, so the fact that i sold the kit lens and am keeping the body is a testament to how good it is (at least for me).

Enjoy!

I received my EP3 yesterday after I returned from vacation. Took it out for a very quick spin after work. The touch screen shutter release is surprisingly useful. The camera feels good in hand. I have both the 14-42mm kit zoom and the new 24mm. I'm just getting to know the camera.

BTW does it have the super menu (the alternate display of settings when you press the OK button)? I could not find a way to turn that on. I did enable the custom settings menu.

Yes, but you have to turn it on. I posted some instructions over on mu-43, as it was a bit hidden. I'm on my ipad at present, so finding the mu thead is difficult. I found it in the manual, though. Rest assured, it is there.

Congratulations Wolfie
I just got the call from Park Cameras, and my E-P3 body and 12mm f2 lens should arrive tomorrow afternoon . . . hooray!
I shall be reporting back.

all the best

Great to see all the E-P3 users over here. I love my E-P3 :cloud-9-039:.

I'd better love mine or you'll be in deep doodoo Mr Sabet - it's only on the basis of your affection that I've bought one! :roll eyes:

More seriously - how are you finding the touch screen AF and shutter? I had dismissed it, but now it seems much more interesting.

all the best

Aaaahhhhh Jono.......what goes around, comes around. :rofl:

HI Matey
Only with Olympus - only with Olympus.
to be honest, it's the 20 f2 which has really swung it - don't need the f2, but I would like a quality lens for landscapes in a small package, and this seems like it might just be it.
We'll see!

By the way - does anyone know where to get a beta of the Adobe DNG converter which covers the E-P3?
PM's gratefully received!

Yes, but you have to turn it on. I posted some instructions over on mu-43, as it was a bit hidden. I'm on my ipad at present, so finding the mu thead is difficult. I found it in the manual, though. Rest assured, it is there.

I figured it out. You have to find it in the menus (it's called SCP), then click the Display button while the options are displayed. It then switches over.

I think you'll like it, Jono, and I'm jealous of you for the 12mm f/2!

I've always been an eye level VF guy, but I think the combination of fast AF with touch AF/shutter is going to change that. With DSLRs I was usually did focus/recompose. With my Pana bodies (G1/GH1/GH2), the camera AF selection was generally smart enough to pick the right spot. Being able to reach out and touch the particular tomato I want to be focused is yet another step forward.

5995352471_4a4476b2d0_o.jpg

The newer Pana cameras can do this as well, but for me it works better with touch (Olympus) rather than pressure (Pana). I can also click the shutter release and count on my E-P3 focusing on the nearer of my son's two eyes. It all works brilliantly.

![/QUOTE]

P.S. I hadn't seen this picture of your daughter before I posted - the detail in her face, and the edge of her glasses is really excellent. She's beautiful and you are going to be getting some fantastic pictures, I can tell. The whole touch screen thing is very cool sounding![/QUOTE]

Hi Amin,
Thanks for the comments. My daughetr is my greatest modelling resource - she'll put up with me hanging around, fiddling with camera settings, for hours.:D She'll very likely be appearing in these columns in the future.
I'm at work now so no more pictures for next ten hours or so.

The kit lenses look to be very good performance & value - but feel a GAS attack - because the body is screaming out for a nice metal lens!

Back